My experience so far ....

TecTec Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165433Members
edited November 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
First hi everybody.

I didn't came here to bash NS2 and i must say when i manage
to play it's really amazing and fun but ....

2 hours of experience :

- Long loading times.
- More than 10 crashes so far.
- FPS drops, doesn't matter if it's highest or lowest settings,
specially when you're engaging the enemy it drops from 60 to 30 (i've played only as a marine so far).
- When i'm trying to get to options when i'm in a server playing, mostly it's crashes.
- Precaching crashes.

My specs:
Q9400
560GTX
4 GIG RAM
Win 7 32bit
I'm playing on 1024x1280 res.

For a game that was design for PC only i would have expect 60 stable fps with
far less technical issues.

Please patch it so i could enjoy this great game.

Thanks.

Comments

• Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Getting around the same performance on a Q6600 @ 1080 with AA and AO off, might be something on your end.
    Ironically, I think I've had around 10 crashes <b>since the alpha in late 2009.</b>
    No precaching stuff either, I just had dark HUD elements at the start of the game when I had texture streaming on.
    Really odd that it only seems to only affect some machines.
  • [AI]-infect[AI]-infect Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165121Members
    It's not your system, that's for sure. Notice the same, but based on all the tweets they are working on a lot of things.

Remember, COD:Black Ops had a ton of issues when first released to PC, and I think it's safe to say they have a pretty big budget and staff to get stuff patches in place.

I am sure it will be smoothed out in the weeks to come.
  • nbinryshadenbinryshade Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165240Members
    I'm not sure if this will help you, but it definitely helped me. Since 227 (basically release), I have had problems with my FPS as well. I looked and messed with a few options, turned them on and off to see what they'd do, and not even lowering texture quality would help my FPS. Now here's the weird thing: typing r_stats in console allowed me to see that I was in fact getting 60 FPS pretty much on the regular, except on my screen it looked quite 'glitchy' like the FPS had significant drops every second or so. After messing around with stuff I found that <i>turning OFF multi-core rendering REALLY helps a lot</i>. As for crashing when you go to options when you are in a server, give the game just a few seconds before you click 'options', around 3-5 seconds. This just allows it to completely load the menu and hopefully won't hang up on you. Basically, try turning off multi core rendering for the framerate-ish issues, because it fixed my problem completely, and try to let your options screen load up fully before clicking options. I hope this helps!
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159575Members
    I have had 0 crashes, 0 lag, 0 issues.

But then again I have poured more money than I'd like to admit into my monster.
  • 4bdul4bdul Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164668Members
    I have no probs, running Q6400, 8gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 - which is pretty outdated I'd say. Playing windowed though :)
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a lot of tweaks in the graphical settings, try and turn everything off, and see if it works. Then turn things back on, to see what your system can handle. You can usually see the FPS counter what affects your system much, most people have no problems, and many with problems have found some setting in that menu that helped,
  • [AI]-infect[AI]-infect Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165121Members
    I guess everyone these days plays with v sync on. I've never played with it on since, I don't know, one of the early CS releases back in early 2000s. I just can't aim with v sync on.

I didn't turn on the fps monitor last night because I wanted to play, not screw with settings. But my guess is standing in hall I had over 100 fps, in fights 50-80. I could see some very slight chop in some heavy fights.

In case you care what I am running....AMD 955 OC'd to 4.1ghz, 8gb ddr3, 2 x GTX470s. I realize the CPU is older an isn't intel, but I spent the extra money at the time on the cards.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004383:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:41 PM:name=[AI]-infect)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([AI]-infect @ Nov 1 2012, 02:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I guess everyone these days plays with v sync on. I've never played with it on since, I don't know, one of the early CS releases back in early 2000s. I just can't aim with v sync on.

I didn't turn on the fps monitor last night because I wanted to play, not screw with settings. But my guess is standing in hall I had over 100 fps, in fights 50-80. I could see some very slight chop in some heavy fights.

In case you care what I am running....AMD 955 OC'd to 4.1ghz, 8gb ddr3, 2 x GTX470s. I realize the CPU is older an isn't intel, but I spent the extra money at the time on the cards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should always play with vsync off. Vsync on can have a severe negative impact on your FPS. Your FPS seems normal for your CPU though. Unfortunately, this game is extremely CPU-demanding, to the point where even people with 4.7+ ghz overclocks can't get 100 FPS stable.

