Major Bugs making the game unplayable

2»

Comments

• bagderbagder Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164786Members
    the checkerboards slowly start to appear on the games that take 5-10 mins to crash... seems like a sign of memory cache problems/leaks, until the freeze/sound loop or CTD

argh i cant wait for this to be fixed... have they released any news on fixing the precaching problem?
    I think all these problems are under the precaching problem
  • AlyaisAlyais Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165015Members
    They are working on the precaching issue according to their Twitter.
    Had a pretty long game as a commander. Then crash again.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Date: 10/31/12
    Time: 17:56:39
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 227
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (9.18.13.697)
    Sound Device: Speakers (Logitech G35 Headset) stereo
    Record Device: Microphone (Logitech G35 Headset)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 227
    Connecting to server 74.117.239.162:27015
    Client : 0.000000 : Loading VM Client
    Loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file ''
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'
    Predict : 0.000000 : Loading VM Predict
    Error: Couldn't load 'ui/marine_buy_bigicons.dds' (invalid format)
    Chat All - narwhaliuscary.j2: oh what
    Error: Couldn't load 'ui/marine_commander_tabs.dds' (invalid format)
    Chat Team 1 - High Lord Ryu: how do you crouch
    Chat Team 1 - Smoked: ctrl
    Chat Team 1 - Sir Noobert: left ctrl
    Chat Team 1 - High Lord Ryu: ty
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/infestation/infestation_decal.dds' (invalid format)
    Chat All - narwhaliuscary.j2: le punhc
    Chat All - narwhaliuscary.j2: punch
    Chat All - narwhaliuscary.j2: oh bull######
    Chat Team 1 - more.cowbell.: commander build res here
    Chat Team 1 - more.cowbell.: mezzanine
    Chat Team 1 - narwhaliuscary.j2: why cant I buy the shotgun?
    Chat Team 1 - Sir Noobert: not researhed
    Chat Team 1 - narwhaliuscary.j2: SHOTGUN ###### YEAh
    Error: Couldn't open file ''<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And again...

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Date: 10/31/12
    Time: 18:32:13
    Build 227
    Steam initialized
    Connecting to server 74.122.197.236:27015
    Connecting to server 74.122.197.235:27015
    Connecting to server 50.97.34.103:27015
    Loading 'maps/ns2_mineshaft.level'
    Error: Couldn't open file 'cinematics/environment/light_flicker_01.cinematic'
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_mineshaft.level'
    Error: Collision model 'models/marine/advanced_armory/advanced_armory.model' created with zero coords
    Warning: Min Falloff (156.05760192871) is greater than Max Falloff (151.1808013916) for ambient sound event named: sound/NS2.fev/ambient/cave/mineshaft_basetone
    Warning: Min Falloff (156.05760192871) is greater than Max Falloff (151.42999267578) for ambient sound event named: sound/NS2.fev/ambient/spooky_music_mineshaft
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/bilebomb_exoviewmask.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_view_spike_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 241760 bytes failed (Out of video memory)
    Error: IDirect3DDevice9::CreateVertexBuffer 214800 bytes failed (Out of video memory)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • bagderbagder Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164786Members
    well setting the max pre-rendered frames to 1 worked well, I thought it was fixed. lasted about 40 mins or so before crashing in a big battle... dammit!

*prays to the lords of patch releases
    I'm sad to see I still don't have a fix for this. :(
    Updated. Crashed.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Date: 11/01/12
    Time: 11:29:09
    Build 227
    Steam initialized
    Connecting to server 199.192.205.187:27015
    Loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'
    Finished loading 'maps/ns2_tram.level'
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/infestation/infestation_decal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: PhysX: User allocator returned NULL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Quick question: have you installed the latest physX from nvidia?
  • specliacspecliac Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165467Members
    I make it into the game just fine and can play explore and games with 2 or 3 other people on it. In a game with more than that though, the game just freezes after a minute or so. There's no error message or anything. Only way to close the game is open task manager and end the process(says not responding.)

I have AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Processor, 64-bit, 3.31 Ghz, and Crossfire AMD Radeon HD 6800 graphics cards. Game runs beautifully until it freezes.

