Hypermutation and Feint Deaths place in NS2

TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
Since they've been disabled, I hope that means both are being heavily reevaluated in how they should be implemented in game. Both ideas are interesting in theory, but both were plagued with problems.

I have what I consider to be a solution that allows them to stay, but lets hear everyones. Maybe everyone just hates them completely.

My idea is to give them to the commander.
<ul><li>Make Feint death into a commander ability that unlocks with the shade hive. For 10 res, aliens in an area selected will feint death if they die in the next 15 seconds. This will allow alien commanders to truly assist in charges against overwelming marine firepower - eg exo's.</li><li>Allow aliens to swap upgrades whenever they are near a hive (half of benefit from hypermutation).</li><li>Make Hypermutation a commander ability that unlocks with the shift hive. For 10 res, aliens in a small area (and only on infestation) for 20 seconds can get refunds for evolutions. Basically swapping tres for pres, and allowing the commander to encourage his team to respec.</li></ul>

I think both abilities will need long recharge timers to prevent spamming, or at least some mechanic that prevents feint death being used many times on same aliens. Also the crag hive, I suppose, needs a commander ability associated with it. However it would make alien comm more interesting.

Comments

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Implement focus first, way more important atm.

Also, aliens should be able to swap out upgrades at hives anyway, it's annoying that you are stuck at your upgrade choices as a player because you picked them at a time when no better ones were available. They won't be able to be abused this way, so there's really no reason why this shouldn't be possible.

Maybe hypermutation can become a passive upgrade to all aliens if researched by the commander for a t.res price?
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997899:date=Oct 26 2012, 06:25 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 26 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Implement focus first, way more important atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    I have always thought that aliens should be able to swap lifeforms near a hive without pently ,, but I made do with hyper and uses it all the time I personaly thought it was the best shift abilty and miss it very much ,, I think if they just make it that if you are downgrading lifeforms you should end up with the same % hp as you had on you other lifeform( this should not happen when upgrading lifeforms. as for FD just make it that it doesn't work on eggs that problem solved.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Yeah extra upgrades would be nice - Focus, Cog Armour and... Frenzy? I would like to get 1 extra per hive, but I cannot think of a shift upgrade that would be good.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited October 2012
    I think Feign Death as an AoE Kham ability would be great. It might work out really nicely if you made all the aliens feign until the timer was up on the ability. You cut down all the aliens, move in, and suddenly "SURPRISE!". If we're going towards chaining Kham abilities to trees, we could make Nutrient Mist a Crag Hive power. Not sure if Hypermutation as a cast ability would work out too well, though.

And good god, no Frenzy.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    I agree with the idea that the alien commander needs more "spells" (temporary abilities) that aren't attached to local structures, but I don't think either of those abilities fit very well as spells. Spells should be more directly relevant to a tactical fight and change the nature of the fight. That's why bone wall is great. And mist ain't.

I agree with the criticism people leveled at feign death about how no one looked forward to getting feign on either aliens or marines. However, I think shade hive needs a defensive upgrade to be relevant. Otherwise shift+crag will forever be fixed in the metagame. Right now, I think shade isn't worth getting just for silence because it will hamstring you later in the game with your higher lifeforms. Of course camo has always been a sub par ability because it duplicates the function of the shade building.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Their place is in the recycle bin.
  • VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997938:date=Oct 26 2012, 08:10 PM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Oct 26 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their place is in the recycle bin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--quoteo(post=1997899:date=Oct 26 2012, 07:25 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 26 2012, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Implement focus first, way more important atm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    |
    V Redemption was awesome.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hypermutation: Passive Infestation upgrade for Kahmm that makes all lifeforms gestate faster on infestation and able to swap upgrades on infestation (possibly 25% faster evolve, not near-instant like it is now)

Feint Death: I feel that redemption fits better into this game, especially if it only work on infestation.
    -----change redemption to instead have a chance to refund 50% of lifeform cost on death (only on infestation)

P.S. for those of you who dont know, redemption was a small chance to teleport back to the hive after reaching a certain level of hp
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997938:date=Oct 27 2012, 05:10 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Oct 27 2012, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their place is in the recycle bin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    qft

They're already in the right place.
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    edited October 2012
    I think one thing to remember is that not every ability need be competitive at this point. What do I mean?

