Worst. Server browser. Ever.

TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
1) No distinction between 'refresh' and 'reload'. Reload means get the whole new list from the MSDB. Refresh means whatever servers I have filtered down to, only reping and refresh THOSE. If you want to find an empty server, you constantly have to refresh the WHOLE LIST which is insanity.

2) After you do that, you have to wait for the list to actually stop populating in the background, because all your servers are having seizures on the list.

3) Find a server with empty slots. Click join.

4) All menu elements disappear. You now 'hang' looking at the background for a good 10-20 seconds for no reason whatsoever.

5) Map starts to load! Begins connecting to server...

6) Kicked back to menu. Server is full.

-_-

Why isn't the FIRST THING THAT IS DONE - which is how it works in EVERY OTHER GAME EVER - that my client sends a slot query / reservation to the server? So if there's any open slots, it puts me in one and says 'Wait for me to load', instead of going through this stupid ######-dance every time I want to try to join a server with 3 or fewer slots open?

Comments

• THAUmaTURgicTHAUmaTURgic Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5110Members
    If you can imagine it - it was worse until a couple of builds ago.

It definitely needs the distinction between loading/reloading the master list and just refreshing the server for data + the query before joining.

There are work arounds like <a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">Nanogrid</a> that you may want to use until this get addressed. Hopefully one of the top priority things now that we are Post 1.0, as connecting to the game is the important first step!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not going to disagree with you, getting trolled by the joining server into server is full message is aggravating.
    As well as the jumping rows constantly shifting all over the list with no option to cancel the search.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Agreed i couldnt play for 30 mins coz thats how long it took me to get into a server. Madness.

i look for 10+ server to join, server browser finally finishes updating so you can click the server you spotted, loads up kicked for server is full. ok ill "queue" to join in, kicked again from server is full....

` exit
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited November 2012
    Sweet finally got into not one server, but two!

First server - alien team has only one hive. Marines have 30+ kills and are standing around in exo blasting skulks as they spawn.

Second server - alien team down by 4 players. Only one hive. Marines have every single res node and are in heavy. Three ARCs rolling around. One marine is just nuking every skullk that attacks by shooting grenades at his feet with apparently absolutely no harm to himself.

So much fun. PS: Both were rookie servers too.
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    Please use:

<a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/</a>

until server browser issues are resolved, you can browse and connect to servers via this link.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited November 2012
    Refreshing list ---> join Server -> Server FUll! ---> refreshing list ---> join Server --> Server full! ---> refreshing list ---> join Server --> Server full! ---> refreshing list---> my eyes start bleeding ---> join Server --> Server full! ---> refreshing list ---> join Server --> Server full! ---> quit the game and eating my fingers
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    Yes, it needs a bit more work - more filters and better handling of refresh/reloading.
  • BuckfastBuckfast Join Date: 2012-09-08 Member: 158627Members
    I wish I could find servers through Steam, any chance of that happening?
  • BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    If this really does annoy you this much, why do you keep joining servers that only have one slot free?
    Seems to me you guys are part of your own problem.

There's still some work left on the server browser though, that's for sure.
    I have no doubts that it will be much better soon though, it's been improved greatly the last month.

A refresh/reload all and a regular refresh/quick refresh would be handy as well as a "stop refresh" button.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004137:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:20 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 1 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) No distinction between 'refresh' and 'reload'. Reload means get the whole new list from the MSDB. Refresh means whatever servers I have filtered down to, only reping and refresh THOSE. If you want to find an empty server, you constantly have to refresh the WHOLE LIST which is insanity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Those aren't technically different things... If the server list of length X took Y seconds to populate in the first time, than the server list of lenghth X will also take Y seconds to refresh.

There should really be a button to refresh only the servers on screen though. (or do that automatically, in real time, once per second. Refreshing 20 some odd servers should basically feel instant)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) After you do that, you have to wait for the list to actually stop populating in the background, because all your servers are having seizures on the list.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is actually done exactly the way the steam server system did it. The only difference is that on the steam server list it defaulted into sorting by ping, if you click the "ping" section on NS2s server list you get that behavior. The default of NS is to sort by "newest" added to the list, which is very arbitrary. It should be defaulting to ping sort, an unsorted list should always be hidden from the end user.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3) Find a server with empty slots. Click join.

4) All menu elements disappear. You now 'hang' looking at the background for a good 10-20 seconds for no reason whatsoever.

-_-

Why isn't the FIRST THING THAT IS DONE - which is how it works in EVERY OTHER GAME EVER - that my client sends a slot query / reservation to the server? So if there's any open slots, it puts me in one and says 'Wait for me to load', instead of going through this stupid ######-dance every time I want to try to join a server with 3 or fewer slots open?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, this was quite a big oversight. I mean, other games have the same problem... from the time you see the server, to the time you actually click on it, the slot you saw open may have been closed... but on every other game it doesn't let the game start loading before it performs that check. I suspect the problem is that the server doesn't start reporting a slot as filled until a player has finished loading. That's really bad practice, as soon as the player attempts to begin loading the server should mark his slot as reserved, and stop reporting that it's open. This actually isn't the fault of the server browser however... it's the fault of the server client.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004243:date=Nov 1 2012, 07:47 AM:name=Brainmaggot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brainmaggot @ Nov 1 2012, 07:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this really does annoy you this much, why do you keep joining servers that only have one slot free?
    Seems to me you guys are part of your own problem.

