dynamic infestation is coming very soon (I think)

Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Stop teasing UWE about infestation, I'm sure its coming soon and there is a lot of evidence pointing towards it. For example:
<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/336620708" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/336620708</a>
skip to the 24 minute mark and watch how Hugh asks about infestation and says
"What can we say to that question without revealing too much?" under his breath.

Also, Steve is working on something "super secret" and is seen playing ns2 as an onos looking at what seems to be Dynamic Infestation...

Screenshot found here <a href="http://imgur.com/a9vBO" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a9vBO</a>

This can be also seen at 37:17 just as the camera stutters

Comments

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    dude... idk what to say to u... the first video of DI was in source... so far there hasnt been much. maybe in the future or a mod.... nothing like the DI in source at release.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    i know it was first shown in source whats your point? did you even look at what i posted? why would huze say something about infestation and tell cory under his breath
    "What can we say to that question without revealing too much?" -about infestation
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Who care about infestation lol...

I wish they removed it, NS2 classic mod has shown how much performance gains you get without infestation / cyst chains
    why would we be told that the patch would be released today and then wasn't w.o a dev commenting?
    <!--quoteo(post=1996572:date=Oct 25 2012, 12:11 AM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 25 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996572"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why would we be told that the patch would be released today and then wasn't w.o a dev commenting?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    what do you mean? im confused
  • sushia11sushia11 Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162112Members
    Even now, infestation is known to take a lot of power to run. Making it dynamic is really scary. A few updates down the line it might be okay, but look how long it took to get the stuff we have now optimized.

And how much would dynamic infestation really add to the gameplay? The infestation we have has a pretty accurate collision space (or whatever it's called), so that the moment it shifts off a res node it can be capped by the marines.
    in the Q&A we were told it would be released on Wednesday (the 24th of October). It wasn't. Multiple PTers said the same. They were wrong. Either tell the community that it wont happen, maybe happen, or will happen, on the day u originally said it'd happen. otherwise, 1.0 will make a lot of ppl mad. i know some of the performance fixes. but if u can't communicate properly with ur base u r lost.....
    <!--quoteo(post=1996577:date=Oct 25 2012, 12:18 AM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 25 2012, 12:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in the Q&A we were told it would be released on Wednesday (the 24th of October). It wasn't. Multiple PTers said the same. They were wrong. Either tell the community that it wont happen, maybe happen, or will happen, on the day u originally said it'd happen. otherwise, 1.0 will make a lot of ppl mad. i know some of the performance fixes. but if u can't communicate properly with ur base u r lost.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I understand what you mean now, it's pretty frustrating but Cory said it's planned for tomorrow, to me that's not a definite answer, if PTERS said it was suppose to be today we'll take your frustration out on them not on the devs, I have yet to come across someone saying it WILL be out on X date for sure
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1996577:date=Oct 24 2012, 09:18 PM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 24 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in the Q&A we were told it would be released on Wednesday (the 24th of October). It wasn't. Multiple PTers said the same. They were wrong. Either tell the community that it wont happen, maybe happen, or will happen, on the day u originally said it'd happen. otherwise, 1.0 will make a lot of ppl mad. i know some of the performance fixes. but if u can't communicate properly with ur base u r lost.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And this is why release dates are never given usually. The team hoped it would be out today. Sadly, it is not. Everyone worked late into the night so there was still a chance all day.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    (BTW it totally did get out today so hooray.)
    so much for complaining too soon sampson
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1996577:date=Oct 25 2012, 01:18 PM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 25 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in the Q&A we were told it would be released on Wednesday (the 24th of October). It wasn't. Multiple PTers said the same. They were wrong. Either tell the community that it wont happen, maybe happen, or will happen, on the day u originally said it'd happen. otherwise, 1.0 will make a lot of ppl mad. i know some of the performance fixes. but if u can't communicate properly with ur base u r lost.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Entitlement!
  • shadershader Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13247Members
    Back on topic, what Steve described he was working on is sometimes used for image filtering. I guess it could possibly be used somehow in generating random geometry for some kind of improved dynamic infestation.

By the way, the game already has dynamic infestation. It just doesn't have dynamic geometry like that ancient video. Generating dynamic geometry that conforms with the level geometry is probably a fair bit of CPU work, so I'm in no hurry to see it added. Unless they've thought up some clever algorithm.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996570:date=Oct 25 2012, 07:10 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Oct 25 2012, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996570"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who care about infestation lol...

I wish they removed it, NS2 classic mod has shown how much performance gains you get without infestation / cyst chains<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you at least keep your NS2c bile in the appropriate thread? Thanks. Or do we really need people in <i>every single thread</i> complaining about how NS2 is just sooo horrible and literally the worst thing ever? It's getting old.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1996676:date=Oct 25 2012, 04:19 PM:name=snaga)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snaga @ Oct 25 2012, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you at least keep your NS2c bile in the appropriate thread? Thanks. Or do we really need people in <i>every single thread</i> complaining about how NS2 is just sooo horrible and literally the worst thing ever? It's getting old.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sup fanboy.

The game struggling to run on old machines = less people buying/playing the game

Having some stupid fancy infestation that you don't even notice after playing more than 5 rounds in the game, massively impacts performance and has no real effect on gameplay.

I know what I prefer...

FYI, i actually think NS2 is a great game.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1996688:date=Oct 25 2012, 08:40 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Oct 25 2012, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having some stupid fancy infestation that you don't even notice after playing more than 5 rounds in the game, massively impacts performance and has no real effect on gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not that I agree with what has come before this post or what comes after, but I think infestation is one of the most visually appealing parts of NS2.
  • A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996688:date=Oct 25 2012, 09:40 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Oct 25 2012, 09:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sup fanboy.

