My regrets

TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
I see the game advanced well, But I think we will miss something here..
the FUN.

The game is too much "competiton oriented".
One of the differents things that ppl liked while playing NS1 were the possibility to have some fun, doing strange thing.
to be FREE.

Remember :

_Relocation inside à corridor, outside à map (ns_eclipse), inside a vent, in a lot of strange place, who could make us rediscover a map and have fun strategy for changing.

_Doing weird stuff like ladder with mine, to climb wall, and get the possibiltiy to build stuff and hide in the most strange place possible.

_Using mine to climb into vents

_In alien, to build structure on already existing structure.
Remember the Alien Tower of "Offence chamber" Useless, where the gorge could climb from OC to OC, until being at the top. but fun and artistic.

_Trolling/Blocking elevator with buildings. and getting a whole part of the map inaccessible for marine. Gorge challenge inside.

_To be free, after having kill a lot of marine, and having a lot of ressources to go into gorge and make a Wall of Offense chamber, oustide marine base, with some Defense chamber to heal the OC, and the fade coming back..
And some SC to make the whole thing invisible.
To give your team a kind of advanced base.

Now its not the same fun.

all this stupid stuff, is part of my better memories of NS1.

I have the feeling that all thoses early fun relocation into Hive.. are not possible again, and that the gameplay will be very linear and serious.
I like Serious games, but Its good to have a fun/weird game sometimes.

I'm disapoinded by too much serious, and only the competitive aspect remaining.

My english is bad, bud if you're agree with me, just say it.

Comments

• ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    that is true. more controlled core game & less sandbox - but thats ok for 1.0

- the one positive i can see about removing some of the freedom is it makes the game more testable & in theory easier to balance.

take heart - ns2 is a good platform for adding future shenanigans.
  • kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss those off-the-wall games too, but NS2 is not NS1. I assure you, you can still do silly things in NS2, not just the things you've become accustomed to playing NS1.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    I know what you mean. Your english is just fine.

It is definitely different than NS1, that doesn't mean the fun is gone.

Gorges frequently clod themselves into vents to rain down bile bombs from above.

I miss welding and webbing, both sound like they'll make it back into the game after 1.0

Keep in mind UWE had to build the entire engine (from what I understand) not just add the fun toys. After release they'll be able to focus on adding more of the fun toys back in. :)
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    edited October 2012
    Yeah but with no ability to build the command center inside a corridor, or for a gorge to build choose anything but offence chamber, i dont see how this will be possible. no more freedom.
    That was what I liked in NS1.
    being free to do a lot of stupid and crazy things
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996140:date=Oct 24 2012, 07:05 AM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Oct 24 2012, 07:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wut
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I do agree with you Tgaud:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118878&pid=1942307" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...amp;pid=1942307</a>
    Well its seems most of players would like that.
    It were quit changing, fun and challenging too.
    We could make some improvisation.

I can't forget this moment when you run in marine to this very far waypoint, in secret, Knowing there is no IP at Marine start, and that the command chair is allready attacked by some enraged skulks.

When you're building this new CC, being alert on every noise.. half of your team dead, not able to respawn, and waiting for you to finish to build the Infantry portal.

brr
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    <!--coloro:#ADD8E6--><span style="color:#ADD8E6"><!--/coloro-->Well, what if you could relocate but the tech points are still required for technology? ie.. no Exos without 2 tech points... otherwise I'd just drop 2 comm chairs in main...<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Or we could make some thing :

1_No need to build an infantry portail in a CC range (unlike NS1)

_CC can be attacked only if the electricity is Down EVERWHERE on the map (otherwise it has a protective shield)
    OR
    _CC can be destroyed only if all the other marine buildings are destroyed or if Another CC already exist

Building a the power building in a room would take the same time than the Old CC.
    So relocation timing would remain the sames.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    You'll just have to find some other ways of being creative in NS2. And if you simply cannot appreciate NS2 for what it is, you can always wait for the inevitable NS1 mod. ;)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hating this thread, what has anything you've said got to do with competitive.

Sigh!!!
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996183:date=Oct 24 2012, 12:18 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Oct 24 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hating this thread, what has anything you've said got to do with competitive.

