Natural Selection News Update - Beta Build 224 released!

Comments

• NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Got to try this! If anyone is awake and playing (morning here)? :)
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    The light over the tech point in Generator on Docking really needs to be removed for comms. It makes it impossible to see anything in the room. <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104558365" target="_blank">See pic</a>. Also, someone goofed on the selection icon for the comm popup buttons on the world... every time you hover over one, you get an obs over it :-D
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Massive changes, this is great, can't wait to play it.

Thanks to all the hard work testing by the play testers, it may sound like a jolly, but I know it's hard work.

BTW I know they say it is good programming practice to leave your optimizations to the end, but you guys take it to the next level lol.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Looking forward to try this build!

shameless server plug: "zaggynl's test server" @ 141.138.149.66
  • jihemjihem Join Date: 2011-01-11 Member: 77081Members
    Nearly 50% increase in FPS for me (running around alone in an empty server). Impressive, can't wait to play tonight!
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Sounds great. Cannot wait to play it after work.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited October 2012
    Interesting update, and a LOT of fixes =)
    Can't wait to test it tonight!

Is the evil Wall in Mineshaft fixed?

But one thing is very disturbing...
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disabled Hyper-mutation and Feign Death<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't care Hyper-mutation but feign death...really?
    I mean seriously, it wasn't hard to kill a feign death alien, it was very simple.
    Hard to say, but i like that sentrys are back and one Pack each room sounds fair.
    Now Hydra packs for gorgies? :P

E:"Lot...not loot..." + Mineshaft
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Awesome patch guys. Thanks for delivering it so late, you guys rock.
  • PolakPolak Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159305Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Checked two servers and it was unplayable error spam in console , cant build as comm and got like a litte lags that push you back when you move :< i like the change with obrsevatory :)
  • Taz-Taz- Australia Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23597Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I'm going to assume it was a time constraint thing and it will be fixed up, but please don't hard-bind x to the menu. I use x for crouching.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Great work. I'm so excited and can't wait to test the new build. :D

<!--quoteo(post=1996667:date=Oct 25 2012, 08:07 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 25 2012, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are 3 damage cones. So, for the skulk, for example, the full damage (75) is the same width that the entire bite cone width was in 223 (.5 width). Then, at (1) the damage is 50, then at 1.5 the damage is 25. So, the overall bite cone width has been increased, from 223, with full damage being no different then 223, but just with the extra lesser damage for a bite that would have been a complete miss in the last patch. So, this is a buff, not a nerf.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like this change. But you should add different sounds for the different damages. Or there will be much WTF by players that bite a marine 5 or 6 times and he didn't die.
    Maybe it's enough to tone the hit-sound down when less damage was caused. Some feedback would be really good.

Oh. And I'm looking forward to the sentry changes. I hope it is not possible to build a self-defending isle of 3 sentries that have no blind spot.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1996713:date=Oct 25 2012, 01:30 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Oct 25 2012, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh. And I'm looking forward to the sentry changes. I hope it is not possible to build a self-defending isle of 3 sentries that have no blind spot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is possible, although an undefended Sentry triangle formation is actually vulnerable to Gorges, both with and without Bile Bomb (just creep up and put a Clog in front, Sentries won't target what they can't see!)
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow. My fps is now 100 out of combat and 70 in combat. U guys did amazing things.

Did cause my video card driver to crash once (in an epic 1:15 hour game) but I'm going to attest that to the awesomeness.

Thanks u guys. Just wow.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996714:date=Oct 25 2012, 10:36 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Oct 25 2012, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996714"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is possible, although an undefended Sentry triangle formation is actually vulnerable to Gorges, both with and without Bile Bomb (just creep up and put a Clog in front, Sentries won't target what they can't see!)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thx for the info. I think it will hit the gameplay if skulks can practically be locked out of rooms by the marine com. Even if a gorge can creep up on them. I don't think it is fast enough to get them down before a marine arrives. Would have been better to have the big robotics factory as sentry battery, to create blind spots.

Another solution could be to forbid placing sentries that face another sentry. Sentries should never have another sentry in its fire cone.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Cant wait to try that out tonight !

( i'll whine here too : the webiste is down every morning for us europeans, it is really annoying )
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1996723:date=Oct 25 2012, 08:47 AM:name=BoBiNoU)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BoBiNoU @ Oct 25 2012, 08:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996723"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->( i'll whine here too : the webiste is down every morning for us europeans, it is really annoying )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We're replacing the whole thing very shortly; please bear with us!
  • Cyborg16Cyborg16 Join Date: 2006-11-18 Member: 58656Members
    Nice lot of changes, but it makes the transition from beta to release look a bit arbitrary. Though truth be told you've been in β a long time and it's already very playable → good luck!
  • ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    HUGE performance increase for me. I do mean HUGE.

