A short appeal to all marine players

no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Please use your mic (again)!!

'Sick and tired of too many people not using it while there are way to often situations in wich a <i><b><u>short </u></b></i>voice message would have helped the entire team big time.
Do it like the most Alien teams (I rarely get a mute alien team): T.a.l.k

P.s: I Bet I have to re-push this thread 2,3 weeks after Ver 1.0 :(

Edit: Highlighted the word "short" to make sure people dont think its a voice-chat I am asking for.

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Ido not have a mic, are you sending me one ;?
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Too much voicecom can be very distracting all the same. People need to talk and type as is appropriate, not overusing one or the other.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I hate commanders with no mic.
    Don't command if you don't have a mic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate commanders with no mic.
    Don't command if you don't have a mic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I'm even fine with new players jumping in to learn how to com... as long as they talk. Communication is key for the com to keep the rest of us informed.
  • sad. Clownsad. Clown Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147407Members
    I wouldn't say it's the lack of communication, it's the lack of action. You can tell people all day that <i>x</i> needs to be done, but everyone thinks that someone else will do it. And it's a problem on both sides, not just marine.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    So I guess aliens can just stay mute, then?

Communication is always important in team-based games. Both Marine and Kharaa benefit from good coordination, but not everybody can or will use voice chat. You've got to work with what's available in the server; I don't know what this "appeal" is really supposed to accomplish.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999172:date=Oct 28 2012, 05:01 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Oct 28 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ido not have a mic, are you sending me one ;?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Labtec-Desktop-Microphone-600/dp/B000O7K4LO/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1351483652&sr=1-2&keywords=microphone" target="_blank">1-800-Don't be a cheapo</a>
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999194:date=Oct 29 2012, 12:13 AM:name=sad. Clown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sad. Clown @ Oct 29 2012, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999194"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't say it's the lack of communication, it's the lack of action. You can tell people all day that <i>x</i> needs to be done, but everyone thinks that someone else will do it. And it's a problem on both sides, not just marine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

MICROMANAGEMENT. This is the fault of the commander. Ask yourself, what would you rather have the commander say?

A) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit."
    B) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit. Can we have just one guy take care of it?"
    C) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit. sad.Clown, you are closest, move to Crevice."

In cases of A and B in a pub game, there's a diffusion of responsibility. You might have 4 marines accidentally go to Crevice and overdo the job. C is PERFECT, and what Commanders and Khammanders need to both start doing. Sure, you might not have the Marine you ordered follow the command, but that's when you realize who you should and shouldn't be giving orders to in a pub game.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    But, please use some discretion. Some of us are trying to track where those footsteps came from.
  • no_ideano_idea Join Date: 2005-02-15 Member: 41201Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1999172:date=Oct 29 2012, 02:01 AM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Oct 29 2012, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ido not have a mic, are you sending me one ;?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you would like to have really awesome Gameplay --> Get one for a few bucks.

<!--quoteo(post=1999186:date=Oct 29 2012, 02:08 AM:name=beyond.wudge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beyond.wudge @ Oct 29 2012, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too much voicecom can be very distracting all the same. People need to talk and type as is appropriate, not overusing one or the other.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Of course. I would never make a request to ######-chat on voice.

<!--quoteo(post=1999260:date=Oct 29 2012, 02:56 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 29 2012, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I guess aliens can just stay mute, then?
    [...]I don't know what this "appeal" is really supposed to accomplish.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Awesome Gameplay. But your first sentence is evidence enough that you did not read my post fully awake.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    YES, headset very much recommend for NS2!
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Every one should consider using a microphone for this game, it's very helpful. I'm getting pretty tired of joining games and finding I'm the only one with a mic.

<!--quoteo(post=1999479:date=Oct 29 2012, 05:52 AM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Oct 29 2012, 05:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit."
    B) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit. Can we have just one guy take care of it?"
    C) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit. sad.Clown, you are closest, move to Crevice."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You forgot one: "Waaah my team isn't doing exactly what I want waaaah, waah, waaah, team you're terrible, waaah. No why are you running away? I don't care that you're a exo/onos on 1% hp, waaaah, waaaaaah, team you are terrible".
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2012
    I was playing on KKG last night, all communication, healthy mix of voice, text, and ping (sorry no mic guy waiting in pilot for 5 minutes).

Played on a UK server afterwards... nothing. Not one voice. Not on text.

I was the chatty American, and the team remain silent. Still responded, still played decently, but not one verbal or text based affirmation of hearing an order.

It was odd.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1999479:date=Oct 28 2012, 11:52 PM:name=godrifle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (godrifle @ Oct 28 2012, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MICROMANAGEMENT. This is the fault of the commander. Ask yourself, what would you rather have the commander say?

A) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit."
    C) Comm- "Uh oh. Crevice is getting hit. sad.Clown, you are closest, move to Crevice."

In cases of A and B in a pub game, there's a diffusion of responsibility. You might have 4 marines accidentally go to Crevice and overdo the job. C is PERFECT, and what Commanders and Khammanders need to both start doing. Sure, you might not have the Marine you ordered follow the command, but that's when you realize who you should and shouldn't be giving orders to in a pub game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be honest, i'd rather A) (minus the Uh oh.). For two reasons:

1) I'd rather not waste the commander's time looking for the names of the players nearby Crevice just to give a specific order. All of the players on the field can hear there's something going on in Crevice - if they're near, they can go there themselves without being told. They also have minimaps to avoid two seperate people going to the same location. By being proactive, it saves the comms time by not having to babysit the team (maybe only a few seconds, but that few seconds might save a marines life if otherwise a pending medpack call was left neglected until it's too late). Of course, pubs are pubs I guess, but mostly even on pubs, people now how to play.

2) I personally like mic chatter to be kept at a minimum. Only the information that's required needs to be said over voice chat, nothing more. Only the bare essentials. That way there's less interference when keeping an ear out for skulks sneaking up on you.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1999681:date=Oct 29 2012, 01:07 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Oct 29 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was playing on KKG last night, all communication, healthy mix of voice, text, and ping (sorry no mic guy waiting in pilot for 5 minutes).

Played on a UK server afterwards... nothing. Not one voice. Not on text.

I was the chatty American, and the team remain silent. Still responded, still played decently, but not one verbal or text based affirmation of hearing an order.

It was odd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Having played on EU and US servers a lot - not just in this game - I must say this is pretty common. US players usually talk a lot more. Possibly because English is (usually) their first language vs Europe where native English speakers are just a fraction of the total population and people usually rather talk in their own language. Also, some may not speak english at all.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1999191:date=Oct 29 2012, 11:09 AM:name=Skyforger2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skyforger2 @ Oct 29 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1999191"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate commanders with no mic.
    Don't command if you don't have a mic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I command well without my mic turned on, so long as my team has eyes aswell as ears. if they are blind, however, theres a problem.
    Don't tell people to not command when you haven't got a mic, that's just rude and reflects on your inability to pay attention to chat or pings. :/