Everyone should take the advice in this thread with a large grain of salt. Things like turning off multicore rendering can actually lower your FPS drastically -- it drops mine by about 15, for example.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004404:date=Nov 1 2012, 01:57 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 1 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should always play with vsync off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Everyone should take the advice in this thread with a large grain of salt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While we're perpetuating dumb hardware myths that have been around since the 90s, care to tell us about how we MUST HAVE mice with 4,000hz polling rates and 2ms refresh rates on our monitors, as well as a Killer NIC? Because the idea that vsync is going to affect your gameplay is a total joke. Blind trials have pretty much proven that even with 120hz / 120FPS, most gamers will never notice if you covertly turn on / off these options they claim will affect gameplay so much.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Phenom II X4 @ 3.2 GHz + HD6870 @ 1920x1200 = runs fine, no crashes.
    Performance could be better, sure - but if that means I just have to skip Ambient Occlusion, I'm fine.

This is a PC game. People with antique hardware complain when it does not run.
    Also, we don't have the slightest clue what you might have done with your system (e.g. latest Nvidia drivers).
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Seems like 32bit users are having more issues than everyone else. I'm sure UWE is on top of things though. Performance is also definitely something they will continue improving well past 1.0.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The crashes are a new issue and should be resolved shortly. Performance is a work in progress - it will keep improving, but the game is always going to be a bit more system intensive than an equivalent AAA title just by virtue of the size of the dev team.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004447:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:26 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 1 2012, 06:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While we're perpetuating dumb hardware myths that have been around since the 90s, care to tell us about how we MUST HAVE mice with 4,000hz polling rates and 2ms refresh rates on our monitors, as well as a Killer NIC? Because the idea that vsync is going to affect your gameplay is a total joke. Blind trials have pretty much proven that even with 120hz / 120FPS, most gamers will never notice if you covertly turn on / off these options they claim will affect gameplay so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You obviously don't know that much about vsync. While the idea of matching your fps with your monitors refresh rate may seem good, when you enter into graphically intensive part of the game ie: combat in NS2, vsync will auto take you down to the next fps interval. Meaning 60fps down to 30, and even lower possibly because of how vsync handles the double buffering.

NS2 is cpu intensive because of Lua, hence you don't want to go into combat while hardcapping your fps with vsync. You need to go in with as much fps as possible.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2004447:date=Nov 1 2012, 03:26 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 1 2012, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While we're perpetuating dumb hardware myths that have been around since the 90s, care to tell us about how we MUST HAVE mice with 4,000hz polling rates and 2ms refresh rates on our monitors, as well as a Killer NIC? Because the idea that vsync is going to affect your gameplay is a total joke. Blind trials have pretty much proven that even with 120hz / 120FPS, most gamers will never notice if you covertly turn on / off these options they claim will affect gameplay so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would you notice it if I tuned your car to make it accelerate 0-100 km/h half a second slower?

Probably not.

Would it affect your performance in a car race?

Probably.

Please tell me more about "dumb hardware myths" though, I'm sure you know far more about it than me (protip: that was sarcasm; you don't).
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2004447:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:26 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 1 2012, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While we're perpetuating dumb hardware myths that have been around since the 90s, care to tell us about how we MUST HAVE mice with 4,000hz polling rates and 2ms refresh rates on our monitors, as well as a Killer NIC? Because the idea that vsync is going to affect your gameplay is a total joke. Blind trials have pretty much proven that even with 120hz / 120FPS, most gamers will never notice if you covertly turn on / off these options they claim will affect gameplay so much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

VSync can cause mouse lag in a lot of games and NS2 is no different, it especially becomes apparent when Multi-core rendering and VSync are enabled at the same time. This gives the illusion of a framerate lower than it actually is. Not to mention the interval framelocking Voodoo described above. For most users disabling vsync will actually improve their experience. I play on an OC'd I5 ivy with a 6950HD and with VSync on I get noticeable hitching and mouse lag. I personally would rather deal with any minor screen tearing than the mouse lag I experience with VSync enabled.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004483:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:46 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 1 2012, 10:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The crashes are a new issue and should be resolved shortly. Performance is a work in progress - it will keep improving, but the game is always going to be a bit more system intensive than an equivalent AAA title just by virtue of the size of the dev team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stop saying crap like this.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Triple buffering could help with the vsync issue, but i don't know if NS2 is set up for that or not.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159575Members
    <a href="http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593" target="_blank">http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593</a>

Learn before you debate.

Of course I think we only have Double Buffering V-sync in NS2?
  • venimvenim Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75148Members
    As a long time Quake player I can second everything regarding Vsync. Vsync, AF and AA all produce very large amounts of input lag and anyone saying otherwise is just wrong.

