New Players / First impressions

2»

Comments

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There is another thing not mentioned that can help you close gaps: Walljumping.

While not the greatest most complete mechanic (as in still needs work) it can help. If you jump on walls and then jump off you will get a speed boost. It is based on vertical drop so the higher you are on the wall the more speed you'll gain before hitting the ground. Once on the ground you can do a bunnyhop or strafe jump like motion to try and maintain that speed boost. If all else fails you can skirt marine engagements and harass structures. If you are terrible at getting kills you can still be super useful by attacking extractors. The skulk in my opinion is the hardest lifeform to play effectively at all stages of the game. Practice makes perfect however.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    well you can still be a skulk in the end game if you'd like or if you lack resources to evolve to another life form.
    Most marines are occupied with shooting the bigger aliens and you can sneak around or ambush them while they're pushing forward or just join your alien zerg :)
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Its pretty interesting that the alien win rate since release has actually been higher then the marine one. I don't think anyone was expecting that. Maybe the vets are all playing alien??? I can't really explain it.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2003716:date=Nov 1 2012, 12:39 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Nov 1 2012, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's totally fine to have your own opinion on the game, I know not everyone is going to like it.

But I wanted to give you my 2c, some of your comments seem to express frustration of the learning curve of the game. The quality and depth of the game and strategy right now is of course very shallow because a vast majority of the players are brand new to the game and have only been playing it for a day or two. But I would really highly recommend giving the game few weeks so that as people begin to understand the basics, the team play and the skill level of the community begins to rise, and the quality of the games will greatly improve.

Another suggestion, is that if you enjoy more organized play, hit up either a clan of your liking or the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119466" target="_blank">gathers</a>. Playing in these environments will often yield a completely different experience from regular pubs because they generally have a very high degree of teamwork and organization.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rantology is spot on, I was about to make the same reply but she beat me to it.

The beta before release was the point at which basically everyone who had pre-ordered the game had a thorough understanding of it. More or less every game was very organised because everyone had been playing it for a while. This is not a 'jump in and play' style of game, but like anything it is easy once you know how.

I think that is the big issue with this game, that a lot of people want to just play the FPS game. But to understand it, I highly advise learning about the RTS aspect. It gets very deep and complex, or at least it is hoping to be once everything is finely balanced.

<!--quoteo(post=2004821:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:02 PM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Nov 1 2012, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004821"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its pretty interesting that the alien win rate since release has actually been higher then the marine one. I don't think anyone was expecting that. Maybe the vets are all playing alien??? I can't really explain it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think the stats on the front page are accurate at all, as no one really knows what they are doing. I think it will change dramatically in a week or three.

For instance, from what I can tell refining is going to be extremely marine biased as it is quite an open map like mineshaft. Yet for some reason (as commander) i've been able to dominate the map because I know what I am doing, and the rookie marine players just do not.
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    First off I only have 4ish hrs into the game (75% as alien and most of that as a gorge) and this just a bunch of random thoughts.

1) I'm impressed with team play. Sure it's obviously not match quality but for a pub I regularly saw skulk packs attacking marines or other targets. I even popped into an onos egg after the commander begged someone to get in (never did an onos before even in ns1). I instantly had 2 people go gorge and follow me around and support me which was awesome. Sadly I got 1 killed as I was testing the bite of the marines rifles and didn’t commit to a charge I should have but the other one stayed alive. Imo it was a good start. I expected a bunch of headless chickens to be running around as aliens (which it kinda is myself included but not as bad as I thought).

2) Onos felt crazy over powered. 2 hits and a marine was done. Not sure what armor level they had but only having like 1 hr total experience and being an absolute wrecking machine was hilarious (like 20-2 record). Managed to take out a forward base and 1 main base...good times.

3) Gorge seems to be key. I was mainly a gorge in NS1 so I fell back on him again to as I'm learning the game. It does a great job now of healing wounded players and I was SHOCKED as how well bile bomb held back exos and other marines. I even think I killed an exo using it!? I thought it only damaged armor? It also seemed easier to spit kill marines compared to NS1. Could be due to just every one including myself is so new. I had more than a few of those kills. (Wasn’t aware it blinded people till I played marines)

4) I would LOVE for the gorge to be able to create cysts and build RTS using personal res. More than a few times I wanted to do that.

5) Having helpful knowledgeable commanders is huge. I found people listened well and it improved team play a lot. Hell the 30 min I did play marine the commander was extremely patient as he had a team all rookies. He told us where to go and when we were going the wrong direction to get to a way point. We ended up Shotgun/jet pack rushing 3 hives (from the main base) and winning the game in like 5 minutes lol.

6) To all you vets.. please be patient and informative. It helps us new players a <b>TON</b>.

K ill stop there..I could go on a while..
  • GodenGoden Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165574Members
    edited November 2012
    Here are my newbie opinions on the game as someone who played NS1 briefly years ago. You may not agree with them, maybe you will.

I find the marines generally fun to play. It's neat walking around dark corridors with my flashlight looking for aliens while my teammates are building stuff. On the flip side, I find the aliens woefully unenjoyable to play. The Skulk's attack is very weak and the Skulk becomes totally useless after the marines get some upgrades. The Skulk becomes completely obsolete at even the mid-game. The Gorge has lost almost all of its building potential (the Hydras also are completely useless) and as far as I'm concerned the Gorge has no reason to exist. Teammates would much rather run to a hive or Crag than let me heal them because it's faster. Pretty much all the aliens do is try to survive being butchered by the marines until they can afford an Onos, then they charge the marines and try not to be insta-killed. Almost every round I have played has been massively stacked to the Marines, with alien players frequently leaving - and I can see why. The aliens are NOT fun to play AT ALL. Playing an alien means you just exist for the purpose of being a bullet pin-cushion for the marines.

If they don't give me more to do as an alien player, such as more gorge buildings or a skulk that actually works, then I probably won't be playing this anymore.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    One thing about this game. You must work as a team. Alone you can be killed pretty easy. So always travel in packs of 2-3 but try not to bunch up and have the whole team at one end of the map, spread around the map in packs. Plan ahead use cover lore marines in and ambush them
    always use the walls as one said think of the floor as laca and you will die if you stay on it to long.
    Remember parasite can be strong also lets you keep track of marines.
    If you find your self alone and theres a froup of marines parasite.
    Just a few tips on aliens the rest is just best practice and trail and error you will find what works for you and what dont.