I've tried lowering all the graphics settings(texture, anti-aliasing, etc) and disabling Crossfire. I've also tried everything listed in this thread. Still no luck. Hope it gets fixed soon. I saw TB's coverage a while back and picked it up as soon as I saw it on steam.
  • m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    I've been having some similar issues. I would advise taking a break for a day or two so that you don't get super stressed out while they work out some bug fixes... That's what I'm trying at least. I also learned that the latest nVidia driver has some known issues (at least for my gfx card), so I am rolling back a few versions. It may be worth looking into. I have only seen people crashing here who have nVidia cards.
    <!--quoteo(post=2004539:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:26 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Nov 1 2012, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quick question: have you installed the latest physX from nvidia?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have not and will try that now. Thanks Ironhorse!
    <!--quoteo(post=2004600:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:58 AM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Nov 1 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been having some similar issues. I would advise taking a break for a day or two so that you don't get super stressed out while they work out some bug fixes... That's what I'm trying at least. I also learned that the latest nVidia driver has some known issues (at least for my gfx card), so I am rolling back a few versions. It may be worth looking into. I have only seen people crashing here who have nVidia cards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am not upset or stressed out. I understand that I'm not the only person with problems and am appreciative of any help. I am eager to play but I own the game and know that if I can't play today I can play tomorrow. I'd like to think I have a good attitude. I appreciate your advice though!

My nvidia has never failed me so I'll be sad if that is the case. I don't want to roll back video drivers because that will cause conflicts with other games. Thank you so much!
  • DamDSxDamDSx Join Date: 2004-08-10 Member: 30506Members
    Bug identified and being fixed atm.

From twitter:
    Natural Selection 2 ‏@NS2
    Update on pre-cacheing bug: We have found it and are currently nailing it to the wall. Expect patch soon!
    <!--quoteo(post=2004619:date=Nov 1 2012, 12:04 PM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Nov 1 2012, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004619"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bug identified and being fixed atm.

From twitter:
    Natural Selection 2 ‏@NS2
    Update on pre-cacheing bug: We have found it and are currently nailing it to the wall. Expect patch soon!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks a lot, DamDSx but I am concerned that my bug is NOT the precaching bug. From what I can tell I did have the precaching bug (in original post) but have since solved it. My bug experience can be explained like an onion. As I peel away layers and fix issues another arises!
    I think it is all realted alyasis.

The precaching bug causes certain textures and things to not load. Sometimes the ammount of textures is minimal and it lets you enter the game and play for X ammount of time.

Once you run into these problems in the NS world, the game bugs out, because the texture or model or whatever isnt there and it tries to load it and BOOM, game goes to the crapper.

I think this will fix it for you too, I have the precache bug and I managed to get in games a few times, only to crash minutes later.
    <!--quoteo(post=2004631:date=Nov 1 2012, 12:11 PM:name=DamDSx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DamDSx @ Nov 1 2012, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it is all realted alyasis.

The precaching bug causes certain textures and things to not load. Sometimes the ammount of textures is minimal and it lets you enter the game and play for X ammount of time.

Once you run into these problems in the NS world, the game bugs out, because the texture or model or whatever isnt there and it tries to load it and BOOM, game goes to the crapper.

I think this will fix it for you too, I have the precache bug and I managed to get in games a few times, only to crash minutes later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand. I am hopeful that the precaching bug is my problem because I am hoping it will be fixed. I am just worried that my bug is unrelated and that I will have to wait until someone smarter shows up to solve it or until another solution shows up that I haven't thought of. I have been able to play, at maximum, for about 20 minutes and loved every second of the game which makes my bug bittersweet! Its like playing a timed demo or something. I feel bad for my teammates because we'll be in the middle of something big and wham- there I go running into a wall or something. (I'm not sure what they see on their end).

I know this isn't the place for suggestions but I was speaking to a friend who has the game and we both were discussing that it would be nice to have an option where the game precaches when we start it up. It would have a longer start-up time but shorter load-time in game. They could streamline that process and also they would only have to precache (I think) for servers with custom/modded content. That would be a big improvement. I hope my criticism comes off as constructive.

I am updating physx now, Ironhorse. Thank you again!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    NP man, please let me know how it goes.
    The first logs you posted were obvious that your 8800 is being overloaded memory wise, so i suggest keeping texture streaming on no matter what for the time being, secondly i'd suggest lowering all your settings to low / off, especially texture settings!

Then after the physX install give her a go and let me know what occurs - same error, same scenario etc?
    Goodluck!
    The problem with precaching on startup is that you would have to preload every single texture. from a performance point of view and a requirements point of view, that is inviable. users would probably need a minimum of 6GB to load everyting from models to textures to shaders and be able to run the game and have windows running in the background.

What can be preloaded on startup are user specific textures and models, aliens, marines, buildings, and leaving map textures and specific textures map related and mod related to load at server join.

This seems more viable and I think it is something UWE is considering, since precaching has been an issue since at least the last 2 beta builds
    I just played an entire game, pretty much, with no crashes! This was after all my above fixes, the patch, and the physx update as well. The only problem I experienced was that when I hit escape to leave the game for bed it sort-of-froze and I tried to ctrl+alt+delete. However it seems I was just impatient because the escape menu then loaded and my game alt+tabbed out because of my ctrl+alt+delete.

I'm super happy, super ecstatic. I'm glad I never let it get me down because boy was that one game worth the wait.

Thanks so much for the help and if I have a future issue I'll post it in this thread. :)