My First Impression

AgeOfHadesAgeOfHades Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164919Members
<div class="IPBDescription">first 2 games and a problem a friend seems to have</div>Hello all, just started NS2 since i got it on steam and i was fairly impressed by the game, got my first go at comm, was fairly cool, but probably cause im noob, but it seemed that the alien comm could get some more interesting defensive things? i swear i recall hearing somewhere that they could set up ambushes or something.

anyway, during the game where i was comm, the Marines made 3 or so mechs and proceeded to destroy my team and every attempt they made to kill them, my friend, swore off the game because he tried running into a very small room with them as an onos and proceeded to get kited and dominated. i personally dont see them as that bad, i think most of this spawned from it being a noob friendly game so every1 was still learning the game, but hes now sworn off it because of this, so im abit saddened by this loss.

idk if this has been discussed before but i think for 1, infestation needs to go away slower after the death of a cyst, it seems to go kinda quickly once it dies. also perhaps add like pitting in the walls (holes i think) after infestation has been there for awhile if the marines push them back?

i dont think aliens get a choice where to spawn if multiple hives are up, perhaps add that.

otherwise it seems to be a pretty great game, i think my friends were also complaining a little that the perspective doesnt change for the skulk when u go from floor to wallks to roof

Comments

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2002441:date=Oct 31 2012, 02:15 PM:name=AgeOfHades)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgeOfHades @ Oct 31 2012, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyway, during the game where i was comm, the Marines made 3 or so mechs and proceeded to destroy my team and every attempt they made to kill them, my friend, swore off the game because he tried running into a very small room with them as an onos and proceeded to get kited and dominated. i personally dont see them as that bad, i think most of this spawned from it being a noob friendly game so every1 was still learning the game, but hes now sworn off it because of this, so im abit saddened by this loss.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That frustration comes from the game being RTS/FPS -hybrid. Basically, those exo suits are almost the equivalent of onoses and can not always be easily taken down. I mean, they're supposed to be walking tanks. The best way to win Exo Suits is to pressure marine RTs the whole game so that marines don't have resources and time to research those. The second best way is to use gorge bilebombs and possibly very cautious onoses and suicide skulks. Failing all of the above will probably see you losing the game, just like having huge tanks siege your defenseless bases in any RTS.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Yes, the Exo suits require more cunning to overcome than brute force; especially with three grouped up. One solitary Onos would rightly be destroyed by that kind of overwhelming force. He'd have done better to go and kill one of their sub-bases while the Gorges bile-bombed the Exos, Lerks spored any welding marines, and Skulks pack-swarmed. It requires a concerted effort.

The lack of orientation-rotation to follow wall/ceiling-running was a design decision by the Devs early on. I'm still in favor of including a checkbox option myself, but apparently it was causing some pretty severe nausea during testing, and they decided to stick with keeping the floor 'down' and the ceiling 'up' as a result.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Like an onos can't be defeated by one or two marines, and exo can't be defeated by just a few aliens. Gorge bilebombs eat through exo armour quickly but they themselves get cut down easily so they need a lot of support in the process. If the marines seem to have a lot of exos (i.e. half the team or more) they may of doomed themselves to failure, forget them, let them walk into your hive. Whilst they slowly walk around the map the whole alien team can rush into the defenseless marine bases and win.

You're right about not being able to choose what hive to spawn at, this is something that has always annoyed me.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, I think that this should be mentioned: Exo suits can not use phase gates, build or be beaconed back to base. They are slow, and any significant push with exo suits will leave marine base that much less defended. Also, exos without active repair support are pretty easy to grind down. So, while there are uses for them and they can do significant damage, they have many weaknesses!
  • AgeOfHadesAgeOfHades Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164919Members
    edited October 2012
    Well thanks all for these positive responses, as i said we were all pretty much noobs in that game so we really didnt know what was going on or how to counter the exos.

my friend has stated that he will give it another go now that he knows these things.

also thanks to you guys for being a positive community in like the 5 responses u guys gave, definetly different.

Also, as an idea, im not certain if it was added by insted of only videos perhaps have the basics written down somewhere so people can quickly look over it to get the main gist of the game without having to watch all those videos.

it seems to me again that the commanders could maybe do with some more defensive options available, i mean i am still noob so i prob didnt explore some of the other options, it just seems like the variety in base defences is lacking a little.

also as an Edit: ive played Nuclear Dawn (similar style game) and it seemed that how they did the commander system wasnt that bad, they had a training program which gave the user a achievement on completion and the game let u check a box to say u want 2 be comm, then of those who want to be com it factors in those that have the achievement and maybe some other factors
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Static defenses are intentionally lacking, especially on the Marine side. Turrets are not meant to replace a Marine, but to act as a speed bump, a force multiplier for any Marines present, and to discourage random Skulks from gnawing on things opportunistically as easily. It was a design decision that makes the players responsible for playing the game, rather than static emplacements handling combat for them.

