Brace Yourselves

Comments

• SuperflySuperfly Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3485Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2000455:date=Oct 29 2012, 10:45 PM:name=Bloodshothero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodshothero @ Oct 29 2012, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As one of these "noobs" I have been trying to take in as much content as I can(i.e. youtube and streams). I will try my best not to screw up to bad and can't wait to play with you all in game!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't worry about it. I recycled half our base last week because of a bad button bind... Nobody got bent out of shape... Some thought it was funny.

I fired myself from com and offered myself up as an indentured servant to the next com.
    <!--quoteo(post=2000785:date=Oct 30 2012, 08:18 AM:name=Highlander92)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Highlander92 @ Oct 30 2012, 08:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same, which is why i dont understand people who are beta players insist upon "guiding" people or hand holding. I already know everything about the game...and i havent played it. Its nice to be welcomed by vets and ty, but people dont always need their hand held.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You might be amazing at this game, but fair warning, the videos only show part of the game play. I've been gaming for decades at this point in my life and I can safely say that NS1 and NS2 have the steepest overall learning curves of any game that I have played.

This is not a bad thing, it adds much more to the satisfaction of getting better and learning the games mechanics. While I agree that people don't always need their hand held, keep in mind that the majority of the vets/beta players realize the potential for frustration of the incoming new players and simply want to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable experience.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If you've not played yet, I definitely recommend watching recent tourney matches on Twitch and youtube once you have a feel for the game. I've played about 180 hours of NS2 as a casual player and I still keep learning great new tactics and sneaky tips from those very clever/skilled players. It'll give you an edge while you are getting your aim and dodging up to speed.
  • crowell00crowell00 Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9108Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000741:date=Oct 30 2012, 07:22 AM:name=Angelusz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Angelusz @ Oct 30 2012, 07:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, it has nothing to do with member number.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I figured as much. Was hoping to be grandfathered in .
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    I don't always go <a href="http://i.imgur.com/nmFh3.jpg" target="_blank">95-15</a>, but when I do, I prefer launch day.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    To all new people, WELCOME ! :)
  • upperdemoonupperdemoon Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163147Members
    Thanks to post above me :)

Although i'am new, i did lead us (Marines) to our victory in my first match, we did have a commander before i stepped up, but he couldn't hold the pressure and left the chair, he also hoarded 200 T.res ;)
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000785:date=Oct 30 2012, 12:18 PM:name=Highlander92)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Highlander92 @ Oct 30 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same, which is why i dont understand people who are beta players insist upon "guiding" people or hand holding. I already know everything about the game...and i havent played it. Its nice to be welcomed by vets and ty, but people dont always need their hand held.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lolz waits for this guy to say: "Skulks dont work, they are too slow."
  • XaragothXaragoth Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154720Members
    Make them stop using the Chair, please, make them stop q.q

It's kinda funny. During Beta we had a lot of tactics and everyone knew what to do. Now we got utter chaos. I fought Skulls without Leap about 30m into a game. When they had 3 Hives.
  • SrengiSrengi Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155012Members
    I killed 4 skulks today with one clip. I then pistol killed one more, and when I ran out of ammo I hatchet killed one last one. It reminded me of that futurama: "Line up, single file and charge straight into the alien death cannon, clogging it with wreckage!" (or however it goes lol)

Don't get me wrong I'm not bragging about having skills at this game, I usually go in between 1:1 and 2:1 KD depending on the day, but when 4 skulks line up single file and charge straight at me floor style, well it makes me feel warm inside.

