Adapting commander hot-keys to your keyboard

Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
edited November 2012 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">For those of us not using a qwerty keyboard</div>Hi,
I love the hot-keys in commander mode, they really make it quick and easy to upgrade, build or assist, however I'm French and therefore not using a QWERTY keyboard but an AZERTY.
As the bindings are thought for a QWERTY it is a bit painful to use those keys as a reflex.

The solution for that is quite easy:
Go to C:\Users\"Your username"\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 and modify the options.xml file. It contains the key bindings among other things. To be safe make a copy of that file before applying modifications.

<b>EDIT: It seems this file was moved</b> (It is still at the place described above on my computer but also in this other place)
You can now find it at this location: steam(as in where steam is installed on your computer)/userdata/"A number (your id ?)"/4920/remote

For instance for a French keyboard you will have to switch A and Q as well as Z and W.
You should find this in the file :
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'><Q>Q</Q>
[...]
<Z>Z</Z>
[...]
<W>W</W>
[...]
<A>A</A>
</div>
Just replace it with this :
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'><Q>A</Q>
[...]
<Z>W</Z>
[...]
<W>Z</W>
[...]
<A>Q</A></div>

For German people, if I recall correctly you use a QWERTZ keyboard so you just need to switch Y and Z in the same way.

As the bindings for the movements are in other XML tags you won't even have to change your other bindings as you would if you swithed your keyboard in QWERTY via windows each time you wanted to play.

I hope that can help.
Ask if you have any questions.

Comments

• vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
  • Pollux568Pollux568 Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25122Members
    Is there a way to make it work on the map editor ?
    (to move in the perspective view with correct keys)
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    Sorry I don't know if it is possible to change those key bindings, and where they are defined.
  • remramremram Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139815Members
    I found this topic via Google, however the file you mention seems to have moved... I'm also French and these default mappings are difficult.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2004186:date=Nov 1 2012, 11:54 AM:name=remram)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (remram @ Nov 1 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2004186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I found this topic via Google, however the file you mention seems to have moved... I'm also French and these default mappings are difficult.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It seems you are right, I updated the first post to reflect the new place of this file.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    +1 Great guide.

Germans just need to change this line
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->        <Z>Z</Z><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    like this:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->        <Z>Y</Z><!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

No problem for people like us who just fire up their Notepad++ and off we go.
    But what about all the other NS2 players who (maybe) never modified even a .txt file in their life or can't be bothered or just expect a game to work?
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Edit: "Wrong comment"
  • Martin7Martin7 Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148108Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Edit: "Wrong comment"