In NS1 there were stronger defenses (beefier/higher-damage turrets with 360-degree fields of effect, and electrification of structures) which affected gameplay negatively on the whole. They're working to avoid that misstep this time.
    <!--quoteo(post=2002470:date=Oct 31 2012, 02:48 PM:name=AgeOfHades)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgeOfHades @ Oct 31 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it seems to me again that the commanders could maybe do with some more defensive options available, i mean i am still noob so i prob didnt explore some of the other options, it just seems like the variety in base defences is lacking a little.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The lack of more direct defences is a conscious design choice by the developers. The reasoning is that players do not want to spend too much time in player-vs-structure/AI action. Adding more directly defensive structures would force players to spend more time hacking away at a static defence -> more chores.

Btw. many structures indirectly lend to defence. Examples of these are observatories, phase gates, armories, crags, shades etc which all allow your team to hold that location better. These do not directly do damage or attack, but buff the players in that area.
  • SoruzSoruz Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 164885Members
    I rather enjoy the sight and sound of a beacon. I don't think they could have chosen a more alarming, "Oh XXXX!" kind of noise than that. Watching them all flail wildly for orientation while blatting off millions of rounds after the teleport is good too.
    Aliens running into sentry bullets doesn't elicit the same sort of nail biting anxiousness in my opinion.
    decent point, one idea i did just have was for both commanders to have traps of various kinds, u know like pits in the floor stuff like that, seems like they could add those to add more control to areas
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2002485:date=Oct 31 2012, 10:06 AM:name=AgeOfHades)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgeOfHades @ Oct 31 2012, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002485"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->decent point, one idea i did just have was for both commanders to have traps of various kinds, u know like pits in the floor stuff like that, seems like they could add those to add more control to areas<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As alien commander you have the spike wall, that you can use to split the marines or trap them, but it's only usable in infestation

also, you can use the shift structure to drop eggs at other locations (like at lava fall in refinery)
    <!--quoteo(post=2002499:date=Oct 31 2012, 10:20 PM:name=goblin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goblin @ Oct 31 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As alien commander you have the spike wall, that you can use to split the marines or trap them, but it's only usable in infestation

also, you can use the shift structure to drop eggs at other locations (like at lava fall in refinery)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i mean there are those things, but it seemed to me that the cysts died pretty quickly and the infestation didnt seem to linger for 2 long afterwards
    Yep. Gaining and losing ground is an important aspect of the game, though I'd agree that infested areas which have been lost should revert at least a bit more slowly than the ~10 seconds it takes now, given the very slow speed of growth.

I'd still be strongly against adding more static defenses though.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was playing on refining today (which btw is 80% in favour of marines) and people really do not understand how to play the alien classes. They think the Onos just runs in and destroys everything, rather than slowly sieging its way through the map.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=2002501:date=Oct 31 2012, 12:24 PM:name=AgeOfHades)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgeOfHades @ Oct 31 2012, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i mean there are those things, but it seemed to me that the cysts died pretty quickly and the infestation didnt seem to linger for 2 long afterwards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the plus side dead cysts leave big red marks on the map, I basically see it as a "Hey we're over here, come and eat our faces off" marker. Which is another thing new players need to learn I guess, you shouldn't mindlessly attack cysts, it gives away your position.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You're going to make mistakes, you need to have the resilience to learn from them to really enjoy the game. Your friend made a huge mistake in trying to take on 3 exos by himself. An exo is a challenge 1v1 for an Onos. The way you kill them is by knocking out their welding marines and wearing down their armor - skulks are actually very effective because they're very challenging for the exos to hit, and gorge bile bomb messes them up too.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2002501:date=Oct 31 2012, 12:24 PM:name=AgeOfHades)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgeOfHades @ Oct 31 2012, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002501"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i mean there are those things, but it seemed to me that the cysts died pretty quickly and the infestation didnt seem to linger for 2 long afterwards<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey AgeOfHades :D

About the speed of infestation .. I don't it's as much of an issue as you think .. while infestation might reced, the structures on it stay alive for a period of time.. receding infestation and structures taking damage notify the alien commander he has to re-cyst.. you can also place cysts closer together so it'd take more than 1 cysts death to break the infestation chain

2 Craigs (healing structures) are enough to keep the structures alive without infestation (without Marine intervention ;) )
    (but you would lose some abilities.. I'm not sure if any eggs would spawn from a Shift structure if there was no infestation for the eggs to spawn to .. must check that :D )
    edited October 2012
    well ive played it abit more and yeah, i spose static wouldnt work 2 well, i do think that bullets apparently own a hive 2 much, i just saw a guy with a jetpack spinning around the hive and my team couldnt take him down cause he was spam flying with it, that just seemed abit 2 much.

Edit: afterplaying some more games, i noticed that it justs seems that the hydra is quite useless, in any circumstance ive seen, and a friend that uses them agrees.
    also it seemed that there were a few 2 many grenades being throw about