Quick Impressions from a new player

JayTacJayTac Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161312Members
I know there's already a lot of impressions being posted, but the main purpose in posting my own is to ask a few questions for those who have been following the game closely. Basically, I'm hoping some of the "setbacks" are features or tweaks that plan to be implemented in the future.

No stat tracking? If this is a competitive fps, I think some form of stat tracking and leaderboards should be standard.

Better matchmaking. Honestly, pubs are only going to work with skilled and organized players on each team, something that's rarely going to happen if we're all jumping in servers at random. Joining a clan or organizing pugs is nice, but not hardly accessible for everyone. Playing in pubs so far, as a marine, has been fun but not challenging. The aliens are only viable when they're ambushing, flanking, and working in large groups. Outside of that, they're very easy to kill and makes playing marine less exciting than it could be.

To add to matchmaking it'd also be nice if we could quick join with a preferred class selected. This way we're placed in a server with a slot available for the class we want to play on.

Secondly, there needs to be a team queue. This way it's first come first serve and you won't be beaten out of your spot on marine or alien despite having waited the longest.

Gameplay wise, the grenade launcher is pretty spammy and doesn't take much skill, that should tweaked in some way.

My last note is that there should be a far greater resource risk/reward to using exo's and whatever the big alien thing is. I've seen way too many of these popping out in a single match.

Overall, being new to the game I like it, there's definitely a lot to enjoy. But, from a competitive FPS standpoint, there's a lot of potential for it but right now I don't see a proper skill balance on each side.

Comments

• BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    edited October 2012
    Hi there.

Stat tracking for... public servers? Competitive play doesn't take place there, mate.
    There will most likely be leagues along with tournaments for the clans, that's where ranking comes into place.
    It's a team game, you rank the teams.

"The aliens are only viable when they're ambushing, flanking, and working in large groups. Outside of that, they're very easy to kill and makes playing marine less exciting than it could be."
    Well, this is how aliens work. The alien team is for people who like ambushing, flanking and coordinating attacks.
    If you think they're too easy to kill you're probably facing bad players. The majority of alien players playing at the moment have no idea what they're doing.
    Give it a month or so and it will get better.

"To add to matchmaking it'd also be nice if we could quick join with a preferred class selected. This way we're placed in a server with a slot available for the class we want to play on."
    Class as in? If you're referring to anything else than race then no. You can't join in on a server with more than 20 personal res. That would just mess everything up.

"Secondly, there needs to be a team queue. This way it's first come first serve and you won't be beaten out of your spot on marine or alien despite having waited the longest."
    Meh, just play imo.

"Gameplay wise, the grenade launcher is pretty spammy and doesn't take much skill, that should tweaked in some way."
    The grenade launcher is an anti building weapon. I don't know how you'd make it require skill to hit stationary targets :).
    The spam is not that bad with a 4 ammo clip size imo.

"My last note is that there should be a far greater resource risk/reward to using exo's and whatever the big alien thing is. I've seen way too many of these popping out in a single match."
    Well, regular exo costs 50 personal res, dual gatling exo and Onos costs 75. Losing it IS a big blow.
    The reason you've seen lots of them come and go is probably because you're playing on a server with lots of players and that those players are just banking
    their resources instead of using them frequently. These are usually the same players who waste them as well, hehe.

I say just keep playing the game, man.
    Give it a while for people to learn how to play alien. Most people are not used to the play style.
    Have fun.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003802:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:47 PM:name=Brainmaggot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brainmaggot @ Oct 31 2012, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"The aliens are only viable when they're ambushing, flanking, and working in large groups. Outside of that, they're very easy to kill and makes playing marine less exciting than it could be."
    Well, this is how aliens work. The alien team is for people who like ambushing, flanking and coordinating attacks.
    If you think they're too easy to kill you're probably facing bad players. The majority of alien players playing at the moment have no idea what they're doing.
    <b>Give it a month or so and it will get better.
    </b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true of both sides. I got 60 kills, 7 deaths earlier. Mix of lifeforms.

