Should the recent tourney be used as a baseline for future buffs?

MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
I originally was going to just list the unused strats/upgrades during the final and semi finals, but maybe I'll backup one more step to see if this is acceptable

The premise is simple. . .
If the best teams out there aren't even touching something is it time to give it a boost?

It's not just stuff that is unpopular. . .
Certain buildings were left bare <i>(never build once)</i> in any game no matter how long the games went for

---

Reference:
<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/336410686" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/336410686</a>

Comments

• piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994617:date=Oct 21 2012, 03:27 PM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Oct 21 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I originally was going to just list the unused strats/upgrades during the final and semi finals, but maybe I'll backup one more step to see if this is acceptable

The premise is simple. . .
    If the best teams out there aren't even touching something is it time to give it a boost?

It's not just stuff that is unpopular. . .
    Certain buildings were left bare <i>(never build once)</i> in any game no matter how long the games went for

---

Reference:
    <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/336410686" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/336410686</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, its looking bad atm ... Alot of the tech feels like feature fluff
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I didn't get a chance to watch any streams this weekend. What in particular was not used?
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Oh hell no.

UWE should never even think about basing parts of the game and game play off what a competitive team uses and doesn’t use. Now don’t get me wrong, broad casted competitive games and tournaments are great PR but in my opinion the main use of this game will be pub games. And we all know pub games tend to play much more different than competitive play, so let’s allow them to play how they feel fit.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    Well, the tourny (and pub play from what ive seen, the strategies used are very similar atm) was a clear indication that:

- Aliens at 1 hive are not viable, almost all teams immediately rushed that second hive
    - Aliens, even at a 2nd hive, generally struggle to maintain map control, until the 2nd hive onos egg, a majority of the teams went for an onos egg and that onos egg could usually seal the deal, provided the res advantage and skill discrepancy wasn't too big.
    - 2nd hive onos egg is a little too viable atm, but it's a necessity for aliens to stand a chance in a lot of cases.

Though I suppose some may disagree with this.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    edited October 2012
    For a few patches I've only ever gotten carapace and celerity. Its just too dangerous not to take them both. People ask me how I live to lay down so many spores as a lerk, its because I take celerity and carapace. If i dont take both of those Im simply not viable as lerk (and yes I'm quite viable if i do, last time I played I was around 25-5 as lerk, though its not easy at all). Its as simple as that. Pretty sure UWE doesn't want this to be this way.
  • PikachuPikachu Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161437Members
    edited October 2012
    My primary observation was that aliens were at large mobility disadvantage due to phase gates, in every game.

Second, I noticed that hives were incredibly vulnerable from all vectors while marines had the luxury of walling with armory placement <i>and </i>downright ignoring walls with their siege weapons. That just seems odd to me, if you're going to give them 2 indirect fire siege weapons why wouldn't you give aliens superior terraforming? Forget doorways, aliens should be changing <i>rooms</i>.

I'm still struggling with the concept of structures being required to maintain alien upgrades. If we follow the logic of hives being egg generators, I can understand losing a hive creating some issues. However, in the grand scheme of life with how colonial queens tend to store semen for <i>years </i>after mating and how biologics have a habit of spraying their unit of inheritance all over the place, I'm having trouble believing that advancements wouldn't at least persist with the hive.

That's what I've got out of the tourneys.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Have you ever seen a competitive Dota game? Me neither. However, what I do know about the game is that certain heroes always feature, simply because their abilities are just so team oriented. Does that mean all the other heroes are weaker? I don't think so, I think its just a case of those heroes abilities not playing to the strengths of an organised team.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    The biggest problem with this idea is that first of all, comp. games aren't played like pub games.

The other problem is that comp. games are 6v6. Inherently, a 6v6 game isn't played like a 9v9 game, which isn't played like a 12v12 game.

So, making the game perfect for a 6v6 comp. game sometimes it makes it unplayable for a 12v12 pub game.

<!--quoteo(post=1994648:date=Oct 21 2012, 06:02 PM:name=Daphisto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daphisto @ Oct 21 2012, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't get a chance to watch any streams this weekend. What in particular was not used?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hardly anything was used except leap, cara, and blink. Sometimes celerity.

A lot of games for aliens went: quick 2nd hive, onos egg, leap or maybe a second onos egg, cara

Marines generally 1 or 2 people sweep around the map to make RTs, while 3 or 4 early harass hives/eggs with or without PG.

The craziest game I watched was exertus vs inversion on tram. It involved dropping 2 early onos eggs, and then quite a few oni/exos dying with 50 minutes of stalemate.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Competitive team usually play rather conservatively and stick to what works, simply because trying new stuff makes you loose.
    As an example valkyries were not used for years in pro starcraft, after fantasy started to use them, they became almost standard.
    Social dynamic, mainly imitation plays a big role as well. It's also hard to distinguish between the effect of skill and strategy.

A controlled balance team would do a much better job.
    <!--quoteo(post=1994785:date=Oct 22 2012, 11:47 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 22 2012, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->trying new stuff makes you loose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

truer words...
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm afraid comp. teams don't use certain things because it just doesn't work well though, and that's a balancing problem with the game itself.

