Natural Selection 2 News Update - Natural Selection 2 v1.0 released on Steam

123457»

Comments

• gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003390:date=Oct 31 2012, 01:54 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Oct 31 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My first experience with NS2 1.0:

Try to join a game... server full.
    Try another server... full again.
    Ok no problem, but now the server list is empty and won't refresh anymore.
    Need to restart Steam.

Finally get into a game on an official UWE server.
    Pleasantly surprised by the performance ...
    ... until we reach the mid game.
    There the server's tick rate regularly drops below 15, my game begins to lag,
    especially when moving fast (blink, celerity), when opening the map or when entering combat.
    Keep in mind my PC is above the recommended requirements.

Conclusion: This game still needs serious work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In your case I dont think it is a game issue. For that problem you listed it could very well be a server problem. As for your servers not showing on the list, it is a known Steam issue, not UWE problem.
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    My major problem with 1.0 is reaching a server with good enough players. I got some favorite since the beta, but with all these "officials servers" it's rather hard to get the favorite list on top before refresh is over (the favorite servers are moving between each other until the refresh stop..)
    A favorite tab with only the server tagged like this would be cool for fast refresh.

So all the game were with newbies that hardly understand how this is working :/
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Three PC's in my house and game will not work on any, whens this fix coming?
  • Dead MeatDead Meat Join Date: 2003-10-20 Member: 21803Members, Constellation
    Fantastic job, guys! Get some well deserved rest.

I had some fantastic times with NS1 about 7-8 years ago, and remember discussing how to fund NS2. I preordered later, of course, but I haven't been playing for years and now that it's finally out, I have no longer have neither the time or the energy, much to my dismay. Some day, maybe...

I hope you all have a great time with NS2! Seems like an awesome game!
  • rada660rada660 Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70342Members
    Im happy to say how awesome it is to see a game starting to its root to its release.

I've seen it all from its start.

I was here when they started the open alpha, where everything was sluggish and there was only the training room with those cardboard dummies to shoot at, so you can see what you waiting for.

Then its was the second-stage alpha, right before the beta, where the community started to tweak the LUA code, making it more stable, actually having multiplayer through the code they made, and do marine only deathmatch, then someone snatched the base detail of a skulk and made it move ( well... slide and float over the ground ) but still was able to bite anyway with a rough animation, even the dev itself was stoned about how awesome the community was about the lua recoding they did and share among the community so they could envoy an early stage game play.

then the first stage beta happen, sadly for me i was unable to play it until i could pre-order it... which happen like 3 or 4 year ago. Its was laggy, many glitch ang bugs, only skulk and gorge, when marine only had the base machinegun ( then later pistol and axes ) then the flamethrower happen, which was overly powerful, but dev work on it and its a good balanced weapon today.

then lerk made its appearance, than its was the long awaited fade

all that with constant update tweaking new feature new maps along the road.

then today happen, new shiny game, not so different than the first one, but yet so more powerful feeling about it, actually more different in all aspect.

Dev kept in touch with us the community, they shared their idea with us, we shared our own with them, they listened, unlike other large game company where they, yes maybe dedicated to their game, but they dont do anything about community but only think about their money and themself, which is a shame.

UW is completly different, they only did 2 game so far and yet so popular anyway, but i believe not enough.

But today id say thank to the dev, not for making a great game, but being there with the community to do a great game.
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Congrats you guys. Good Job on making an awesome sequel!

I would like to note that <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a> on right hand side still shows "Pre-Order", when it should say Order Now!
  • Malachai13Malachai13 Join Date: 2010-11-09 Member: 74845Members
    edited October 2012
    I just checked the steam store, in the last 12 hours, NS2 has jumped from #4 to #1 top seller on steam! CONGRATS UWE!! :3
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    Can't play with the new players that think they are leet cs players....
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2003924:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:39 PM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 31 2012, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't play with the new players that think they are leet cs players....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sure you can. Be the commander and send them to their death. ;)
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    Played several matches now and it's been a lot of fun. Refinery is absolutely brilliant.

Team play seems to work pretty good as well, I haven't had a single match where no one wanted to command or people just ran off, for some reason most people seem to obey the commanders suggestions. And so far I've only encountered one flaming crybaby, it seems NS2 just doesn't attract the crowd you see in many other multiplayer games.

