If you're not that new to NS2, Command!

BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Give the new guys some good games ;)</div>Just a suggestion for those who have played NS2 for a little while now..

<b>Don't be shy and jump into the commanders chair</b>.. It'll give those new to the game a good idea of techs that are available and what's expected of a commander.. you don't have to be good, just be communicative ;)

Use alert icons to direct your new teammates.. use expressions like 'go to shipping please! south/bottom of the map' (ps. I really like the addition of the mini map in the loading screen introcuded a patch or three back) .. explain what you're doing each step (within reason)

But really .. just set an example and make the new experiences as smooth and instructive as possible :D

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2012
    Indeed, this is fun, especially with voicecom.
    Even greens know how to kill stuff with exos, ARCs and MACs >:D
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    And if you are not com try to help the com. In my last game i went gorge and instructed the com where to place what, helped him to build the structures etc. we ended up winning
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    I've been spending 2 years in that ###### com chair.

You greenie's are supposed to let me retire!
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    uhh i command now all the time it's fun with newbies because most of the time they actually follow orders not like vets who just think they know better.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    It's also amazing and fun to see how much better the team becomes when they get good instructions. I am actually glad so many new people are playing cause so far they just seem to enjoy themselves and don't take it so seriously as many of the beta players. Very refreshing to just relax and have fun and not necessarily play your absolute best.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm definitely planning to do some commanding now while everyone is new, I've never really spent a serious amount of time with it. When your whole team is new, nobody judges!
  • MunchySnacks1MunchySnacks1 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164609Members
    I think I have commanded more games since last night that I did the entire 2-3 years I was doing beta or however long it has been out! I am just an ok com but I must admit I get all the ###### that the commanders used to do in game where people just don't do what they should even with waypoints! To be fair though I don't let that show because when you're on a team full of all greens you should know to just step up and get in the com chair unless someone wants to learn it then you're helping them like you got helped back in the day.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2002865:date=Oct 31 2012, 11:37 AM:name=MunchySnacks1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunchySnacks1 @ Oct 31 2012, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I have commanded more games since last night that I did the entire 2-3 years I was doing beta or however long it has been out! I am just an ok com but I must admit I get all the ###### that the commanders used to do in game where people just don't do what they should even with waypoints! To be fair though I don't let that show because when you're on a team full of all greens you should know to just step up and get in the com chair unless someone wants to learn it then you're helping them like you got helped back in the day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you using a mic? If you're typing then you should expect to provide a purely infrastructure role because people won't notice your text or waypoints. They need somebody talking in their ear, waypoints are just an extra tool for showing them where you're talking about.
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I've been commanding a lot in the release, and may I suggest Alien commanders are highly needed! Marine commanders can somewhat blunder through, but with cysting and such, and individual buildings needed for individual upgrades, the alien kham HAS to know a bit about what to do.

Please make sure you go alien if it's all rookies and command. I've not lost a game yet with new players. Like said above, they listen, they try, and they actually sound like they're having a great time doing it!
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2002872:date=Oct 31 2012, 12:40 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Oct 31 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you using a mic? If you're typing then you should expect to provide a purely infrastructure role because people won't notice your text or waypoints. They need somebody talking in their ear, waypoints are just an extra tool for showing them where you're talking about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No I use both some people don't seem to respond to the mic so I set them waypoints but I am always chatting up the team. It's just annoying when they don't listen in the slightest ie we are losing cargo aliens for the love of god we can't win without it. Oh wait you wanted to go to topo instead to only be killed by marines instantly because you were solo?
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    But I have more fun teaching green people how to command wrong.
  • natedawgy7natedawgy7 Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72586Members
    haha so funny now... I'm not a great comm but on lots of these srvs no1 but me has a mic and I seem to be the only one who knows how to comm at all... at least the super nubs don't rage at the comm much, since they don't know what should be done anyways XD
  • GeekGeek Colorado Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10346Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Last night was full of games with bad comms or me having to comm so we could win one, had a few people say they didn't win any games until I came in and knew what to do. But as important as playing comm but also help the greens learn how things work and give tips that those of us beta players have found to work.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    I tried to comm today. Game crashed after jetpacks were researched :(
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm such a bad commander and I find myself in the chair most games so that the guys on the ground have a bit of direction.

Biggest thing I've noticed so far - almost no one knows about holding 'C' for the map until you tell them. I'll try to get them directions and they'll be hopelessly lost, and then I realize why and mention the map; the universal reaction is "OHHHHH WOW THAT HELPS SO MUCH D:"

I'm sure there's a tip in there for it somewhere, but it needs to be a LOT more obvious given how common this seems to be. Maybe even a constant, on-screen reminder next to the minimap ("Hold 'C' to expand the full map" or something).
    <!--quoteo(post=2002987:date=Oct 31 2012, 01:37 PM:name=Narfwak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narfwak @ Oct 31 2012, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm such a bad commander and I find myself in the chair most games so that the guys on the ground have a bit of direction.

Biggest thing I've noticed so far - almost no one knows about holding 'C' for the map until you tell them. I'll try to get them directions and they'll be hopelessly lost, and then I realize why and mention the map; the universal reaction is "OHHHHH WOW THAT HELPS SO MUCH D:"

I'm sure there's a tip in there for it somewhere, but it needs to be a LOT more obvious given how common this seems to be. Maybe even a constant, on-screen reminder next to the minimap ("Hold 'C' to expand the full map" or something).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really agree with this I had at least one player every game do this as com or player.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm really reluctant to command despite playing for a couple years, but I still comm'd a winning round for some new guys.