Hypermutation and feign death can be very fun abilities. Sure, they might not be as good as some others but that doesn't mean they can't be fun. Not every match is played hyper-competitively and not every ability should be competitive.

Some game concepts are fun but not suited for hardcore clan play. This game shouldn't be only composed of features which are good for serious play. A lot of player's game time is spent messing around and I think the game should reflect that with fun features for players to try out.
    <!--quoteo(post=1997938:date=Oct 27 2012, 05:10 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ Oct 27 2012, 05:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997938"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their place is in the recycle bin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kinda extreme I think.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997957:date=Oct 26 2012, 09:38 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Oct 26 2012, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->|
    V Redemption was awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Randomly activating magical teleports are horrible gameplay mechanics.
    With Feint Death at least you have a small chance to kill the guy escaping.

Feint Death should be retooled to account for overkill damage and if that overkill exceeds a certain threshold, you just die.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hypermutation has always been kind of exploitative even without the HP thing.

I mean, onos about to die from 5 people chasing him, goes around the corner and hypermutates into a skulk in 1 second, 75 res refunded... Not the intended use for the ability.

And feign death is sorely missed. Camo and silence are pretty useless on lerks and fades which are already pretty silent, and camo is just kind of bad overall with the huge speed penalty...

I hope they fix the exploits with feign death and put it back.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    I know everyone would love focus, but I feakin hate that upgrade. It sort of remind me of the Fade's old secondary focus fire.

It works on a 'balancing' level, but it is so boring. We have bone walls, we have ink clouds and the best that we can think of is an attack that is twice as long but double in power?

There has to be a better way to scale aliens so we can have some cool alternative upgrades.

Speaking of Fade, Vortex is so underused.
  • napalm_9napalm_9 Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157768Members
    I also agree aliens should be able to swap upgrades at a hive, so long as none of the upgrades were exploitable (ie hypermutation) I think this would give the alien team a little more adaptability, heck you could even hotkey upgrade changes!

Also +1 for feint death as Khamm ability

I quite enjoy hypermutation, even more so if it is researched early by the Khamm, a possible fix could be to just keep the proportion of health a life form has in relation to its total health, so a 50% Onos would mutate into a 50% health gorge ??
    <!--quoteo(post=1998020:date=Oct 27 2012, 07:27 AM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Oct 27 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Randomly activating magical teleports are horrible gameplay mechanics.
    With Feint Death at least you have a small chance to kill the guy escaping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty high chance I've found. One of those 'if they know what to do then it only helps at the margins' sort of thing. Still, in pubs those margins can be pretty huge. :)

<!--quoteo(post=1998032:date=Oct 27 2012, 07:53 AM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Oct 27 2012, 07:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hypermutation has always been kind of exploitative even without the HP thing.

I mean, onos about to die from 5 people chasing him, goes around the corner and hypermutates into a skulk in 1 second, 75 res refunded... Not the intended use for the ability.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I don't mind this. For Hypermutation you give up celerity or adrenaline which makes a world of difference to how dangerous a lifeform is.
    As a general observation re:Hypermutation giving you your res back, doesn't that actually work as a _better_ version of Redemption or Feign Death?

I mean, you get your res back in a way that makes sense (evolving back into a low lifeform) rather than involving magical "I become invisible" or "I teleport to a hive" mechanics.

Sure, it's unintended but doesn't it strangely enough work? And it's skill based too rather than an automatic thing. Overall, it might be a better mechanic.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Happy to see both gone, hope they will be replaced with something less gimmicky in the future.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Yes. Good riddance.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    I honestly think Hypermutation is too complicated a concept for an upgrade. It's just not obvious why it's useful and relies too much on trivia: did you know you get your res back when you de-evolve? Did you know you can get healed by shifting down and back? Did you know you can go gorge, bile bomb, go skulk, bite a few times, go gorge, bile again, etc? It's just too weird.

And Feign Death is just too annoying for the marines if it's actually effective IMO. I would rather have Redemption, but with a cooldown rather than a chance to happen.
    <!--quoteo(post=1998078:date=Oct 26 2012, 04:34 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Oct 26 2012, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I honestly think Hypermutation is too complicated a concept for an upgrade. It's just not obvious why it's useful and relies too much on trivia: did you know you get your res back when you de-evolve? Did you know you can get healed by shifting down and back? Did you know you can go gorge, bile bomb, go skulk, bite a few times, go gorge, bile again, etc? It's just too weird.