New marines should be give one order in tutorial -

<!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Look up.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Got 70%+ of my kills because none of these new marines are looking up. :D
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <a href="http://ns2stats.org/all/index" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org/all/index</a>
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003780:date=Oct 31 2012, 06:34 PM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Oct 31 2012, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No stat tracking? If this is a competitive fps, I think some form of stat tracking and leaderboards should be standard.

Stats aren't going to happen. You can use ns2stats.com if you want. Stats and leaderboards promote the idea of being a player playing for himself not his team.

Better matchmaking. Honestly, pubs are only going to work with skilled and organized players on each team, something that's rarely going to happen if we're all jumping in servers at random. Joining a clan or organizing pugs is nice, but not hardly accessible for everyone. Playing in pubs so far, as a marine, has been fun but not challenging. The aliens are only viable when they're ambushing, flanking, and working in large groups. Outside of that, they're very easy to kill and makes playing marine less exciting than it could be.

Matchmaking ? Again, probably not going to happen outside of teams you make yourself and other teams you find to scrim with. If this game worked solely off matchmaking queues would be a bother because rounds last 60 minutes and it does not have the same player base as say LoL also you don't want a game that you can't leave with a penalty like Dota or LoL. Its a hop in hop out kind of game.

To add to matchmaking it'd also be nice if we could quick join with a preferred class selected. This way we're placed in a server with a slot available for the class we want to play on.
    Class you want to play on ? I'm assuming you mean Aliens or Marines. Well, join a sever, if you can't join the team, join another server or wait 5 minutes till you can.

Secondly, there needs to be a team queue. This way it's first come first serve and you won't be beaten out of your spot on marine or alien despite having waited the longest.
    I doubt there will be a team queue, thats what leagues and scrims are for a la Counter Strike.

Gameplay wise, the grenade launcher is pretty spammy and doesn't take much skill, that should tweaked in some way.
    Balance is not pitch perfect on release, its been through a lot of builds.

My last note is that there should be a far greater resource risk/reward to using exo's and whatever the big alien thing is. I've seen way too many of these popping out in a single match.
    Like the guy before me said it is a risk and its mostly because people just bank resources.

Overall, being new to the game I like it, there's definitely a lot to enjoy. But, from a competitive FPS standpoint, there's a lot of potential for it but right now I don't see a proper skill balance on each side.
    There actually is quite a nice competitive scene considering its only just got out of beta. With 10 pretty well known teams soooooo :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • CaptnRussiaCaptnRussia Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164462Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003811:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:54 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Oct 31 2012, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is true of both sides. I got 60 kills, 7 deaths earlier. Mix of lifeforms.

New marines should be give one order in tutorial -

<!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Look up.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Got 70%+ of my kills because none of these new marines are looking up. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol this is definitely hard to get used to because marines always reminds me of Cod/BF where you don't really need to look up.
    Had almost the whole team of marines pass me by earlier while I wasn't well hidden. So fellow rines please look up! Your friendly neighborhood skulk.
  • JayTacJayTac Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161312Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2003802:date=Oct 31 2012, 06:47 PM:name=Brainmaggot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brainmaggot @ Oct 31 2012, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi there.

Stat tracking for... public servers? Competitive play doesn't take place there, mate.
    There will most likely be leagues along with tournaments for the clans, that's where ranking comes into place.
    It's a team game, you rank the teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But it should. If you take CS GO for instance, or any CS for that matter you can certainly jump into a public (competitive) server and have an intense and competitive match. Of course the best matches and true competition is had in leagues and tournaments, but that doesn't mean that pubs can't be competitive, for a pub. Not everyone can do the clan and tournament thing due to the time requirements they usually involve, so it's always nice to be able to get a small taste of that in pubs, or at least have something that's more challenging on a consistent basis.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, this is how aliens work. The alien team is for people who like ambushing, flanking and coordinating attacks.
    Give it a month or so and it will get better.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Typically that doesn't go hand-in-hand with pubs, especially when it's done at random. Some sort of ELO system or rankings could help in sticking experienced players who want to work as a team together, or at least creating a decent mix.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Class as in? If you're referring to anything else than race then no. You can't join in on a server with more than 20 personal res. That would just mess everything up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Race