Just what I was waiting for to start playing the game s**tless!

Amazing work guys!
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1996726:date=Oct 25 2012, 10:53 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Oct 25 2012, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're replacing the whole thing very shortly; please bear with us!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah thanks for the update on this ( it is very frustrating for me as checking the forum out is the first thing I do in the morning :p )
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Hmmm, Game crashes on me. Pity. Maybe I can get it to work with a few reconfigs.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Really fantastic patch. The obs menu selection bug is really funny. Played a few rounds this morning before work and everything ran extremely well.

A small bug to report -

If you plant Cogs / Hydras as a Gorge but don't exit the Cogs / Hydras selection menu - and then jump into the hive to command - the Cog / Hydra selection screen doesn't go away unless you hop back out of the hive and select another ability.
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    edited October 2012
    fast work!
    please next time add a double key check, because key bindings are broken now.
    to everyone if your keys are broken, check for double function in options.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1996712:date=Oct 25 2012, 01:27 AM:name=Taz1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taz1 @ Oct 25 2012, 01:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm going to assume it was a time constraint thing and it will be fixed up, but please don't hard-bind x to the menu. I use x for crouching.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I use X for strafing right just fine? Did you attempt to re bind it in the options?
    The voice menu definitely wasn't hardcoded earlier today.. o.0
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Going to test it tonight! :D

Few quick questions for who played already, I know sometimes stuff is left out in the patchnotes:

-Are reflections working now?
    -Are the taunts working again? Specialy the gorge 'SQQUUAAAKKK'
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Great work guys. Game of the year. You rock!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    fade jump looks really stupid lol, and blink sound effect still loops.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1996744:date=Oct 25 2012, 03:32 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 25 2012, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I use X for strafing right just fine? Did you attempt to re bind it in the options?
    The voice menu definitely wasn't hardcoded earlier today.. o.0<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No way. Do you use ZX for strafing and F to fire? That's what I use. I've yet to see another one on the planet to use that. Oh btw RMB=forward, LMB=backwards :-) .

BTW, Yeah, the lerk has an insane scream taunt :-P . And I totally love the moving model of the Fade :-P .
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    edited October 2012
    Waaaay better then 223, and I was also in that game riceeater =) was a hard fought win for aliens.

Small things I noticed not that they are bad or good.

Aliens feel like they die a lot faster for some reason like all of the lifeforms are made out of paper.

The new glancing bite cone works great thumbs up for that implementation of this.

Lerk spikes feel more useful now I like the dmg numbers and the better accuracy, vs lvl 3 armor of course it seems rather bad but thats a fully upgraded marine. I noticed that the spikes seemed to do an increased amount of dmg to exo suits is that purposeful? I wasn't murdering them one on one or anything but I was pleasantly surprised to see good numbers when attacking one.

I certainly noticed an fps improvement and several things which made gameplay a bit more fun.

Gorges, it seems like heal spray doesn't heal yourself for as much or am I just crazy?

I like that you made the obs require an armory, that was a good move I think to keep marines from instantly rushing pg/attacking a hive. granted they can still do it but they won't have a obs unless they drop a armory, and thats more res spent so it gets delayed a little.

Map changes from what little I saw I think i played on 3 maps, I liked the changes I felt they were all done with balance in mind and they worked.

Collision from marines exiting PG's was this intentional? when ever a marine exits a pg if a alien is within 3 meters of the pg you get knocked back about 20 feet. even if you are not in the direct path of the marine, or close enough to touch the marine. It almost seemed like an omnidirectional pulse then being hit by the marine coming through the gate. Makes it very difficult to attack a PG because Melee distance is lost for every marine that comes through the gate. In fact if a marine sits at the gate while other marines are constantly coming through you can't stay in melee range of the pg at all from the constant waves of collision.

lol that is "all" i noticed in my 3 hour gaming session =p

Thanks for busting your butts to release 224 whatever the issues are with 224 it is a 200% better then 223 atm. Good call on removing hypermutation/FD while you work out the bugs, they were really exploitable in 223.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    The sound... omg. I mean, the exo bzzz is / was a bit annoying but the sentries? They are giving me headache for real. The main menu is also way to sharp of a sound, but that's just 1 time and then it's over.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    224 patch notes. Wow.
    <ul><li>Observatory now requires an Armory, Robotics Factory no longer requires an Armory.</li><li>Reworked sentries...</li><li>Disabled Hyper-mutation and Feign Death for v1.0 until we have time to fix their problems.</li></ul>

These changes are going to have a big impact. Great steps forward for game play, possibly at the expense of balance. This is a really good tradeoff, imho. There has possibly been too much game play sacrificed on the alter of balance improvements over the past 10-20 patches, so these changes look really good to me.

Lots of other changes in the right direction and lots of great bug fixes. Fantastic work!
This discussion has been closed.