Score system

elpollo12elpollo12 Join Date: 2011-07-12 Member: 109909Members, Reinforced - Supporter
<div class="IPBDescription">i mean wtf?</div>When I first saw the ingame score system I thought this is maybe the worst score system I have every seen, it must be a placeholder for something better to come. Now the game will be released in 2 days and I dont think UWE will change it until then.

I think everybody agrees NS2 is not about K/D ratio. The ingame score board is not sorted by it. Its actually sorted by player score.
I think UWE implemented a scoring system to set incentives to certain player behavior. They give you 5 points for killing a skulk because killing a player is good for your team.

<b>But WTF: </b>
(1) you are chewing on an extrator as skulk for half a minute, another skulk comes by, gives the last bite and get all the points?
(2) As marine you are running over the whole map to save an extractor, eventually run back to base to buy a whelder. wheld that thing for a long time and get ... nothing?
(3) 5 marines shooting an onos, maybe 4 are dying and losing their equip, last marine standing gets the kill and 30 points?
(4) The Reason I dont like exos is that I like to play jetpack but as soon as exos are out, the best thing you can do for your team is getting a whelder and wheld them all the time. No points for that?

<b>
My point is:</b> I personally dont care for points but many new players will.

<b>2 Ways to solve this:</b>
(1) Take out the scoring system (I<b> would do this before release</b>)
(2) Change it completely. If UWE wants to give inventives to players by rewarding them with points they need to do it right.

<b>My Ideas:</b>
Skulk A does 90% damage to an extractor. Then he dies. later Skulk B does 10% and destroys it, Skulk A gets 9 points and Skulk B gets 1 point. If the marine who killes Skulk A and whelds the extractor 90% up to full health he gets 9 Points.
Points rewarded should scale with price of the building. The same for all life forms. Killing a full health shotgun Jetpacker should reward more points then killing a vanilla marine.

<b>One Problem remains:</b>
Why should anybody care for points?

Points are rewarded for actions which help your team. In my opinion the points you earn should help your team then. This could be implemented by special abilities/buffs the whole teams benefits from which can be bought by the commander with teampoints. Maybe something like giving full health to the whole team or electrifing an extractor...

Ideas, thoughts?

Comments

• Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is not by far the first thread about score. In previous threads there has been a consensus that the scoring system needs a lot of work. I think it has been mentioned in a Live Q&A and possibly elsewhere that UWE will eventually do something about the score system, when they have the time.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    scoring doesn't mean anything as it doesn't go to resources for you buy new gear or evolve it's just another number to ###### over just remove it
  • elpollo12elpollo12 Join Date: 2011-07-12 Member: 109909Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I am coming up with this now because they changed it a bit in 224. if you did damage to someone and somebody else kills him you get 2 points now.
    What i am saying is they should disable the scoring system for release. A system like that looks like early beta and not like NS2 1.0.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd rather have the score system in, but it needs reworking.

Also, I'd not just make it based on a percentage, but percentage + final action. Because honestly, even if you deal 99.9% damage, it's meaningless if that onos survives with 1hp. But anyway, it's very hard to grasp the meaning of an action. For example, a phase gate is worth 15 PTS (I think), but killing a pg can have little impact (let's say it's in area which you can't take anyway) or it's the one the marines are using to put pressure on your hive. Killing the latter would be way more important then the first one, but considering every possible combination for the points would be hard :P
  • elpollo12elpollo12 Join Date: 2011-07-12 Member: 109909Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, I'd not just make it based on a percentage, but percentage + final action. Because honestly, even if you deal 99.9% damage, it's meaningless if that onos survives with 1hp.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, in this case nobody gets any points because marines failed to kill anything and the Onos survived. Maybe give some points to the poor gorge (usually me) pressing right mouse button for a minute while running behind an onos ass.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example, a phase gate is worth 15 PTS (I think), but killing a pg can have little impact (let's say it's in area which you can't take anyway)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Impact is that marines need to pay 15 res for a new PG, at least one marine needs to walk there and build it, and alien team gets some teamscore.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They care but it's not priority atm, I'm sure it will be sorted eventually. 1.0 Is not the end of development, they still have a lot of changes planned.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    An easy implementation:

Get 1 Point for every 100 Health you have damaged / healed / welded / build.
    Than you can add details on top. Like a point for a parasite or 5 points for placing a hydra.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    As I mentionened in the RFK thread, a scoring system which grades players based on teamplay would greatly benefit NS2. It would grade each player with a score between 0 and 10 and alter his pres income based on that. It would also be a great tool for casters to pick out the MVPs of the teams.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    i wish they would remove k/d altogether.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2012
    They should give you a score based on the percentage of damage you did to the structure/player. Not who got the last shot/bite/whatever.
    I also feel like I get punished for being a Gorge when it comes to score.