And Feign Death is just too annoying for the marines if it's actually effective IMO. I would rather have Redemption, but with a cooldown rather than a chance to happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People moan about wanting redeption and focus, but I remember two things vividly in NS1:
    <ul><li>Everyone raging about redemption onoses always escaping death.</li><li>Everyone raging about focus, silent lerks headbiting you for instant kill.</li></ul>

If focus was introduced, it should be shade hive just so no silence-focus combo. That was just frustrating.

Also I agree if redemption was reintroduced, it should be a cooldown. A very long one. And possibly the mechanic 'Once you hit 10% health, you redeem in 5 seconds', so that spike damage will always kill you.

The good thing about redemption was that the enemy was removed from combat, and no longer a threat. Feint death I've managed to turn around and kill people using.
    Tim I think its a lot of people just complaining that it isn't NS1 exactly as is.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1998095:date=Oct 26 2012, 03:07 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Oct 26 2012, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People moan about wanting redeption and focus, but I remember two things vividly in NS1:
    <ul><li>Everyone raging about redemption onoses always escaping death.</li><li>Everyone raging about focus, silent lerks headbiting you for instant kill.</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that's why you make a game based on concepts of balance, not on community whine. everyone will whine about something, the important thing is to separate who is whining about legitimate problems, and who is whining just because they got killed too many times. I wouldn't be against trying focus in the future (definitely not so soon before release obviously). I can't speak for the reasons behind removing it initially, but I think it could work in NS2 due to armories being able to weld armor.

the word whine looks funny now
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998095:date=Oct 27 2012, 02:07 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Oct 27 2012, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People moan about wanting redeption and focus, but I remember two things vividly in NS1:
    <ul><li>Everyone raging about redemption onoses always escaping death.</li><li>Everyone raging about focus, silent lerks headbiting you for instant kill.</li></ul>

If focus was introduced, it should be shade hive just so no silence-focus combo. That was just frustrating.

Also I agree if redemption was reintroduced, it should be a cooldown. A very long one. And possibly the mechanic 'Once you hit 10% health, you redeem in 5 seconds', so that spike damage will always kill you.

The good thing about redemption was that the enemy was removed from combat, and no longer a threat. Feint death I've managed to turn around and kill people using.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be ok with this type of implementation of redemption, just add a Fade-like teleport effect for a visual cue.
    Focus on Shade should be logical, Focus in NS1 was on Sensory Chamber as well, it was Silence that seemed misplaced on Movement.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1998107:date=Oct 26 2012, 05:20 PM:name=Princess_of_Power)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Princess_of_Power @ Oct 26 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's why you make a game based on concepts of balance, not on community whine. everyone will whine about something, the important thing is to separate who is whining about legitimate problems, and who is whining just because they got killed too many times. I wouldn't be against trying focus in the future (definitely not so soon before release obviously). I can't speak for the reasons behind removing it initially, but I think it could work in NS2 due to armories being able to weld armor.

the word whine looks funny now<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You say balance, and it was, but ultimately this is a FPS and needs to allow players on the ground to enjoy themselves.

Dying instantly to an enemy you never knew was there = not fun, I cannot counter that.
    Dying instantly to an enemy that made alot of noise = fun, I heard him and got a rush before dying. He outwitted me to get close.
    Dying to a few bites from a silent enemy = fun, I am surprised but have a few moments to resist and possibly kill him.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    I'm not sure how successful the call for Focus would be, considering it seems Charlie has said several times that he doesn't really like focus.

But I want to provide what could be an unintended consequence..
    Currently, early-game skulks require 1 parasite + 2 full bites to kill an a0 marine.
    With focus doubling that damage, (I assume it doesn't affect parasite though) it'd be one parasite and one bite.
    On its own it doesn't sound so bad, because skulks are supposed to ambush.

However, this upgrade being tied to a Shade hive, means that the khamm can (in lieu of a quick hive drop) place a bunch of shades across the map, or in heavily trafficked areas, such as around double on Veil. In this case, these skulks will now be invisible, and the marine will have no chance of retaliating. It would be extremely frustrating to try to play against this sort of ambush, as the only way around it is to have the commander spend res continuously scanning. In early game, that is very precious resources, and I think unfairly punishes the marines just to stay alive to get some nodes. As it is, I don't see many commanders scanning when aliens go shade first.

