Natural Selection News Update - Beta Build 224 released!

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection News Update - Beta Build 224 released! here

Comments

• salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    Awsome! Thanks UWE for all the hard work!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    OMG ... legacy replays?

I don't think even big companies do that, is that a business decision on their behalf usually or did UWE just crack something really big?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1996621:date=Oct 24 2012, 09:59 PM:name=OnosFactory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OnosFactory @ Oct 24 2012, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996621"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OMG ... legacy replays?

I don't think even big companies do that, is that a business decision on their behalf usually or did UWE just crack something really big?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

SC2 does it. I have no idea if anyone else does. Either way, it is a big plus!
  • StreifenHirnchenStreifenHirnchen Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67609Members
    "Observatory now requires an Armory, Robotics Factory no longer requires an Armory."

not sure if cool... whats the reason for that?
    edited October 2012
    Wow, probably wrong forum to say this but go Blizzard, legacey replays in a strict RTS!

Will be very interesting to compare all the hard work the current BETA clans have performed live for us to what we are generating in a years time.

Edit: *please* excuse my phonetic spelling.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    "Disabled Hyper-mutation and Feign Death for v1.0 until we have time to fix their problems"

What does this mean? are they disabled TILL 1.0? so at 1.0 they will be readded once fixed?

Could've just disabled hypermutation i think?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Typo?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Reworked sentries to fire faster and no longer do structural damage. They respond very quickly and are quite deadly...but you can only build one Sentry Battery per room, <u><b>and only there Sentries per Sentry Battery</b></u>. Sentry Battery cost reduced from 10 to 5.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

there = three?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Hooray sentries are back!
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited October 2012
    Not sure how I feel about the Axe nerf. They weren't that much stronger than LMGs as they were, and this change will echo through the Weapon Upgrades to result in a significantly less powerful T3 axe...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996629:date=Oct 24 2012, 10:08 PM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Oct 24 2012, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Typo?

there = three?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, one battery per room with three sentries per battery.
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    first off - thank you devs and pts VERY MUCH!

the game feels smoother, looks sharper, smells better. love the tracers. glad marines lost the pogo sticks. love love love love

is crevice on summit supposed to be super bright? is that snow glare?

gonna go play om nom nom
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Still no bullet holes?!!? :[
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    "Skulk bite, Fade swipe and Lerk bite now do gradual melee attack damage depending on accuracy."

This sounds cool, but is there a more precise description you could provide? This one seems pretty critical since it's the aliens main for of damage.

How do the cones compare to the old ones? Which has a greater (average damage) *(hit area) i.e. Is it actually worse now for aliens?
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    edited October 2012
    <strike>Also blink and shadowstep max speed seem much slower, though the acceleration on blink seems back to pre 221.
    Can you confirm this? Would you change these without telling us?

I just want aliens to be better!</strike>

Edited: None of this is true. Thanks Cory!
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Great work UWE & PT's. Its so evident how much you guys grinded in 224!!!!

Also I didn't even know demo's / replays were in the game???
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    Having fun so far!

One possible note, it looks like we just crashed a server by destroying the power node in the main marine base. Literally, as soon as the power node popped the server just stopped. I could run around and attack, but all other player models were frozen in place. Timed out, and couldn't reconnect. It was an All-in server.
    Tech... I assume you command Marines alot? As a player marine, it felt *very* cheap to just self sacrifice oneself onto the upgrades Aliens had ... 4 deaths for 40 seconds in a hive room with just an axe ... VERY VERY glad they made this change.

Im'a still gonna get yous upgrades punks ... just, not so often :)
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1996623:date=Oct 25 2012, 07:02 AM:name=StreifenHirnchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StreifenHirnchen @ Oct 25 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Observatory now requires an Armory, Robotics Factory no longer requires an Armory."

not sure if cool... whats the reason for that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In a scenario where marines have Nano on Veil, and have both an observatory in Nano as well as Command, a skulk rush on the Command obs would be pointless, as using beacon on the Nano obs would still teleport the marines back to the closest base, and in the case of Nano that would be Command.
    PersianImmOrtal, do remember those are futuristic nano tech bullets ... probaly do the same thing to non khaara targets as ever ... just self disintergrate.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1996623:date=Oct 25 2012, 07:02 AM:name=StreifenHirnchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StreifenHirnchen @ Oct 25 2012, 07:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Observatory now requires an Armory, Robotics Factory no longer requires an Armory."

not sure if cool... whats the reason for that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think they want to delay the early pressure of marines with a fast pg.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1996623:date=Oct 25 2012, 08:02 AM:name=StreifenHirnchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StreifenHirnchen @ Oct 25 2012, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Observatory now requires an Armory, Robotics Factory no longer requires an Armory."