The score system needs to be rethought or removed. I'd also like to see K:D removed, we're not playing TDM.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    There's was an assist-system a few days ago....but it got removed .. sadly.... :( .... imo NS2 needs an assist system.... dunno why it got removed.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1999787:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:13 PM:name=G1R)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (G1R @ Oct 29 2012, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's was an assist-system a few days ago....but it got removed .. sadly.... :( .... imo NS2 needs an assist system.... dunno why it got removed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a feature of the mod <a href="http://www.ns2stats.org" target="_blank">NS2Stats</a>. It adds "assists" to the scoreboard and gives score for them also.
    ns2 stats give points for assist g1r thats what your're on about
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999779:date=Oct 29 2012, 03:10 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 29 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i wish they would remove k/d altogether.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No!!

While K/D isn't the end all be all, and a player who has a terrible k/d may be the MVP, K/D is a useful resource, As a commander it's good to know who values their life, if your comm and about to drop an onos egg do you who do you want to get it? The guy 2/18. The guy 3/ 0. Or the guy 15/4...... My answer is 15/4 he will push kill and retreat but won't be afraid of going for the win.

Doesn't hurt to know if their is a rine 30/2. When your a fade....be careful he won't misss
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999739:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:21 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 29 2012, 05:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They care but it's not priority atm, I'm sure it will be sorted eventually. 1.0 Is not the end of development, they still have a lot of changes planned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Why in hell they ever implement the current Scoresystem? Thats just bad designing.

2. They had enough time to change that.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited October 2012
    The thing you are missing is that throwing away your life as a free unit has a different impact on your team's chance to win than dying as an onos. As for K/D its just one point.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1999809:date=Oct 29 2012, 02:47 PM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Oct 29 2012, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a commander it's good to know who values their life, if your comm and about to drop an onos egg do you who do you want to get it? The guy 2/18. The guy 3/ 0. Or the guy 15/4...... My answer is 15/4 he will push kill and retreat but won't be afraid of going for the win.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then only let the comm see it. Simple.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1999783:date=Oct 29 2012, 09:11 AM:name=azurescorch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azurescorch @ Oct 29 2012, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999783"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should give you a score based on the percentage of damage you did to the structure/player. Not who got the last shot/bite/whatever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->They do something like this in BF3. Players get points for damage (assisting in a kill) if an enemy gets killed. The player who lands the kill shot gets the full 100 points, the assisting player gets points for whatever percentage damage they did on the enemy. I like that idea a lot.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999779:date=Oct 30 2012, 12:40 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 30 2012, 12:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i wish they would remove k/d altogether.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah pretty much or at least make it show only your score and noone elses
    <!--quoteo(post=1999860:date=Oct 29 2012, 03:41 PM:name=Zefram)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zefram @ Oct 29 2012, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They do something like this in BF3. Players get points for damage (assisting in a kill) if an enemy gets killed. The player who lands the kill shot gets the full 100 points, the assisting player gets points for whatever percentage damage they did on the enemy. I like that idea a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By far not the first game to do assist points. Just saying. Also not sure why with each release they have to increase how many points one gets for landing a kill in these games.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999809:date=Oct 29 2012, 09:47 AM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Oct 29 2012, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No!!

While K/D isn't the end all be all, and a player who has a terrible k/d may be the MVP, K/D is a useful resource, As a commander it's good to know who values their life, if your comm and about to drop an onos egg do you who do you want to get it? The guy 2/18. The guy 3/ 0. Or the guy 15/4...... My answer is 15/4 he will push kill and retreat but won't be afraid of going for the win.

Doesn't hurt to know if their is a rine 30/2. When your a fade....be careful he won't misss<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the guy who is 3/0 may have just joined the game. but all of that is moot because you cant really tell from k/d anyway. that player could blow with onos as they play mostly fade.
    The current scoreboard is a information resource nothing more, you don't get abilities based on score or anything else, while not being ideal, any information is better then less. If they want to add a colum or 2 for structure destroy or structures built so you can get credit sure.

Second point sure gorge healing onos gets no points but no one on the team sees a gorge with a low score healing an onos and is not appreciative.