<!--quoteo(post=2002232:date=Oct 30 2012, 11:46 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Oct 30 2012, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't always go <a href="http://i.imgur.com/nmFh3.jpg" target="_blank">95-15</a>, but when I do, I prefer launch day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL!!
    We are GODS among men! Until everyone gets to practice as much as us...
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000636:date=Oct 30 2012, 09:04 PM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Oct 30 2012, 09:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black Armoured players are like gods. They aim better, move better, even own you with an axe better. Black armour is OP! Be very very afraid! ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry guys, but maybe I shouldnt be wearing my black armour for the next few days then....as i am a horible shot lol!
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    My first game today I killed 45. :) New Marines are quite fun to confuse. Also lost my first game of Alien's in awhile, my entire team (except me) were new players.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    I think today will be the first day in weeks without me playing NS2. The newbies, they scare me with their n00bness D:

In all seriousness though I hope they at least use a microphone and ask for advice. I'd rather a team mate say "WHAT DO I DO?!" instead of running around in silence making awful mistakes, especially if they're commanding.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    My favourite noob quotes:
    Why doesn't 'e' display the 'evolve menu'?
    I only fight alone.

Today was the first time a game 15-20 minutes in we had no upgrades. It turns out it was the commanders first game. ;D

It's quite fun nonetheless.
    Had a blast last night.

Round 1: Joined a marine team down by 2 players with a new com who was doing a fair job but too focused on the chair to lead. No body was communicating AT ALL. I thought that I joined a server full of no-mics. In the end I think they were also too focused learning to communicate. After a while of me trying to lead from the ground everyone started talking and organizing. We soundly beat the aliens with full tech.

Round 2: Same people but wanted to give the alien learners a fair chance. I joined aliens, after a few moments nobody wanted to com so I took over then spent OVER 1 HOUR trying to heard cats into attacking and defending. It was a very interesting experience. I maxed out res had every node except the marines base and could not get my cats to organize an attack. I was dropping Oni eggs like candy on Halloween. Finally I decided to abandon my hive and go Onos. I was able to get my cats together and we took their base.

Overall was a really fun time.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I had fun yesterday, i was going commander on alien side and marine and every time i won, a bit boring tho no real challenge.
  • shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    I had a great time.

Brushing up my commander skills (I had always let others do it, until I found myself on a team of greenguys)

Talking new comms through the process.

Soloing hives with a shotgun and jetpack.

Lots are familiar with NS1, so most of the time it's about explaining the differences. Most people use the mic when they should and ask sensible questions and follow orders really well.

Also: no constant-complaining-about-hitreg-and-performance-and-how-much-the-game-sucks-but-I-still-play-it-every-night-for-5-hours-at-a-time guys.
  • ItchySoxItchySox Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164632Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000735:date=Oct 30 2012, 11:10 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 30 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000735"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no black armour, but I'm still a god. I'll gladly help out. Look for David Bowie or Unkn0wn in game.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMCLz5PQVw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMCLz5PQVw</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi, lookin' forward to catching up with you. Loved the last album.
  • LikwidLikwid Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165045Members
    As a noob I can say, "hi"

I played NS back in the day but never seriously, was too into CS. I look forward to playing and learning NS2 :)
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    For the first time ever, I've been accused of hacking as a skulk. Went 10-1, mostly 1 on 1 or 2 marines vs 1. I do feel like a god. lol No way I would get away doing that in the betas

The best part was when an opponent said, "Good job team stacking. All our players are green and none of yours are" He didn't realize he couldn't tell which enemies were green or not. (3/4 of our team was green)

It's been fun to get new blood and walking them through the game. The new players will get better soon. No biggie.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Had some fun games last night with new comm players. One guy did alright, until he tried to tell everyone to get mechs...and then decided to recycle our second CC on veil to get extra resources. -_-
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    The Aliens are the main whipping boys right now cause anyone can shoot a gun. So I end up commanding aliens almost everytime since the entire team is green which is great, I love it actually. I got to teach many new players all night.

A few of the new guys comments:

I just saw an Alien horse, can I get one?
    A alien commander 10 minutes into the game when I joined, "they are all asking for upgrades, what is that?"

And then on a full team of new aliens I tell them to hit F key........ it was "WOWWWWW" and "BAD A$$!!!"

All of us vets really need to do our part not to own these new people to much, they will get discouraged... give them a kill or two ;-)
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    edited October 2012
    I have nothing agains noobs. I liked how they worked together... was commanding marines and they really worked in a group, told themselves to stay together and stuff like that. really cool.