Probably to make phase tech a little harder to get and robotics more apealing, especially considering many competent comms that don't drop an armory till after the first few res nodes are capped, but drop the obs the instant the game starts.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Ok, I am really happy that 224 is out, I really am but...

DAMNIT I LITERALLY <b>JUST </b>FINISHED A TECH TREE INFOGRAPH and now the tree layout has changed. I worked hard on that layout! Oh well back to the drawing board.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1996638:date=Oct 25 2012, 05:21 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Oct 25 2012, 05:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996638"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still no bullet holes?!!? :[<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just so you aren't going to be devastated on release, I'll break the bad news to you now. Bullet holes (decals) are unfortunately not going to make it into 1.0, due to the ridiculous amount of other high priority stuff needing to get done. But I expect it won't be too many patches after release before they make an appearance.
    <!--quoteo(post=1996639:date=Oct 25 2012, 05:22 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 25 2012, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996639"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Skulk bite, Fade swipe and Lerk bite now do gradual melee attack damage depending on accuracy."

This sounds cool, but is there a more precise description you could provide? This one seems pretty critical since it's the aliens main for of damage.

How do the cones compare to the old ones? Which has a greater (average damage) *(hit area) i.e. Is it actually worse now for aliens?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are 3 damage cones. So, for the skulk, for example, the full damage (75) is the same width that the entire bite cone width was in 223 (.5 width). Then, at (1) the damage is 50, then at 1.5 the damage is 25. So, the overall bite cone width has been increased, from 223, with full damage being no different then 223, but just with the extra lesser damage for a bite that would have been a complete miss in the last patch. So, this is a buff, not a nerf.
    <!--quoteo(post=1996640:date=Oct 25 2012, 05:24 AM:name=yehawmcgraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yehawmcgraw @ Oct 25 2012, 05:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also blink and shadowstep max speed seem much slower, though the acceleration on blink seems back to pre 221.
    Can you confirm this? Would you change these without telling us?

I just want aliens to be better!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, there were no speed changes to make blink and shadowstep slower this patch.

--Cory
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    Well it runs AMAZING, collision is really good, i can actually bite marines without having to compensate for the game not being good. Grats on a fantastic patch so far guys. =)
    edited October 2012
    Cory...........................................................bed.

Oh wait you'r just waking up.

Well, have a good day :)
  • nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    cant seem to use q for ingame push to talk
    and middle mouse is my mumble push to talk and its pinging ###### all over the place wtf is up with the keys?
    Nobody hard coded keys right?
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited October 2012
    Skulks feel like they have lead feet still in combat.

Whilst the bite changes make attacking a little more rewarding you still feel like the marine has better mobility in melee.

Look I may be sh1t but I struggle to keep tabs on a halfway decent marine, they seem to strafe left to right easier and collisions still feel wonky.

Note sure an armoury requirement for obs is enough to really delay PG's, I think it should either be pushed back to AA or require 2nd CC, but this is a step in right direction.

I still dont get why aliens need to have harvesters mature, do extractors? With aliens needing to cyst and cysts costing money I think aliens should get full health harvesters a lot faster (30sec or less).
    After all marines not needing armoury for robo means they can get macs out and build this without needing a marine.
    The reduction from 3.5-2.5 min seems big but more is needed.

Oh and not sure if middle mouse pinging for all aliens is intended feature of glitch.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    Disappointed in the lack of Hive tech tree reworks, lack of Shade buff, and the lack in reworking alien ability upgrades.

Meah, nothing new i suppose other than a better skulk bite.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    Performance: first test on a high ping server ( europeans...wake up!! ) = better, i guess the future looks bright now if further optimization will increase it more

Tracers: Doesn't NS2 use hitscan? I don't like first person tracers....not in CS:GO, not in NS2. Not that they don't make sense anyways for hitscan games. Pls give us an option to remove them.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.