Red Plug of Doom

serpicoserpico Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Can't seem to make it through a game without connection issues</div>I can't seem to play a full game without getting the red plug of doom and having to disconnect. I believe this started in build 224 for me and seems to be worse right now. Anyone else experiencing this? I have no connectivity issues with any other applications.

Comments

• neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    Hi,

My brother suffers from this issue and he is with Sky broadband who released an firmware update for there routers which causes an error whilst connecting to some game servers and unfortunately NS2 suffers from this. Don't know if this is the case for yourself. If yo are a sky customer you need to ask them to roll back your firmware version.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    packet loss occuring, either the server or your internet is running slow, try join a server with 90% or more performance with lots of players and you won't see this (from the server) but if you're sharing your internet connection with anyone -- their youtubing can be killing your gaming
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2002170:date=Oct 31 2012, 01:46 AM:name=Scubbo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scubbo @ Oct 31 2012, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2002170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->packet loss occuring, either the server or your internet is running slow, try join a server with 90% or more performance with lots of players and you won't see this (from the server) but if you're sharing your internet connection with anyone -- their youtubing can be killing your gaming<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm will to bet that is not the case. I've had it happened to me on several servers. I was even alt-tabbing to check the internet while the red plug remained, and i remained disconnected while being able to use the internet fine outside of NS2. My roommates also did not complain about any internet loss.

I was not playing with anyone I know at the time, but I believe it may have been the servers crashing or something because one time i made a point to go back and find the same server. Once I went in, it was empty, then people started to trickle back in.

I am not saying it was crashing every time because that is the one time I checked. Each time I did wait to see if I regained connection but I remained frozen until I decided to disconnect. But yeah could have only been me a couple times. However, the only difference between the occurrences were when they happened. Some were early on, one was 30 minutes into the game.

I have not had this issue in any of the previous builds. While I was playing though, game was awesome! Just gotta throw that in there =) Best performance for me yet, too.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    edited October 2012
    you'll get the red-plug if the server falls over too --- then you'll timeout

a lot of admins think their low clock-million core servers are good for singlethread applications, and run 20+ slot servers of NS2 which will inevitably die, sometimes very fast

look out for the overclocked 4.4~+ servers running 20 slots they're the reliable ones ;)

a lot of news of crashes however, so there may be something in the latest patch which has caused crashing of both server & client, but i'm guessing UWE will patch that pretty quick
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Identical issues, merge threads?

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122589" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=122589</a>