Team work. Better then expected?

current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
To you beta testers is it teamwork better then you expected? I've only been able to play 4 hrs of NS2 (3.5 as alien and mostly as a gorge) far and from what I've seen I am surprised at the team play, granted many people suck including myself but still there was teamwork! The few games I got to play for the most part people communicated well and were able to pull off a few really good coordinated attacks or defenses. (gorge>exo btw lol).

If this continues I suspect some really epic NS2 games to unfold. Reading these forums for the past month I was cringing at how bad the teamwork was going to be. As a whole I don't recall people in NS1 willing to work together this much...maybe i got lucky?

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Overall it's much better than in any other FPS I've played. Granted it was already pretty good in beta, I never expected it to work so well even in the average pub game. Pubs will be pubs of course, but in all I think the community deserves a big thumbs up.
  • SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2004763:date=Nov 1 2012, 01:23 PM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Nov 1 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To you beta testers is it teamwork better then you expected? I've only been able to play 4 hrs of NS2 (3.5 as alien and mostly as a gorge) far and from what I've seen I am surprised at the team play, granted many people suck including myself but still there was teamwork! The few games I got to play for the most part people communicated well and were able to pull off a few really good coordinated attacks or defenses. (gorge>exo btw lol).

If this continues I suspect some really epic NS2 games to unfold. Reading these forums for the past month I was cringing at how bad the teamwork was going to be. As a whole I don't recall people in NS1 willing to work together this much...maybe i got lucky?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Teamwork has always been better among the NS community. This goes back as far as the launch of NS1.

UWE has done a fantastic job making a game that rewards those who stick together.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, I love how people are really picking up on the need to work together. Aliens need to work on the teamplay a bit, I experience way too many lone skulks rolling around as a marine. Skulk packs and gorge bile bomb support are pretty key to get those much sought after alien wins (and will especially help against the exo dominance which seems to be what is the most frustrating for the new players atm).

Otherwise, well played newbies. Well played.

edit: the only time I should see hero skulks is when they are killing buildings, extractors etc.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    It's OK so far I guess. I had good and bad games. But definetely better than I expected, yeah. Seems to go the right way.
  • TailorTailor Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13927Members, Constellation
    Very good.

In the games that I comm, the added waypoint markers help a ton in grouping aliens and marines for attacks since they are unsure of the map names still.

Mostly the new players just soak up information like sponges, ask questions, and generally switch around tactics quickly when advised.

I think having such a long beta has helped give us a strong base of players that are able to bring the newbies up to speed.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Its nowhere neer where we where before release in terms of teamplay.
    Alot and realy meen alot of new players are learning the game, and i expect when everyone is more familiar whit NS2, your gaming experience and especialy the teamplay performed by the average players will greatly increase and make <u>your</u> games alot better. :)
  • ItAxItAx Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155046Members
    edited November 2012
    Teamplay was much better in beta ofcourse, but that's because we played mainly among experienced players.
    In some servers it's extremely annoying being a commander because many new players doesn't know what to do even when you give them orders.
    However I can see that it is getting better and better each hour and it's mainly because of the beta players who are teaching the noobs.
    I hope we will reach the pre release level of gameplay atleast in a week :)
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The focus on real teamwork was what got me hooked on NS1. I get bored really quickly with death-matchy games, even if they are team based.