Art book + Soundtrack discussion

antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
First off, you can currently find the soundtrack and the art book at.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\DeluxeEdition

So what did you guys think? I thought the soundtrack was fantastic, especially "The future".

Also make sure you listen to the soundtrack as you read the art-book. A lot of great parts in there, plus concept art for the new maps coming out. I enjoyed it alot.

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>antacid:</b></u>

I think I'll rewatch the launch tailer in HD while it downloads ;)
  • KalrellKalrell Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33464Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can safely say after looking at Corys awesome concepts, i can't wait for ns2_biodome, ns2_descent and ns2_discovery! Real pretty looking. :D
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I don't have Deluxe Edition folder :(
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Restart steam or register for the steam beta and it should download the deluxe edition folder.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Am I the only one who thinks that the exosuit concept looks better than the current exosuit that we have?
    Its on page 7 of the artbook
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    Ermegurd!!!!
    Biodome and Discovery has more plant props!

I am currently putting my map (was gonna be called ns2_Biodome) on hold due to lack of grass (I tried making it as a sprite prop but really couldn't get it to work) and I hope that UWE will release the tree/grass/flora props into the World Engine as soon as they are made! :)

Suppose I need a new name now... :(
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    Biosphere could work.

Also try playing NS2 with the soundtrack running in the background, it is pretty great actually.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004472:date=Nov 1 2012, 02:39 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Nov 1 2012, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Biosphere could work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Problem is... its not a sphere... its a dome .. xD
    Its literally a huge dome facility on the surface of an un-terraformed planet! xD

But yeah music is also good to listen to whilst waiting to get into a game.
    Anyone else trying to join the server with 120 people in? xD
  • hub3rtu2hub3rtu2 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165478Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Does anyone have weird skip/jump on the Main Menu track (around 1:20 mark)? Few tracks are also missing the year tag.

I love the soundtrack and hope you'll get these new maps out soon enough :3
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can I haz soundtrack in some lossless format (preferably flac, but I can convert it myself if needed)? Please consider upping it somewhere and distributing access codes eventually.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    Art book is pretty good, gives some insight into the development process, and I love all the creative processes that went into the art style.
    I never thought about the references that much, but it's nice to know where they came from.

I did notice a couple missing words here and there throughout the book, though.
  • icecoldhateradeicecoldhaterade Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164753Members
    great stuff im not very far into either yet listening and reading while trying to work and get things done really liking what i see/hear though. i may not be able to play till they fix the 32 bit bug but this stuff is gold and will definitely take some time to enjoy

i cant believe they just gave away the upgrade to deluxe edition to us early adopters who preordered before launch but im glad they did i got my copy the 1st day it was available steam and this deluxe edition content was worth the wait best game bonus ive ever recieved

thank you UWE
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The art-book is really nice, Cory's drawing are awesome.

I didn't listen to everything yet, the tracks are nicely done, but I don't think I would listen to it everyday :)
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its all really great. The concept art has some awesome ideas that I hope get used later. Those ugprade chambers look so cool.

I have to agree with the other poster that I REALLY liked the other exo concept. It's a shame it had too many issues to be used cause it really looks more like a person in armor rather than purely machine.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    This is awesome. The soundtrack is so great. I am excited for more new maps and continued additions to the game. Reminds me that the release of the game was not the end, but only a checkpoint, in the development of this amazing game :')
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004559:date=Nov 1 2012, 04:38 PM:name=hub3rtu2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hub3rtu2 @ Nov 1 2012, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone have weird skip/jump on the Main Menu track (around 1:20 mark)? Few tracks are also missing the year tag.

I love the soundtrack and hope you'll get these new maps out soon enough :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can confirm the strange Jump in the music. I noticed it while listening in. Beyond that little error, the soundtrack is amazing.

Cory is an amazing artist. Everything is so consistent and realistic looking. I also love the little touches of personality in some of the concepts (namely marines with disgusted faces and things like that).
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    i jizzed at the picture with marine without his helmet, i think best one !
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Have you seen the Exoskeleton on the right side with the miniguns and the open visor? I whish they would use that. Looks way cooler than the minimech -_-
    The artbok really fired me up for the post 1.0 maps ;)

But there are only 2 Avatars? OK :D Well, GOG has supplied me with enough avatars anyways :P

And what about the wallpapers? I saw them in the forum before the release. They look cool and well done, but I would have prefered something that is more like the original game style. Anyways, it is free and the music is well done! Thanks UWE! I whish they would give us the choice of which track we want to hear in the main menu. Because I liked the first menu music the most ;)
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The "fat" phase gate (upper left on pg page), looks like it could still be useful ingame, like a special, expensive PG upgrade that also teleports exos
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2005074:date=Nov 1 2012, 08:46 PM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Nov 1 2012, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2005074"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The "fat" phase gate (upper left on pg page), looks like it could still be useful ingame, like a special, expensive PG upgrade that also teleports exos<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would have to be reaaally expensive as phase-gateing exos is pretty overpowered.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    the Fade concept art was beautiful (bottom right). I would love to see some kind of <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmLlk9mby8" target="_blank">Thane Krios</a> / ninja gaiden animated Fade.

edit: loved the concept of the Alien structures originating from sea creatures as well. now that I remember, a lot of the settings in NS1 featured murky underwater hive rooms:
    ns_bast's Feedwater Control
    ns_hera's Ventilation 3-C
    ns_eclipse's Computer Core
    ns_nothing's Power Silo

damn there was a lot of water, those environments were pretty cool
  • comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    Really waiting for that "Discovery" map. Seems awesome.
    Also, I want my soundtrack in FLAC ! I demand it ! :(
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    Loving the soundtrack.

I was also looking at the wallpapers and some of them look familiar, did a community member do them?
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    i also like the exo concept better than the in-game exo. I love the overall style, the only two models i don't like are the exo and the mac.
    That's all critique i have.

Love the soundtrack!
    Love the Artbook!
    And i can't wait for ns2_descend and ns2_discovery! Also so i can use the models in my map :D
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Rantology made them
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118794&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...118794&st=0</a>
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2006364:date=Nov 2 2012, 09:11 AM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Nov 2 2012, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2006364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rantology made them
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118794&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...118794&st=0</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah thats what i thought.

The orange streaks coming from the eyes are kind of unforgettable
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    The concept art of Biodome got me very excited. :D

Cory is brilliant.
  • icecoldhateradeicecoldhaterade Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164753Members
    i feel that anyone who cheaps out and buys standard edition doesnt have a copmplete game because while the game is the best thing ive ever played the artbook and sound track really tie everything together and let you get in the devs heads and understand the NS2 world also the drawings are nice to look at