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, just play imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like melee :x

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The grenade launcher is an anti building weapon. I don't know how you'd make it require skill to hit stationary targets :).
    The spam is not that bad with a 4 ammo clip size imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

x an entire squad using them.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, Onos and regular Exo costs 50 personal res, dual gatling exo costs 75. Losing it IS a big blow.
    The reason you've seen lots of them come and go is probably because you're playing on a server with lots of players and that those players are just banking
    their resources instead of using them frequently. These are usually the same players who waste them as well, hehe.

I say just keep playing the game, man.
    Give it a while for people to learn how to play alien. Most people are not used to the play style.
    Have fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Each side should get one shot at it, imo. But, I think the bigger issue are the stalements that can occur due to resources continuing to stack up in even games. I'm not going anywhere though, it's a fun game. One of my favorites atm, but I was expecting something a little more hardcore I guess. But, like you said with time, as players adjust I'm sure things will heat up in pubs, and there should still be more done on the dev side to further entice the public competition that can occur.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    there will be stat tracking, just not yet. there's already an independent stat tracking website (ns2stats.org) but it's up to the server ops to install the mod.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2003840:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:12 PM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Oct 31 2012, 08:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But it should. If you take CS GO for instance, or any CS for that matter you can certainly jump into a public (competitive) server and have an intense and competitive match. Of course the best matches and true competition is had in leagues and tournaments, but that doesn't mean that pubs can't be competitive, for a pub. Not everyone can do the clan and tournament thing due to the time requirements they usually involve, so it's always nice to be able to get a small taste of that in pubs, or at least have something that's more challenging on a consistent basis.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS is not CS. It hasn't been from the earliest days. Drawing parallels between the two is unhealthy at best. And really, outside of competitive arenas, the only thing stats will do is act as e-peen... causing problems when more-experienced people who care about that join up on newbie servers just to inflate their own ego. As happens with some other franchises. There are NS2 stat tracking sites available for the time being though, if a stroke is needed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Typically that doesn't go hand-in-hand with pubs, especially when it's done at random. Some sort of ELO system or rankings could help in sticking experienced players who want to work as a team together, or at least creating a decent mix.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Enter the 'Clan'. Its purpose is to give you a group of regulars to play with. Alternately, the 'regular server'. Many NS1 servers earned a reputation for attracting team players and consistently providing good gaming experiences. Also, Elo is crap for any team-based game, just due to its inherent calculation methods. Popular reputation tends to serve much more effectively and doesn't require a statistical tracking algorithm that can be milked. Likewise, it takes the ****bag effect into account; if you're more of a **** than an asset to the team, you get kicked out and no one will touch you. One more reason some unnamed franchises are filled with that sort of player at the 'top tier', whereas most of the NS1 competitive folk were much more welcoming, with less trash-talk.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like melee :x<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Many just making the transition from a symmetrical shooter don't. It's another skill to develop, and pushes you out of your comfort zone. It'll feel better when you get practiced at it, and suck less. :)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->x an entire squad using them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While that IS a bit OP given the lack of FF, splash damage ability and good coordination, it's also a pricey gambit if it fails, and requires coordination to make work effectively. If everyone can afford the nicest toys, your team has not been doing its job effectively. If they're turtling, resource-starve them and keep the pressure on. People sitting back and playing passively is one of the big reasons we see people simply giving up as soon as an Exo is spotted, as normally 3-4 people have saved up... which is difficult to combat, especially with rank newbies.
    Pure player inexperience again. Once the learning curve has been climbed by a larger part of the playing populace, it will become less of an issue.
  • awwwsnapawwwsnap Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160066Members
    The games aren't highly competitive right now due to the massive influx of new players. During the beta there was around 5 USA servers full during peak hours. Now it's hard to even get in a server, and you know most of those players are brand spanking new.