Sigh!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think his definition of "competitive" means an environment that is more controlled and strict than it is casual and creative.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Building outside the map? Terrible.
    Using mine to climb into vents? Lame, boosting and teamwork FTW.
    Build a structure on an already existing structure? You can do that with clogs and hydras.
    Trolling/Blocking elevator with buildings. Not cool at all, I guess that one reason elevators were not a priority in NS2.

Over half the things OP mentioned are balant exploits that are only fun for trolling a few game but get frustrating when you actually want to play the game.
    If someone prefers to ###### around instead of actually playing the game, then there's a problem.

Glad they're gone in NS2.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996186:date=Oct 24 2012, 05:28 PM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Oct 24 2012, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think his definition of "competitive" means an environment that is more controlled and strict than it is casual and creative.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So if we add in the ability to say, use mines as ladders, suddenly this game is more fun and less competitive.

What?

All I can say to people on these forums is font bash things you don't have a grasp of. I'm no expert, but the OP is only accurate about these things enabling creativity.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    NS Classic for that bro
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I still miss relocations, it added so much more strategic variety to the game. Sure you can still reloc to other tech points, but that's usually never a desirable strategy in NS 2.
    (Except for maybe summit xroads start)
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1996182:date=Oct 24 2012, 06:01 PM:name=KaptajnKLO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KaptajnKLO @ Oct 24 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996182"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You'll just have to find some other ways of being creative in NS2. And if you simply cannot appreciate NS2 for what it is, you can always wait for the inevitable NS1 mod. ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS2c = NS1 (NS2 classic) and is allready made.
  • DarkBlueArtDarkBlueArt Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159584Members
    Hi there,

well, fun is, what you make out of it. Okay, NS2 does not provide the same features and abilities like NS1.
    You are talking about being creative? Look how you can be creative in NS2 is my answer!

Just an example:
    One game last evening, a gorge found a little in crevice a little platform. The game was nearly over, marines had exos and all the stuff, aliens were hanging with their last hive in the ropes. So we build with 3 people a gorge-fort with clogs and hydras on the platform. Any exo or marine got some spits as they past by through crevice and their guns just spread to much on this range. Every JP was shot down by the hydras, spits and a lerk who joined the fun.
    Gorge-fort stayed invulnerable until the end, and it was fun how the marines just could do nothing.

New game, new ways to have fun I guess. :D
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Amusing to watch, irritating to play. Glad they are all gone.

As funny as my instant-kill gorge forts were, they made NS1 very frustrating.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1996137:date=Oct 25 2012, 02:02 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Oct 25 2012, 02:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996137"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->_Relocation inside à corridor, outside à map (ns_eclipse), inside a vent, in a lot of strange place, who could make us rediscover a map and have fun strategy for changing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unfortunate consequence of powernode/techpoint system

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->_Doing weird stuff like ladder with mine, to climb wall, and get the possibiltiy to build stuff and hide in the most strange place possible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can do this already

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->_Using mine to climb into vents<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See above

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->_In alien, to build structure on already existing structure.
    Remember the Alien Tower of "Offence chamber" Useless, where the gorge could climb from OC to OC, until being at the top. but fun and artistic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Buggy and exploitative. I hated these in ns1, they were no fun.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->_Trolling/Blocking elevator with buildings. and getting a whole part of the map inaccessible for marine. Gorge challenge inside.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are no elevators yet implemented to block?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->_To be free, after having kill a lot of marine, and having a lot of ressources to go into gorge and make a Wall of Offense chamber, oustide marine base, with some Defense chamber to heal the OC, and the fade coming back..
    And some SC to make the whole thing invisible.
    To give your team a kind of advanced base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Most of this function is now shifted to the alien commander. Alien commander is here to stay for better or worse.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm disapoinded by too much serious, and only the competitive aspect remaining.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lack of relocation hurts 'competitive' as much as pub.
    *edit*
    I can assure you, ns2 relies more on troll mechanics than ns1 ever did. Still alot of non-serious 'fun' to be had, you just have to look in the right place.
    Yeah well sure it was frustrating some time. But It added some challenge.

I had really a good time in both way.

In gorge building those high tower of OC
    In marine, taking the launch grenade to destroy all this down.

Relocation could be powerful.
    The interesting and fun this here, was that it was a bet, an all-in.

If you can't take fun of those kind of stuff, One game over 15, in a non serious game, maybe you should question yourself about what is it for you to have fun, except gaining point, like a job.