In NS1, this didn't seem like as much of a problem due to the fact that it required Gorges to place the SC's around the map, and considering a bunch of people would immediately Gorge for RT's, and one person would be saving for a hive, there wouldn't be very many people who would go Gorge just to drop an SC around the map to exploit this in the very early game.

I guess I'm not really for or against Focus, but thought I'd chime in with this scenario and see what people think.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1998128:date=Oct 26 2012, 06:43 PM:name=DarkScythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkScythe @ Oct 26 2012, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure how successful the call for Focus would be, considering it seems Charlie has said several times that he doesn't really like focus.

But I want to provide what could be an unintended consequence..
    Currently, early-game skulks require 1 parasite + 2 full bites to kill an a0 marine.
    With focus doubling that damage, (I assume it doesn't affect parasite though) it'd be one parasite and one bite.
    On its own it doesn't sound so bad, because skulks are supposed to ambush.

However, this upgrade being tied to a Shade hive, means that the khamm can (in lieu of a quick hive drop) place a bunch of shades across the map, or in heavily trafficked areas, such as around double on Veil. In this case, these skulks will now be invisible, and the marine will have no chance of retaliating. It would be extremely frustrating to try to play against this sort of ambush, as the only way around it is to have the commander spend res continuously scanning. In early game, that is very precious resources, and I think unfairly punishes the marines just to stay alive to get some nodes. As it is, I don't see many commanders scanning when aliens go shade first.

In NS1, this didn't seem like as much of a problem due to the fact that it required Gorges to place the SC's around the map, and considering a bunch of people would immediately Gorge for RT's, and one person would be saving for a hive, there wouldn't be very many people who would go Gorge just to drop an SC around the map to exploit this in the very early game.

I guess I'm not really for or against Focus, but thought I'd chime in with this scenario and see what people think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well the obvious answer is that if alien team has researched focus, expanded over the map, and dropped shades everywhere, you should have Armor 1 by then. That's like complaining how hard it is to kill an Onos with W0.
  • DarkScytheDarkScythe Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156876Members
    edited October 2012
    True, armor 1 can be researched fairly rapidly, but it seems current strategy isn't focused around that.
    I seem to recall NS1 used to revolve around fast upgrades, or at least I remember every comm rushing armor 1.

Fairly unscientific, but out of curiosity, I just timed the process, testing on the map Veil. (In the process, I also discovered a funny placement glitch for aliens.)
    Assuming you absolutely rush armor 1 at the expense of everything else, you can get a1 in around 2:20.
    Hop in chair > Armory > Arms Lab > A1. Downside is a delay in capping RT's.
    On the other hand, if you want to cap at least 2 nodes in the beginning, that seems to set you back to roughly the 3:10 mark or so, plus or minus a few seconds. I was doing this solo, so there was some time wasted running to West/Topo and back to build the RT + Power.
    Hop in chair > Armory > RT > RT > Arms Lab > A1. Downside is delay in PG's.
    In both, I forgot to account for an Obs for early scan.. whoops.

Switching over to aliens, I decided to try and see how quickly one could manage to get a shade plus an upgrade (I used silence as the stand-in for focus.)
    Since there aren't too many building pre-reqs for this, I was able to accomplish it faster, resulting in the first Shade up in about 1:40, and Silence up at roughly the same time, just before the 2 minute mark.
    Hop in Hive > Evolve Shade Hive > Cyst to East Junction > Cap C12 along the way > Drop Veil > Drop Shade > Upgrade Silence Veil. Downside is it's fairly resource intensive, and will delay second hive, and to do this sort of rush means you only have one well-placed Shade in the first 2 minutes.

I'm not sure why I bothered to test this, but I was curious. Haha.
  • pyrepyre Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3864Members
    Focus could be neat if it allowed you to charge up an attack by holding the button for bonus damage. Hold it the full length (2 secs?) and you get an some sfx indicating you're at "full focus" and when you release, your bite does 100% extra damage. Release it early and your bite does bonus damage relative to what % of 2 seconds you held it (i.e. 1 second is a bonus 50% damage).

Kinda fits the name focus as well -- you'd have to really place your bites as opposed to just holding down the button.