The game struggling to run on old machines = less people buying/playing the game

Having some stupid fancy infestation that you don't even notice after playing more than 5 rounds in the game, massively impacts performance and has no real effect on gameplay.

I know what I prefer...

FYI, i actually think NS2 is a great game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I am a fan of this game. Nice of you to notice.

If you can't grasp the gameplay effects of infestation then I don't know what to tell you. Not to mention it pretty much defines the visual look of the game.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have followed every Q&A and every tourney and every piece of information that comes out of UWE, you would have heard that Max has been working on this and they said they hope to sneak it in for 1.0

If they do manage it, I think it will really change the visual appearance of the game and make it look even closer to the AAA game it deserves to be.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996577:date=Oct 25 2012, 06:18 AM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 25 2012, 06:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in the Q&A we were told it would be released on Wednesday (the 24th of October). It wasn't. Multiple PTers said the same. They were wrong. Either tell the community that it wont happen, maybe happen, or will happen, on the day u originally said it'd happen. otherwise, 1.0 will make a lot of ppl mad. i know some of the performance fixes. but if u can't communicate properly with ur base u r lost.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah thanks Sampson. People like you are the cause, most devs don't talk to their player base. Because people like you are taking every info as a promise. If you can't handle information (Plans can be changed, you know?) don't read them. Easy as this.

@topic: I would love if infestation would have its own bumpmap, that covers the one that it lays on. Infestation that shines in the light like the metal plate it covers just destroys the immersion. 3d props that alter the map-mesh aren't nearly this imersive. Also, they should be generated client side only.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1996567:date=Oct 25 2012, 06:04 AM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 25 2012, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dude... idk what to say to u... the first video of DI was in source... so far there hasnt been much. maybe in the future or a mod.... nothing like the DI in source at release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's not quite true. That video was in a very early version of Spark. It's BSP based map geometry though.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <b>Please keep it civil guys, or it will quicky turn into a flamewar, and we dont want that.</b>
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I get that some like the NS2classic mod, and thats all well and good but surely there is no need to harp on about how it is in nearly every infestation discussion... lets be honest , that mod merely turns NS2 into NS1HD which is not a bad thing but this is NS2 that being discussed here.
    Think about how much doubt and issues Flayra would of got bombarded with had he told players of his idea for NS 1, there would of been those that would of told him to ditch the aliens make it Marine vs Space Pirate (or something) , lose that silly commander thing and let the Marines/ Pirates buy weapons with bounties earned from kills and blowing up the ships reactor cores with bombs.
    Yesss, in short CS in space because that was the only idea that worked in the modding scene at the time... NS 1 was quiet the departure from traditional ideas, and there was a lot of doubt wether such a radical departure would work... and (eventually) we got NS 1.

Shall we give NS 2 a chance, before we toss it away and mod it to older standards ?

I hope there will be a pure option where only unmodded servers will show up so I can play NS 2 as visioned by the devs.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996567:date=Oct 25 2012, 06:04 AM:name=Sampson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sampson @ Oct 25 2012, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dude... idk what to say to u... the first video of DI was in source... so far there hasnt been much. maybe in the future or a mod.... nothing like the DI in source at release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I talked to max about this. The first video of DI was not actually in source. It was in his level loader for .bsp files which was actually hooked up to spark rendering.

No joke.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    I'd rather have infestation as it is right now, making it 100% geometry will make it look way too busy as well as drop performance.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Recorded only a few hours ago - <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/336862142" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/336862142</a>

29 mins in, Charlie says they're redoing DI right now, Hugh tries to shush him, Charlie says it's tomorrow, they're going to find out.

Did he mean were going to find out they're redoing DI which we all knew anyways, or is something going to be revealed? And did I miss it? :(
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    ^ listen around 1:20
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1997440:date=Oct 26 2012, 01:43 AM:name=echs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (echs @ Oct 26 2012, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997440"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Recorded only a few hours ago - <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/336862142" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/336862142</a>

29 mins in, Charlie says they're redoing DI right now, Hugh tries to shush him, Charlie says it's tomorrow, they're going to find out.

Did he mean were going to find out they're redoing DI which we all knew anyways, or is something going to be revealed? And did I miss it? :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just listened to this. Apparently we are gonna see so me new stuff on DI tomorrow?
    <!--quoteo(post=1996888:date=Oct 25 2012, 04:03 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Oct 25 2012, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope there will be a pure option where only unmodded servers will show up so I can play NS 2 as visioned by the devs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ugh, late NS1 was nearly ruined with all the siege maps and gimmick maps and unlimited Combat upgrades and friggin Warcraft 3 mods and MULTIKILL sound samples from UT. It got really hard to find a decent server running actual vanilla maps with vanilla settings. I mean sure those things were fun once in a while (except the UT samples, barf) but most of the time I just wanted to play the actual game.

Luckily that functionality is already in the server browser. :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1996688:date=Oct 25 2012, 02:40 AM:name=male_fatalities)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (male_fatalities @ Oct 25 2012, 02:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sup fanboy.

I know what I prefer...

FYI, i actually think NS2 is a great game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    if you prefer having no infestation with better performance, props to you!

just do us all a favor, don't post in threads saying the things you say, such as

"who cares about dynamic infestation"

alot of people care, including the devs
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1997455:date=Oct 26 2012, 01:11 AM:name=extollo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (extollo @ Oct 26 2012, 01:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1997455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^ listen around 1:20<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Woo, just finished watching it, can't wait to see what's going to be revealed. :D