Give the game some time, it's got a lot of potential. Especially with the modding toolkit. Hopefully the creative community will turn this into the new Halflife, in terms of modding.
  • BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    Oh! I think I know what you're trying to say now, JayTac.

The general attitude amongst players in the beta has been great for competative matches in NS2.
    Most people actually try to communicate, work as a team and win the matches. More so than a <i>lot</i> of other games I've played, especially in the FPS genre.

I really hope that this will be the case now that the game is released as well. It was the case in both the beta and NS1 so it might very well carry on!

Weird Rambo players get murdered swiftly and ruthlessly in this game so they either adapt and try to play more with the team or whine and quit.
    Either way leads to more competative and balanced matches.

Having lopsided teams is a common issue on pub servers in all games, especially FPS games.
    It's as much of an issue of public play as anything else. If a bunch of players want's to noob stomp, that's what's going to happen.
    The good thing is that there is an abundance of servers, you can just pick another one!
  • JayTacJayTac Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161312Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2003866:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:34 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Oct 31 2012, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS is not CS. It hasn't been from the earliest days. Drawing parallels between the two is unhealthy at best. And really, outside of competitive arenas, the only thing stats will do is act as e-peen... causing problems when more-experienced people who care about that join up on newbie servers just to inflate their own ego. As happens with some other franchises. There are NS2 stat tracking sites available for the time being though, if a stroke is needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gameplay wise of course not, though they have showcased editorial blurbs that compare their game to CS, but that wasn't my point. If there's going to be a push for this to be a competitive fps, then the comparison in how the games foster competition, both clan and in general is definitely valid.

Also, I'm sure it is a stroke to some. To others, it adds another challenge, and it's something fun to view and participate in, so let's not make generalizations.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enter the 'Clan'. Its purpose is to give you a group of regulars to play with. Alternately, the 'regular server'. Many NS1 servers earned a reputation for attracting team players and consistently providing good gaming experiences. Also, Elo is crap for any team-based game, just due to its inherent calculation methods. Popular reputation tends to serve much more effectively and doesn't require a statistical tracking algorithm that can be milked. Likewise, it takes the ****bag effect into account; if you're more of a **** than an asset to the team, you get kicked out and no one will touch you. One more reason some unnamed franchises are filled with that sort of player at the 'top tier', whereas most of the NS1 competitive folk were much more welcoming, with less trash-talk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With possibly a much larger playerbase, that may change. But we'll see. Again, clan play isn't viable for everyone.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Many just making the transition from a symmetrical shooter don't. It's another skill to develop, and pushes you out of your comfort zone. It'll feel better when you get practiced at it, and suck less. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol with the insults. It's just a matter of preference, I actually haven't played the alien side at all yet.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited November 2012
    You can have plenty of competitive games in NS2 pubs if players know how to play. You can't fault them for not knowing the game yet, if they didn't have beta they literally just got the game the other day.

I've already played in pub games that are comparable to clan play thanks to receptive and adaptive players on both sides. Be patient. And I'm not really seeing the downside to the alien traits you listed. That makes the game asymmetric, and is one of the reasons playing each side is so satisfying. Playing Aliens online in AvP games was always a similar experience.

Also Exo's are a huge risk already. They cost a ton of Res, and without upgrades can go down like nothing. Stealthy tactics play even more to this. They also disable building abilities, limit mobility, and are prevented from any kind of quick traversal around the map (which plays even more to the speed advantage of the aliens)

Again, give it some time (or look for more serious servers). NS1 thrived competitively for quite a while, and while the gameplay isn't exactly the same, many of the ideas driving each side are and the general style of play is.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2005317:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:03 PM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Nov 1 2012, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol with the insults. It's just a matter of preference, I actually haven't played the alien side at all yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's Talesin, he figures now that with Nem0 gone that he's gotta be the resident 'harsh authority figure'. But, a lot of what he says is right, even if he does a less than stellar job of explaining it.