Any player with experence can hit tab and see who is doing what.... Ie skulk with high death-low kill-high score is killing RTs .... A gorge with no deaths 5 kills is camping/ protecting something, a player with low K/D and low score isn't doing anything but being cannon fodder...
    <!--quoteo(post=1999879:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:00 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 29 2012, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the guy who is 3/0 may have just joined the game. but all of that is moot because you cant really tell from k/d anyway. that player could blow with onos as they play mostly fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You misunderstand onos, Onos is not about "skill" it's about knowing when to run and someone who is 3/25 has not figured that out.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999891:date=Oct 29 2012, 11:12 AM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Oct 29 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You misunderstand onos, Onos is not about "skill" it's about knowing when to run and someone who is 3/25 has not figured that out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if onos doesnt involve skill, then why are onos so easy to kill if you dont not how to use it. its so slow and cumbersone and if you go into a room more than likely you will die.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999888:date=Oct 29 2012, 08:08 AM:name=maD maX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maD maX @ Oct 29 2012, 08:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current scoreboard is a information resource nothing more, you don't get abilities based on score or anything else, while not being ideal, any information is better then less. If they want to add a colum or 2 for structure destroy or structures built so you can get credit sure.

Second point sure gorge healing onos gets no points but no one on the team sees a gorge with a low score healing an onos and is not appreciative.

Any player with experence can hit tab and see who is doing what.... Ie skulk with high death-low kill-high score is killing RTs .... A gorge with no deaths 5 kills is camping/ protecting something, a player with low K/D and low score isn't doing anything but being cannon fodder...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You cant know this. Maybe that "low" player was just unlucky . Could happend with that crappy "last hit = points"-mechanic.

"The current scoreboard is a information resource nothing more" <--- thats true. Why its a problem to make that accurate?

Its fine if people dont care about a bad design. Its not ok if they start to defend bad designing and say "lalala anything is alright"
    <!--quoteo(post=1999896:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:26 PM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 29 2012, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if onos doesnt involve skill, then why are onos so easy to kill if you dont not how to use it. its so slow and cumbersone and if you go into a room more than likely you will die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You make my point for me. An onos is slow and cumbersome it dosnt matter how much skill you have rines won't be missing. Solution 1st dont run into a room full of rines without support. 2nd run out of room when your out gunned.
    Both these tactics are applicable to all aliens.... You shouldn't start a fight you can't win. People with positive k/d know this and choose their battle ground.
    <!--quoteo(post=1999896:date=Oct 30 2012, 02:56 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 30 2012, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if onos doesnt involve skill, then why are onos so easy to kill if you dont not how to use it. its so slow and cumbersone and if you go into a room more than likely you will die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lack of tool tip to tell them that shift charges them away ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1999902:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:32 PM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Oct 29 2012, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You cant know this. Maybe that "low" player was just unlucky . Could happend with that crappy "last hit = points"-mechanic.

Its fine if people dont care about a bad design. Its not ok if they are defending bad designing and say "lalala anything is alright"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First this is not a game of luck. Statistically if your killing RTs you will get credit some of the time you probably won't kill 5 RTs and have someone steal all the points. If your attacking a player and your "unlucky" enough of the time to have a bad kill death ratio, it's probably not luck.

Second I'm not defending the point system, I'm defending k/d if they want to give partial credit for helping kill an rt that's fine. Play all-in server they have an assist column for kills.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    And here we go again :D
    <a href="http://www.naturalselection.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121186" target="_blank">http://www.naturalselection.com/forums/ind...howtopic=121186</a>

And maD maX, it's seems to be really biased arguments there :/ it was discussed in the other thread anyway.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    Agreed, the scoring system is very poor and it does matter. It matters in pubs because it helps educate new players and if you do it well you can influence players to do what you want and play as a team even if they're not team players. When you get points they're pop up in the center of the screen, so it's clear they are meant be very important.

For example, with no assists throwing yourself on an objective or important player to wear it down or draw fire to let others move in and let someone else get the last hit isn't something a player that values his score more than the team is going to do other than by mistake. But if you encourage playing well then you will have more players doing so. You could go as far as giving more points for killing a power node in the marine base than in an empty room long away from any hive, which is really only a waste of time, for instance. What the scoring system currently does well is giving points for some "boring" tasks, but it isn't well executed since the score isn't shared, encouraging helping only if it's almost already finished. There may also be some value in not showing other players deaths for similar reasons, it could be replaced with minutes the player has been on a team since the start.

All of this will be much more important at launch once new players are joining and hopefully will continue to do so for a long time. If it can't be improved then it may even be better not to have it at all. Remember, it's not about whether <i>you</i> care about score or not, it's about your teammates.