But there are really uncool noobs aswell: the noob coms. why would you go com the first time you play the game? I don't get it.

Played several times tonight... always really noobish commanding: building the whole base on the same spot ("the sattelite dish goes here, right next to the armory, and left to that, this sentry battery"), building no second hive/command station... stuff like that.

One noob was really great: he was commanding (his name was NSPlayer, that says it all) Khaaraa, I joined them late in the game: he hadn't build any res tower, he didn't build any evolution chambers and he didn't build another hive... so 5 exos "rushed" the hive and killed it.

Shortly before the game was over NSPlayer chatted: "crap game" "*bad language* you marines should play aliens, they suck"

the thing I really don't like about noobs is that they don't know what a good commander is... and how to eject a bad one. =)

edit: to clarify: there are good noob coms aswell. I had one who was polite and did his best, we won in the end.... but these other ignorants...

edit: to clarify again (after reading the kind words of all of you): it's possible that I just want to rant about that "NSPlayer" guy and about another player who stole my command chair while I exited it to build an observatory and who started to build sentrys pointing in one direction everywhere... but I had also fun...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4o2jbbramB4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4o2jbbramB4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

It's been fun teaching new players, and seeing what new commanders do.

You should've seen the forward arms lab one made.
  • ItAxItAx Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155046Members
    edited October 2012
    Played whole day among noobs. What can I say... The game is... Different :D
    Broke my record atleast few times with K/D like ~90/3
    New players doesn't know any tactics so almost all matches are like chaos until a vet takes up a commanding positions, and even then many green players doesn't do what the commander orders them :| It's really frustrating being a commander right now.
    Another problem I noticed today is that new players rarely text or use mic. I mean sometimes whole match is in complete silence and I feel like im the only one talking through the mic.

Today is the day when weird ###### happens in ns2!
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2002512:date=Oct 31 2012, 08:37 AM:name=Superfly)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Superfly @ Oct 31 2012, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Had a blast last night.

Round 1: Joined a marine team down by 2 players with a new com who was doing a fair job but too focused on the chair to lead. No body was communicating AT ALL. I thought that I joined a server full of no-mics. In the end I think they were also too focused learning to communicate. After a while of me trying to lead from the ground everyone started talking and organizing. We soundly beat the aliens with full tech.

Round 2: Same people but wanted to give the alien learners a fair chance. I joined aliens, after a few moments nobody wanted to com so I took over then spent OVER 1 HOUR trying to heard cats into attacking and defending. It was a very interesting experience. I maxed out res had every node except the marines base and could not get my cats to organize an attack. I was dropping Oni eggs like candy on Halloween. Finally I decided to abandon my hive and go Onos. I was able to get my cats together and we took their base.

Overall was a really fun time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How does the "dropping onos eggs" system work? I've heard a comm talk about doing this, but I didn't see it having any effect on the game.
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003576:date=Oct 31 2012, 04:02 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Swiftspear @ Oct 31 2012, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How does the "dropping onos eggs" system work? I've heard a comm talk about doing this, but I didn't see it having any effect on the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Generally you can drop an onos egg as commander with Team Rez faster than a single player can accumulate enough rez to buy it themself. As the khammander you click on an egg and you can choose what to evolve it into at the cost of team rez. Its very useful to stop a push or just give your team an advantage. Keep in mind though it is a lot of rez.
  • GuspazGuspaz Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2862Members, Constellation
    As somebody who's been around here longer than most, I've got to say I'm a bit worried about the attitudes I'm seeing from some people towards new players.

I first played Natural-Selection ten years ago tomorrow. I downloaded the game on launch day on October 31, 2002, but couldn't actually fire it up until the next day. What an experience... Everything was so strange and wonderful. I think I played my first game as alien on ns_nancy, and it was quite an experience. All these bizarre creatures running around, strange fat ones building spiky buildings in some sort of cafeteria, things running up the walls... Nothing made any sense. But the community was welcoming, and patient, and the game quickly became less of a mystery and more of a place to hang out and game with friends. I had a great time playing in pubs, spending some time playing in clans, before retiring to Lunixmonster, one of the many "gaming community" style servers. And it was a great experience for years.

