Fade

AlregardAlregard Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156903Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Tips for playing him please</div>Hello guys,

im playing this game since ~2months, however, i still really suck as a fade. Either im too fast and blinking/shadowstepping too far, or im too slow and get shotten. Are there some tricks for helping a noobfade like me or is it just like play a year more. Especially jetpackers. Since it is often the role of fades to get them, i feel kinda useless. Should i use shadowstep to cathc them in air or only blink? A video would be perfect.

Thanks for the help
Alregard

Comments

• VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A good fade does not die, and takes part in coordinated team attacks. Pretty much as all alien life-forms are, the fade is a complement to the rest. If you die as a fade, your team lost 50 resources and an opportunity to advance over the marines in the current game. Therefore, prioritize living as a fade above all else, even getting easy kills. A treat of the fade is that it is easy to get a kill-death ratio of >2, and that really helps the team. Even if you're just learning how to play fade, the best thing is not to die. After playing a couple of games you will become a lot better.

Yeah, blink is very useful when it comes to killing jetpacking marines. Use blink and aim for the marine, when you want to slash him, hold down the attack mouse button and release blink, repeat until he is dead.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Fades (with Blink) and Skulks (with Leap) can fight off jetpackers. But they are not as effective as Lerks, who are much more maneuverable in the air.

If you enjoy playing Fade, I would suggest capitalizing its incredible speed, by hiding behind cover (or structures) from jetpackers, until they land. Then pounce with Blink or Shadowstep. The double jump can sometimes catch a jetpack offguard.

Always time your swipes.

Hope that helps!
  • AlregardAlregard Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156903Members
    Thanks guys, i will try my best.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited October 2012
    Always have an escape plan. Know that the fade can die quickly to marines who can aim well so try to attack as quickly as possible and get out. Don't forget you can crouch and go in vents, and use blink while crouching.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also, try not to be predictable. Attack shotgun-wielding marines from the back and not go face-first - a point blank shot from a shotgun is painful!

Try to use an escape route that has a short corridor so you can get out of the marine's line of sight asap.

Leave yourself ample health to take some damage as you are running. Hit and run!

As for fighting exoskeletons, crouch and hit their feet while circling them (much as you would as a skulk). Exo skeletons are generally more lethal against lifeforms which are at eye/body level to the exosuit. Remember that the exosuit cannot crouch and therefore cannot punch anything on the ground. Use that to your advantage (applies to skulks as well)
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh man, I've totally forgotten double jump. :D

When dealing with jetpackers don't blink (or leap) to where they are, blink to where they will be in a second. And as a principle you should never swipe more than once or twice without moving (blink & step) in between.

And yeah, jetpackers will have to land at some point if only for a few seconds, you don't have to chase them in the air and spend all your energy.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I use shadowstep + doublejump for attacking and blink for escaping. The key to fade is knowing when to retreat, which is typically related to how much health you have left and the weapons/weapon level of the marines (i.e. you can stay longer for lmg+w0 than sg+w3). Don't be afraid to escape even if you've done no damage, since your number one goal is to stay alive.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    To add to Bob's post, also learn the maps and NEVER escape in predictable patterns (straight lines or straight for a door). If you learn the map you can learn about what cover to use to hide behind during your retreat :)
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2000043:date=Oct 29 2012, 09:53 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 29 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't be afraid to escape even if you've done no damage, since your number one goal is to stay alive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes! Even a total noob fade who just blinks in and out of the marine base without doing any damage will tie up a lot of marines. :)
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you jump right at the end of the shadow step, you keep your momentum and get a long jump. Practice.
    If you jump right before blink and don't hold blink key down for longer than a few moments, you get momentum and don't lose a lot of energy.

The main feature of the fade is really the ability to move quickly and unexpectedly around. The movement and using chained jumps, blinks and shadow steps in combos is really what allows the fade to be effective. Learn the movement first, the rest will follow.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Remember , the fade isnt a soldier or ment to be at the front line - its ment to be played as a "hit`n´run" assassin.