<!--quoteo(post=2003780:date=Oct 31 2012, 06:34 PM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Oct 31 2012, 06:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know there's already a lot of impressions being posted, but the main purpose in posting my own is to ask a few questions for those who have been following the game closely. Basically, I'm hoping some of the "setbacks" are features or tweaks that plan to be implemented in the future.

No stat tracking? If this is a competitive fps, I think some form of stat tracking and leaderboards should be standard.

Overall, being new to the game I like it, there's definitely a lot to enjoy. But, from a competitive FPS standpoint, there's a lot of potential for it but right now I don't see a proper skill balance on each side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stat Tracking: <i>A</i> form of stat tracking is on the way, but this likely won't have what you'd think of as full-featured from Counter-Strike. The reason why, is that unlike CS, NS has a lot of things you simply can't track. How can you track a good comm? A good support marine? A good Gorge? Sure, you can have totals of 'Did this', but that's not useful for very much. In all honesty, anything beyond a W/L ratio kinda loses the point with NS- it's why it was so controversial in the first one to even <i>have</i> a scoreboard for anything other than ping.

Matchmaking: Yes and no. Honestly, NS isn't like most games. Matchmaking wouldn't work very well here. Teammaking, or PUG-style games? Sure. But real matchmaking is impossible in a game where someone might be a horrible shot but a Godlike comm, or an amazing Fade but a mediocre/poor skulk. In NS1, teams were always comprised of their people who specialized. On my own, I was the resident 'res ######' for our Kharaa side, because I was our best skulk by far(could be as lethal as any Fade), and never bothered evolving into anything but a quick Gorge to drop hives or res nodes or other ways of dumping my res.

Here, you're gonna see people who are dedicated Fades, or dedicated Lerks, etc, but because of the setup of the game you don't really get opportunity for a more generic matchmaking. And if you let people choose sides/roles, that still doesn't really touch on what happens when they <i>can't</i> be those things.

Personally, I'm working on a site for Pickup Games, but it's still a bit out. Even then, we'll just have basic stat tracking of <b>our</b> games, but no matchmaking aside from "Now get shoved in this game!"

Historically, in server-based shooters, the best way to have good matchmaking, is simply to switch to another, more difficult server, when you feel ready. Right now we don't know what those are, but in time we sure will.

For preferred class- do you mean preferred team? And if not, well, the game isn't really set up for you to jump in and be a team's Fade. 'Cause even in our games, sometimes, our Fade would die quick, and your team <b>needs</b> Fades. So what happened? <i>I</i> got to be our Fade, simply for harder hit 'n runs.

The prevelance of Exo/Onos: Eh, yes and no. Pro teams don't have this problem, because they get teams worked out. For example, you see plenty of Exo/Onos, but how often do you see a Lerk, or someone run around with a Grenade Launcher? It's a lot rarer right now because most people don't know the point to these cheaper items. They just hear about the big-ticket items and go straight to it. Once teamplay gets better(and player skill), this will change wholeheartedly.

And as to the GL: It's entirely worthless against Skulks with a sense of timing. Wait for the reload, leap through, rip them apart. In close quarters you're more like to kill yourself. GL is for building/hive clearing, not murder. Anyone who dies to it, who isn't a Gorge, was either wrongplace/wrongtime or just playing poorly.

-

NS has a long and storied competitive history. Things are better balanced than you think, it just takes getting used to. There's a reason that we already have competitive teams running about, and damn good tournaments.
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited November 2012
    There's also a reason this game has been in beta for so long, and has received numerous balance changes over the years.

Much of the competitive elements come from the harmony of the footmen with the commander. Sure there is quite a bit of player skill involved, but without the commander there really isn't any competitive aspect.

