Heavy Marines + mini repair bots = OP

2»

Comments

• shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    Weren't the MACS altered a few patches ago so they can't repair for x seconds after being damaged?

And isn't bilebomb a DOT?
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2000815:date=Oct 30 2012, 03:53 PM:name=shader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shader @ Oct 30 2012, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Weren't the MACS altered a few patches ago so they can't repair for x seconds after being damaged?

And isn't bilebomb a DOT?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed. A few bile bombs deal damage to both Exo and nearby MACs, thus preventing MACs repairing. The Exo will survive for a while, but the MACs go down easily. Someone mentioned ARCs being unfair too, but they too are taken down by bile bomb pretty easily.

In competitive games, Exos have a tiny niche as end-game tiebreak gambits and ARCs have a tiny niche as "I don't know what else o try, lets get some ARCs to distract gorges for a while." In public games though the Exos and ARCs can of course be frustrating when newer players do not know how to counter them or do not have good enough teamwork to beat a marine team that is actually using teamwork.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    MACs are expensive when spammed

4 MACs is like the same as throwing away an upgrade for the whole team if you kill them

Bilebomb + Onos's small AoE primary attack will make short work of them

Optionally there is also Vortex, but it's highly unused
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2000822:date=Oct 30 2012, 05:59 AM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Oct 30 2012, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2000822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed. A few bile bombs deal damage to both Exo and nearby MACs, thus preventing MACs repairing. The Exo will survive for a while, but the MACs go down easily. Someone mentioned ARCs being unfair too, but they too are taken down by bile bomb pretty easily.

In competitive games, Exos have a tiny niche as end-game tiebreak gambits and ARCs have a tiny niche as "I don't know what else o try, lets get some ARCs to distract gorges for a while." In public games though the Exos and ARCs can of course be frustrating when newer players do not know how to counter them or do not have good enough teamwork to beat a marine team that is actually using teamwork.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice response, I never joined a competitive games which can be a whole other story since teamwork is much better. I am talking about a public point of you which you mention can be very frustrating since to counter this issue would only have to take a teamwork strategy which involves gorges, and the rest attacking. Sadly for public games this hardly ever happens. If we can also add another feature that for example alien comm's can also cause some type of short circuits on MACS for a temporary time that would help so much, so we don't have to depend on gorges when its a public game.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In my experience that's just not the case, at least now. There will be a lot of l2p issues such as this tonight, but in most of the pub games I've played, there's at least one player who's competent enough with the gorge... or I go gorge.

A 10-p.res gorge with a cheap upgrade (bile) and a few skulks being able to keep 75-p.res Exos + 5 t.res macs away (bile just DESTROYS macs) and even push them back if there are no humans welding is hardly a problem for me. The real OP problem is a good celerity onos/gorge combo stampeding across the map and destroying power nodes and phase gates, especially early in the game. There's no 10 p.res "solution" to that.
  • DavidhenDavidhen Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162225Members
    I would be interested in seeing how the balance changes with an addition of a new ranged attack for aliens...maybe acid rocket for fades. at the moment it just seems like marines have more flexibility in regards to weaponry (being able to pick up dropped weapons as well) and attack tactics. I only play pugs and at the moment it seems 2nd hive onos rush is the only real way to win apart from constant resource munching and slow expansion.

I have a sinking suspicion that new players are going to tire of aliens very quickly.
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The situation is going to be different come tomorrow, but for the past week with teams that know the game in-and-out, this has not been a problem. It only takes 3 AOE bilebomb hits to wipe out a MAC train, which will tend to clusterf*** around any damaged exo, allowing you to wipe out 20-30 res worth of MACs in 5 seconds.

JP marines are annoying, but you have lerks with spore, plus bilebomb eats away their armour, significantly reducing the bite necessity down to 3, or even 2.

And finally, 1 Onos rapes a dual exo-mini 1v1. In big team engagements, with both marines & kharaa @ 2 tech points and with 3-5 RTs each, it can stalemate quite easily, coming down to whether the gorges live or not to take out the MAC train.

I keep seeing posts in these forums that gorge has a limited role and is boring to play, but my experience so far is that the gorge is critical. Early game location lock down, structure and hive growth, mid-game bile & heal support and also ninja base destruction with adrenaline upgrade. Seeing some players go exclusively gorge the whole game really helps the kharaa out.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1989625:date=Oct 11 2012, 05:42 AM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Oct 11 2012, 05:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989625"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And 1 GL will make hit and runs impossible<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bile does splash, it doesnt have to be a direct hit. hit nearest wall
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1989637:date=Oct 11 2012, 06:10 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Oct 11 2012, 06:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your 10-man team is having only one gorge after 2 hives, then you are playing the game wrong and your team deserves to lose. Bile bomb, seriously, use it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    tbh it's more of a fade/lerk having low ass overall HP/armor and focus issue, and a GL being broken as ###### issue than it is an EXO/MAC being OP.