As for the performance and crashing issues. Patience. This game has come a long way even since August and it's only getting better with each update.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    NS2 has triple buffering.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004540:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:27 AM:name=VoodooHex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VoodooHex @ Nov 1 2012, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You obviously don't know that much about vsync. While the idea of matching your fps with your monitors refresh rate may seem good, when you enter into graphically intensive part of the game ie: combat in NS2, vsync will auto take you down to the next fps interval. Meaning 60fps down to 30, and even lower possibly because of how vsync handles the double buffering.

NS2 is cpu intensive because of Lua, hence you don't want to go into combat while hardcapping your fps with vsync. You need to go in with as much fps as possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some graphics cards (like nVidia's) have a best-of-both-worlds mode to address that exact scenario.

Basically, it only tries to vsync when your framerate is over 60, and if the framerate drops below 60, it stops trying to vsync. So when performance is good, you get a tear-free experience, but if performance drops in a busy scene, your framerate doesn't suffer (but you get tearing).

Personally, the reason I rarely use vsync is that it tends to add a massive amount of input lag. I haven't tried with NS2, but I've seen some games where enabling vsync adds multiple frames of latency. An extra 100+ms of input lag on a game can be really frustrating. That could just be poor engine design, but since it affects many games, it's a fact of life.
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    u do have triple buffering in ns2
    <!--quoteo(post=2004575:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:44 PM:name=Flatlander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flatlander @ Nov 1 2012, 04:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593" target="_blank">http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593</a>

Learn before you debate.

Of course I think we only have Double Buffering V-sync in NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The OP in that thread is actually wrong on several points; see the last post in the same thread.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004550:date=Nov 1 2012, 10:34 AM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Nov 1 2012, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stop saying crap like this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was there a particular part of my post that you felt was crap? Or just the whole thing in general?
  • TecTec Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165433Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004614:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:03 AM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Nov 1 2012, 08:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The OP in that thread is actually wrong on several points; see the last post in the same thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"The OP in that thread is actually wrong" What do you mean ?

I'm playing fps since the first UT.
    I know how to tweak/config my GPU + game configs done all that in
    last 13 years. A game (NS2) that give me the same FPS (drops) on lowest or high settings
    got a serious engine problem or it doen't not fit my OS which is Win 7 (32 bit).

I play Rage,Crysis 2 on stable 60 fps high settings. COD4 (promod)
    with high setting config lock on 125 FPS. Bad Company 2 55-60 fps on high settings.

I should not experience this kind of problems with a game
    that have average graphics and design for PC.
    edited November 2012
    The simple answer is that engine optimization has not been a major focus of the developers yet, so NS2 still has very high CPU requirements. Much higher than a game of its level of sophistication would normally have. Because you have a slow CPU, this affects you more than it would otherwise.

Look at it this way, the only processors capable of hosting a 24 player server don't actually exist... To make up for that, hosts have to take a sandy bridge or ivy bridge and overclock it to somewhere around 4.4 GHz...

EDIT: Just in case you misread that, "The OP in that thread" is referring to Arkalius from HardOCP, not you.
  • TecTec Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165433Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004972:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:45 AM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Nov 1 2012, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The simple answer is that engine optimization has not been a major focus of the developers yet, so NS2 still has very high CPU requirements. Much higher than a game of its level of sophistication would normally have. Because you have a slow CPU, this affects you more than it would otherwise.

Look at it this way, the only processors capable of hosting a 24 player server don't actually exist... To make up for that, hosts have to take a sandy bridge or ivy bridge and overclock it to somewhere around 4.4 GHz...

EDIT: Just in case you misread that, "The OP in that thread" is referring to Arkalius from HardOCP, not you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So selling a game with this is a fraud:
    (Steam)
    Recommended:
    Processor:Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz
    Memory:4 GB RAM
    Graphics:DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, AMD 5770, NVidia GTX 450 or better
    DirectX®:9.0
    Hard Drive:5 GB HD space
    Other Requirements:Broadband Internet connection

Q9400 is a slow CPU for this gaming generation ? You're kidding me right ?
    Graphics almost didn't change from 2007.
    Q9400 is a Core-2 era part, yeah, it's ancient. Performance increases at an exponential rate; you'd expect from 2007 to 2012 an approximate 8x increase in performance.

So, are their requirements realistic? Perhaps not. I might have put that as a minimum requirement, not a recommended. Perhaps they were expressing it as a targeted requirement of where they expected to get it, but haven't gotten there yet. In that case they should have updated it, perhaps they forgot.

It's not like they're in a vast conspiracy with Intel and AMD to require people to buy new processors. I'm sure they'd rather their game was accessible to more people. But UWE just has one guy doing engine work (from scratch!), IIRC, and that's a pretty big load for one person to tackle. Getting the functionality in there was a bigger priority than performance.