There's still some work left on the server browser though, that's for sure.
    I have no doubts that it will be much better soon though, it's been improved greatly the last month.

A refresh/reload all and a regular refresh/quick refresh would be handy as well as a "stop refresh" button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because that is the only type of server that exists right now.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) No distinction between 'refresh' and 'reload'. Reload means get the whole new list from the MSDB. Refresh means whatever servers I have filtered down to, only reping and refresh THOSE. If you want to find an empty server, you constantly have to refresh the WHOLE LIST which is insanity.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->6) Kicked back to menu. Server is full.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if the client thinks a slot is free, if not you get placed in a waiting list. Just click one quickly after a refresh.

I find this serverlist a huge step up from the previous one used, but I agree that it could be better.
  • BrainmaggotBrainmaggot Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157535Members
    There is definately a lot of that going on, yes, but not all of the servers.

I see servers with a few to a bunch of slots avaliable all the time. Now that there's a boat load of players playing it will get populated quick anyway :)

I'm not saying it's not annoying. I'm saying that if it really is that annoying, why keep trying to squeeze into a server a bunch of other people want to get into as well?
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2004137:date=Nov 1 2012, 06:20 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 1 2012, 06:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) No distinction between 'refresh' and 'reload'. Reload means get the whole new list from the MSDB. Refresh means whatever servers I have filtered down to, only reping and refresh THOSE. If you want to find an empty server, you constantly have to refresh the WHOLE LIST which is insanity.

2) After you do that, you have to wait for the list to actually stop populating in the background, because all your servers are having seizures on the list.

3) Find a server with empty slots. Click join.

-_-

Why isn't the FIRST THING THAT IS DONE - which is how it works in EVERY OTHER GAME EVER - that my client sends a slot query / reservation to the server? So if there's any open slots, it puts me in one and says 'Wait for me to load', instead of going through this stupid ######-dance every time I want to try to join a server with 3 or fewer slots open?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is exactly what I am going through, but I only get 2 shots at joining a server before my server list goes completely blank..........Browser needs a fix soon!
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    <u><b>Temphage:</b></u>

I use Steam's friend UI to join games
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I have no doubt this will be high priority for UWE. They tend to jump on problems as quickly as they can. I don't think they ever imagined the game being this much of a success so you can't blame them for not knowing the server browser wouldn't cope with it. Trust me... they'll sort it out and it'll be out to us as soon as it's done.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2004316:date=Nov 1 2012, 01:49 PM:name=ForlornHope)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ForlornHope @ Nov 1 2012, 01:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no doubt this will be high priority for UWE. They tend to jump on problems as quickly as they can. I don't think they ever imagined the game being this much of a success so you can't blame them for not knowing the server browser wouldn't cope with it. Trust me... they'll sort it out and it'll be out to us as soon as it's done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think so, too. Last time we complained about the server browser, they changed everything we pointed out. Well, nobody pointed out the stuff that is left now, so I'm sure they'll get that as well.
    Actually I think they did never let us down. It just takes time. I'm sure Hive Teleport will come back as well, and another PRes model :D
  • 4bdul4bdul Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164668Members
    I hope that there will be a quicker and easier way to add servers to favourites. I know that theres the star function, but no way to add servers by IP address - or add the server you're currently on - this is really important to build community orientated servers.
  • NarfleNarfle Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165123Members
    I think the server browser really need to let you use the arrow keys UP/DOWN after you (single)clicked on any server. Very annoying when the server list is "dancing" all over the place and you know which one you want to click and you aaaaaallmost clicked it, but god damn dancing. Just hitting UP/DOWN a few times would make it way easier (for me) to select the server i want.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Sorting by name solve the dancing.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    been saying it for ages

Not been fixed
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    It'd be so much better if there was a simple button that stopped your looking for servers, since even with your filters on you still have to populate the whole list.

It UWE's credit it was incredibly worse earlier lol imagine what we have now... only it takes forever to populate a small list of servers. Yeah thats what we used to have.
  • inespieinespie Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165486Members
    hi,

I have an other problem with the server browser:

in the "game" shearch tab, if you write a special letter ( like accent, éèà ), you can't delete it. It is replaced by an undeletable "?"

So your server browser is locked.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Not even close to being the worst server browser ever. It need a separate favorites tab though.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    steam only game which doesn't use steam browser, big let down.

its amazing rather than adopt steam browser into the game they're designing whole new browser into the game which isn't even needed. But hey if you're remaking whole new browser at least copy the working steam browser....I just don't get it what the hell really, why you choice the ladder every time when making this game.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you don't need a very specific server, why not use quickjoin?
  • TheGlowTheGlow Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9650Members
    Hell, they just added filtering for full and empty.
    Used to be just sort by ping and players. then again there were only 20-30 servers a few months ago.
    Once everything clears up, itll be smooth. NS1 i played for years, good times.
    When I go drinking wit friends we remember that time we held the last hive vs heavys and jps, just a lerk and fade.
    When fade was ehhh and Lerk was a melee machine.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    If you're having so much trouble with the default browser, you can always use menumod from the steam workshop:)
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    speaking of workshop, I still prefer steam browser over the menumod never liked its interface. steam browser is much more cleaner interface, compared to it. But maybe someone will create steam browser addon soon, that's actually be wonderful addition to the browser experience.

Although we should be able to access steam browser since its steam only game.
  • inespieinespie Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165486Members
    quick join work ? not with me.