If the rumours are true...

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">...I am going to DI</div>Geddit? Ahem.

Though seriously, Max has been talking about it, Charlie has been teasing us about it and Hugh has been trying to cover it up.

Is there going to be a patch today with it?

My personal thoughts are that it will really bring the alien side to life if it is anything close to what the original video was like. The Infestation place holder has no depth to it, I think a 3D mesh is going to really going to add that 'wow' factor to the game.

But can we walk on it? Or is it only going to be visual? How far can you take something like this in a multiplayer game (code wise)?

Looking forward to your comments devs, please feel free to tease some more.

Comments

• Highlander92Highlander92 Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162257Members
    you're right they do keep mentioning it. lol. Charlie actually mentioned it in the gamespot video yesterday that they did. Though it was a rather brief comment.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm sure if anything it will be a reveal, very much doubt they'd patch it in today, even if they did in fact have DI ready.
    I also fear the performance impact this may potentially have, shipping it on release day doesn't seem like the safest bet.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/336862142" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/336862142</a>

1:20:30

<i>
    Charlie: ...and Speaking of infestation

Hugh: Speaking, should I spread some?

Charlie: Erm, we are releasing

Hugh: Actually, there is something coming

Charlie: We are releasing something, probably tomorrow, we are releasing something 'ammmmaazzzzing'

Hugh: Somethings, dont, dont!

Charlie: Something infestation related

Hugh: Haha, something infestation related</i>
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    charlie = marketing manager's nightmare :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    The surprise: Infestation gets removed, because of performance problems.

Nah! just kidding. I would miss it. But I don't believe it will be like in the video. That can't be handled by the network. Maybe if it grows automatic from cysts with a fix algorithm, so you can calculate it client-side. But completely dynamic spread by a player? I don't believe this is technically possible. Nor game play wise a good idea.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Wouldn't it be kind of a gamble this close to release?
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997860:date=Oct 26 2012, 06:05 PM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ Oct 26 2012, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't it be kind of a gamble this close to release?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably not.

They just rewrote the entirety of the net code essentially and they are doing quite well
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    So this could be coming - today?!
  • Bloodshot12Bloodshot12 Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152578Members
    edited October 2012
    It seems like you guys are assuming they are going to release DI without any prior testing on servers in any form, which I seriously doubt they would do if they are that confident and excited about patching DI in.

About DI itself, I hope it can have different "intensities" - I liked the texture-based infestation in NS1 because it appeared to be spreading over and through the installations, while in it's current form in NS2 it <i>feels</i> like a texture overlay with some pulsing 3D geometry.

I would love to see some sort of system where early on it just creeps out slowly with tendrils and weird things, but enough that you can see the mechanical elements - but as the game progresses (and as more cysts are dropped) it starts to completely overtake areas until it is unrecognizable.

That would be ###### amazing.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1997868:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:16 AM:name=Bloodshot12)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodshot12 @ Oct 26 2012, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems like you guys are assuming they are going to release DI without any prior testing on servers in any form, which I seriously doubt they would do if they are that confident and excited about patching DI in.

About DI itself, I hope it can have different "intensities" - I liked the texture-based infestation in NS1 because it appeared to be spreading over and through the installations, while in it's current form in NS2 it <i>feels</i> like a texture overlay with some pulsing 3D geometry.

I would love to see some sort of system where early on it just creeps out slowly with tendrils and weird things, but enough that you can see the mechanical elements - but as the game progresses (and as more cysts are dropped) it starts to completely overtake areas until it is unrecognizable.

That would be ###### amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are internal playtests. Like the ones testing refinery.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my point. It seems like people think that they are just throwing this feature in there without prior testing and that it's gonna break the game.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited October 2012
    Even if a patch did break something, I'd think previous builds are archived so they could be easily reverted in emergencies.

I just had a feeling since many many weeks ago we might get closer to the infestation we originally saw. I didn't expect it close to release, though, if all this here-say is true. Once again, if true, I'm glad they are looking into it and not giving up on the original vision.
    The first video I saw of NS2 in general that got me excited about it, was of Dynamic Infestation - and I've been waiting for it ever since I got it way back when beta started. If there's anything I'm a sucker for in games, it's atmosphere, and anything dynamic.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    As a former NS1 player, the addition of DI in NS2 had me very excited! As one of the earliest released features of NS2, I've been waiting for the true DI ever since that video got released. Ah can't wait.
    So...where is it? They said whatever "it" is would be coming today, but...nothing so far.
  • Tool8Tool8 Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139405Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997923:date=Oct 26 2012, 10:49 AM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Oct 26 2012, 10:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a former NS1 player, the addition of DI in NS2 had me very excited! As one of the earliest released features of NS2, I've been waiting for the true DI ever since that video got released. Ah can't wait.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I couldn't agree more, this is exactly how I felt and feel about it.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    As far as I heard, this is not going to be "THE DI" ppl might hope to see(e.g. the youtube video from years and years ago)...

And it will come at the cost of performance.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1998112:date=Oct 27 2012, 01:23 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Oct 27 2012, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1998112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As far as I heard, this is not going to be "THE DI" ppl might hope to see(e.g. the youtube video from years and years ago)...

And it will come at the cost of performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where did you hear this Koruyo?
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    already have a thread on this, link if your interested
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122173" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=122173</a>
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1997854:date=Oct 26 2012, 11:50 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Oct 26 2012, 11:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The surprise: Infestation gets removed, because of performance problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I laughed.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Yeah Hugh pretty much gave it away in the last Q&A. Of course, only those of us who have seen the old DI video would be able to guess what all the excitement would be about. But I was reluctant to post about it because UNLIKE HUGH i didn't want to spoil the surprise haha

Hugh is terrible at secrets.