Think of it coming from an RTS perspective. Everything has to be balanced a certain way, if you start expanding aliens to function more like a shooter it would destroy the balance.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=2005317:date=Nov 1 2012, 05:03 PM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Nov 1 2012, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol with the insults. It's just a matter of preference, I actually haven't played the alien side at all yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was more meant to be joking, with just a touch of truth. Really though, <i>anyone</i> just getting into the melee side is going to suck at it until they've had time to practice.

<!--quoteo(post=2005346:date=Nov 1 2012, 05:22 PM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Nov 1 2012, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's Talesin, he figures now that with Nem0 gone that he's gotta be the resident 'harsh authority figure'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pfft. Get it right at least. Comprox is working to be the new Nem. I'm still going for more of a MonsE approach.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Alot of your concerns are caused by the general nubness of the community right now.

Some of them were shared by beta testers aka nade spamming being too strong.

The thing is, an asymmetrical game is never going to be perfectly balanced, they will make adjustments probably for at least a year trying to get it working right so some things just have to come with time.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2005355:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:28 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Nov 1 2012, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was more meant to be joking, with just a touch of truth. Really though, <i>anyone</i> just getting into the melee side is going to suck at it until they've had time to practice.

Pfft. Get it right at least. Comprox is working to be the new Nem. I'm still going for more of a MonsE approach.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comprox has been nothing but nice, AND he has a Chibi fade. Your chibi girl is just creepy.

Which I suppose fits, with MonsE.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    Also, Talesin, you're not nearly as witty as MonsE ;)
  • billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    Anyone half decent at being a skulk will DESTROY a couple of GL toting marines, get in close and bite their ankles off, the GL ain't a close quarters weapon.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2005783:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:36 PM:name=billet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (billet @ Nov 1 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone half decent at being a skulk will DESTROY a couple of GL toting marines, get in close and bite their ankles off, the GL ain't a close quarters weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since there is only self damage, there's a lot of benefit to just spamming nades at your feet and the walls next to you. 3 kills for the price of 1 weapon that gets picked up 3 seconds later.
  • crowell00crowell00 Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9108Members
    My impression as a new NS2 player is, it was F'in awesome. Got my first skulk kill after 2 deaths. Was being swarmed by marine EXo suits and still managed to eat a lot of them and won in the first game I played as aliens ( while being outnumbered 10-8). Joined the game with aliens being down and losing. Led my team in deaths but also ranked right up top in kills. Skulks die a lot /shrug. haven't played NS in 7 years or so and, pleased as punch at what I enjoyed tonight (after 2 frustrating nights of Cache crashes).
    Glad I gave these guys $25
    ...just Quick Impressions From a New Player
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2003780:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:34 AM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Nov 1 2012, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know there's already a lot of impressions being posted, but the main purpose in posting my own is to ask a few questions for those who have been following the game closely. Basically, I'm hoping some of the "setbacks" are features or tweaks that plan to be implemented in the future.

<b>Secondly, there needs to be a team queue. This way it's first come first serve and you won't be beaten out of your spot on marine or alien despite having waited the longest.</b>

Overall, being new to the game I like it, there's definitely a lot to enjoy. But, from a competitive FPS standpoint, there's a lot of potential for it but right now I don't see a proper skill balance on each side.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Team queue would be an awesome idea, team up with your friends on Steam and fight vs another team!
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003780:date=Oct 31 2012, 07:34 PM:name=JayTac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JayTac @ Oct 31 2012, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know there's already a lot of impressions being posted, but the main purpose in posting my own is to ask a few questions for those who have been following the game closely. Basically, I'm hoping some of the "setbacks" are features or tweaks that plan to be implemented in the future.

To add to matchmaking it'd also be nice if we could quick join with a preferred class selected. This way we're placed in a server with a slot available for the class we want to play on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stat tracking?

Matchmaking?

This is not call of duty or halo, this is a COMPUTER GAME. We don't do those things here. Thankyou