Congrats UWE for pulling this off.
  • Sardaukar KySardaukar Ky Join Date: 2012-05-31 Member: 152799Members
    Only one comment: "Chapeau bas, messieurs."
  • Sardaukar KySardaukar Ky Join Date: 2012-05-31 Member: 152799Members
    Only one comment: "Chapeau bas, messieurs."
  • TmHTmH Join Date: 2004-10-05 Member: 32096Members, Constellation
    Congrats UWE! Must admit I haven't played the beta much, since I don't have as much free time on my hands as I used to, but I'll definitely try a few games in the near future.
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Works perfectly on my end, had to restart steam a few times to begin with and its occasionally slow to load the maps, but otherwise smooth! And the new players are generally nice.

Congrats on v.1 UWE!
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I've played 2 hours yesterday. Very funny, I love this game.
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    I'd just like to add that I love the artbook. For those who don't know, if you've purchased the beta you will now find the score and artbook in your game directory under "~\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\DeluxeEdition"; listening to the score while reading through the artbook is a pretty nice way to start the day.
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    Awesome, I love you guys for being the most awesome devs on the planet!
  • SpookasemSpookasem Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157836Members
    Hi guys,
    so yesterday I had the pleasure of trying the game I've been following for 2 years. I'm pleased to say none of my fears were realised. Performance was good and luckily I had some servers in my own country that I could join and play around in. I love the game's sound FX! :)

I'm asuming after a well deserved rest you guys will continue to release patches, so...

Here are 3 small low priority bugs I noticed:
    1. On a clean install 'Q' was bound to both 'request medpack' and something else (I forgot what it was now >_<).
    2. When a server is full it pops you back to the game's main menu instead of the server browser as I would've expected.
    3. When I was in explore mode, I tried to drop a mine pack as a commander outside the allowed bounds but then immediataly after that when clicking to drop it within the green bounds it showed an error msg again, but on the 3rd try it seemed to work. I couldn't always reproduce it 100% though...

Thanks for all your hard work UWE!
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Commed (as Alien and Marine) for the first time, ever (I never commed even back in NS1). I now have an even greater respect for good comms that know what they're doing and keep up on everything without being reminded to do so. I'll be hopping in the com chair/hive more in the future, it's actually kind of addicting.

Also, respect for the commander's little helpers (the guys who work to aid and enhance the commander's efforts by building stuff, reporting on movements, etc.) That's selfless dedication, giving up chances to get kills in order to work for the greater good of the team.

p.s. The people who whine/complain and generally pull down the morale and team spirit by doing so because 'exos are not researched yet' or 'whurrr iz mah celery'... you guys are not helping. The comm is being pulled in 3 - 4 directions at all times, and it is essential to keep a calm head and not go berserk with the resources. Even if you ARE a better comm, it is better to let new commanders learn the ropes so that YOU can enjoy shooting aliens in the face, or fading, or whatever.
  • AshesAshes Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72405Members
    Great work guys, I couldn't be happier to have pre-ordered so long ago. The game is fantastic, and the soundtrack totally rocks too!
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    Every time i go into mineshaft i get tremendous lagg..... dunno if you can do something about it
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited November 2012
  • JusticeBladeJusticeBlade Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11440Members
    Very satisfied with NS2, it's an awesome thing to experience in this 1.0 state having played the first mod so many years ago.

I think in the long run some features and balances mentioned on the suggestions forums need to be implemented, but knowing UWE I have faith they'll prosper well and we'll see this game bloom and infest our gamer hearts like a well tended Hive.
  • CthulhuCthulhu Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159368Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004346:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:12 AM:name=cron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cron @ Nov 1 2012, 06:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd just like to add that I love the artbook. For those who don't know, if you've purchased the beta you will now find the score and artbook in your game directory under "~\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\DeluxeEdition"; listening to the score while reading through the artbook is a pretty nice way to start the day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I can't find them anywhere. I checked the game directory but it's not there. I got the special armor, but the rest of the stuff hasn't appeared. Any word on if this is happening to a bunch of people, or is this a personal problem?

*edit* nvm, they showed up with the update that just happened
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Anyone else pleasantly surprised by how well the game is still doing on the top sellers? It even seems to be competing with football manager which is horrendously popular in euroland.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021165:date=Nov 12 2012, 09:45 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 12 2012, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone else pleasantly surprised by how well the game is still doing on the top sellers? It even seems to be competing with football manager which is horrendously popular in euroland.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew it would be a success but never expected such a big one.
    Very pleasantly surprised.
    Now we have the basis for a even better game as it is now.

And big thx to our commnunity.Think we are/were a small part of this big success.

Go on now.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We are refreshing the top sellers constantly, hoping to see it high in the list, but of course always worried it will drop off into obscurity. So far we've been very happy with the sales though!