Fast forward to today, and I'm seeing a lot of hostility here towards new players that I didn't see in the forums in November 2002. I suspect that has something to do with the particularly open beta period this time around; in 2002, the vast majority of us were new at the game and learning together, while today there is a very large pre-existing community of beta players.

Please, be patient with new players. Be friendly. Be kind. Offer help and hints to those who struggle. Because the new players of today will be the veterans of tomorrow, and what a better way to contribute to the Natural-Selection community than helping expand that community by nurturing its newest members?

For my part, I'm going to take that leap in a few hours when I get home from work. I find myself, ironically, in much the same position as I was ten years ago. I pre-ordered the game the moment it went on sale, and poked at the very early dev builds a bit, and then set it aside until now. Yesterday, I updated the game to 1.0, but didn't have any free time to try it out. Today, the day after launch, just as I did ten years ago, I'm going to immerse myself into a new and wonderful world, and I can't wait.
  • TimmahIsASaintTimmahIsASaint Join Date: 2012-09-24 Member: 160678Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2003581:date=Oct 31 2012, 04:06 PM:name=Guspaz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Guspaz @ Oct 31 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2003581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As somebody who's been around here longer than most, I've got to say I'm a bit worried about the attitudes I'm seeing from some people towards new players.

I first played Natural-Selection ten years ago tomorrow. I downloaded the game on launch day on October 31, 2002, but couldn't actually fire it up until the next day. What an experience... Everything was so strange and wonderful. I think I played my first game as alien on ns_nancy, and it was quite an experience. All these bizarre creatures running around, strange fat ones building spiky buildings in some sort of cafeteria, things running up the walls... Nothing made any sense. But the community was welcoming, and patient, and the game quickly became less of a mystery and more of a place to hang out and game with friends. I had a great time playing in pubs, spending some time playing in clans, before retiring to Lunixmonster, one of the many "gaming community" style servers. And it was a great experience for years.

Fast forward to today, and I'm seeing a lot of hostility here towards new players that I didn't see in the forums in November 2002. I suspect that has something to do with the particularly open beta period this time around; in 2002, the vast majority of us were new at the game and learning together, while today there is a very large pre-existing community of beta players.

Please, be patient with new players. Be friendly. Be kind. Offer help and hints to those who struggle. Because the new players of today will be the veterans of tomorrow, and what a better way to contribute to the Natural-Selection community than helping expand that community by nurturing its newest members?

For my part, I'm going to take that leap in a few hours when I get home from work. I find myself, ironically, in much the same position as I was ten years ago. I pre-ordered the game the moment it went on sale, and poked at the very early dev builds a bit, and then set it aside until now. Yesterday, I updated the game to 1.0, but didn't have any free time to try it out. Today, the day after launch, just as I did ten years ago, I'm going to immerse myself into a new and wonderful world, and I can't wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really ? I'm sorry. To be honest for the most part I've seen very good attitudes from pretty much every game I've been in. The only bad one was a clan that stacked teams but I don't think I've seen any trash talk yet. Most players are very helpful to the commander and from what I've seen patient. At times you get the chickens running around with your heads cut off but if you can just ask for some grouping and forming of squads most Vets and Noobs alike will work together.

The only issue I'm running into is that 90% of games I play are stomps one way or another. I wish servers were set to all random but its still new and because of this I think advantages that wouldn't be game ending if everyone had a greater knowledge, are.
  • PowerfuryOAPowerfuryOA Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148314Members
    I have been loving launch day!

It's refreshing to see how the game is played when very few people know the ins and outs of the game. It's rookie vs rookie action, battle of the titans. I find it incredibly enjoyable when both teams don't know what to do as they try to pull together some strategy and momentum.

My mentality is that people who want to learn the game and be part of the team are rookies. The people who are noobs are the ones that don't listen, go out by themselves, and refuse to be part of the team.

I had a lot of long games today, but most of them were enjoyable! Marines won their fair share and so did Aliens.