I don't think they just haven't discovered the awesomeness of silence or camo; maybe the cost/benefit is just too great.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yeah, silence and camo gets me every time as a marine xD
    Especially silence, I ###### my pants when a skulk emerges out of seemingly nowhere.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Silence was borderline OP for harassment in ns1 when you couldnt even have celerity at the same time. If it's not being used in ns2 it is due to its tech tree placement.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you ever seen a competitive Dota game? Me neither. However, what I do know about the game is that certain heroes always feature, simply because their abilities are just so team oriented. Does that mean all the other heroes are weaker? I don't think so, I think its just a case of those heroes abilities not playing to the strengths of an organised team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I regularly watch competitive dota, and I even played it on a midrange competitive level for a while. I can assure you that DOTA has a much more varied array of hero choices and strategies (lane set-ups) utilised at all levels of play. That's not to say all heroes in the game are 100% viable, but I would dare say at least 90% is. The day the same can be said for NS2's tech path will be a great day for comp and competitive play alike, but right now that's simply not the case.

I see almost all marine teams rush PG, never mind that they were even given sprint in NS 2, so one would argue that they need it less than they did in NS1. Hopefully with useful sentries, at least in pub play, that will mix some things up, but PGs will remain the cornerstone of any marine strategy, and I personally think that's unfortunate. With aliens the situation is even more dire, almost all teams instantly drop the second hive, simply because 1 hive aliens are not viable. They then proceed to get crag and shift (shade is pretty much entirely absent in both comp and pub play alike) and an onos egg, which is usually the only thing that really stops the marine domination up to that point. (Since usually the onos egg is there before fades are on the field)

There's a big gap between the start of a game and the time fades and onos come out for aliens, where aliens are simply not competitive when both teams are equally skilled. We even saw this with ARC, who were struggling to hold on on summit vs exertus, until that onos egg came into play.
    <!--quoteo(post=1994785:date=Oct 22 2012, 02:47 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 22 2012, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->trying new stuff makes you <b>loose</b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

trying new stuff makes you <b>lose</b>
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994830:date=Oct 22 2012, 02:12 PM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Oct 22 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->trying new stuff makes you <b>lose</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He could be right though, in a different context. :D
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I'm a lousy loser at vocabulary :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1994834:date=Oct 22 2012, 05:19 AM:name=Keldorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Keldorn @ Oct 22 2012, 05:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He could be right though, in a different context. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i knew i should of gone with the dirty joke :D
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    In combination with data from non-pro games, it absolutely should be taken into account when balancing various tech options and strategies. Hard to ignore when pretty much every alien team used fast hive + onos drop, and marines all go phase first.
    <!--quoteo(post=1994843:date=Oct 22 2012, 02:34 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Oct 22 2012, 02:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In combination with data from non-pro games, it absolutely should be taken into account when balancing various tech options and strategies. Hard to ignore when pretty much every alien team used fast hive + onos drop, and marines all go phase first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This happens in pub games as well though. And no, not just because competitive players did it. The instant second drop hive has been the prominent alien strategy in pubs for like 1-2 months now.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why do some people think that competitive players are somehow playing a different game to those on public? It really boggles the mind.

The only difference between competitive and publics is that competitive players play the most efficient route in the game to achieve a win, and if that win is the result of the same route every game, then the game is not balanced properly.

The reason certain strategies make it into public games is because it filters down from the competitive community.

Look at CS for example, flash spots, sniper spots, etc.. all roll down from competitive.

Public play is just a less organised and thus longer version of the game than competitive, so please don't make the mistake of thinking that balancing based on how things occur in competitive matches are somehow 'less fun' or 'not suitable' for publics.

All that is happening is that the game is being balanced properly.
  • KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    Well, i wouldnt go for a 7min onos on a pub due to the number of marines on a 20slot server. The risk of losing the onos is higher then in a 6v6.
    But fast hive is a must have on a 20slot server.
  • n.s.l.dn.s.l.d Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163093Members
    I'll throw out a quick example of pub vs comp play. On ns2stats the top rated commander is Master Blaster. He usually goes for silence first, and it is extremely effective in a 10v10 situation. Granted it should be taken it for what it's worth, but there are other (very effective) strategies out there that you just don't see going on in the tournaments.

I'll also agree with the above... a single quick onos egg in a 12v12 doesn't seem viable if weapons 1 is online.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Good point on the onos eggs. Commander dropped equipment does not scale with player count. That said, in a pub game you're likely to have less coordination so a dropped onos might still be effective even thigh theres many more marines present to attack that one onos.
    I agree totally. In a 10v10, if there is a lack of coordination on marines, and especially if they go straight for shotguns and/or phase tech and skip arms lab, I have seen many a game go to the 7 min onos.
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Watching the competitive scene for ns2 reminds me of early competitive scene for any rts (sc2 comes to mind). People assure themselves that this mathematically insignificant, tiny group of players are the "experts", and have determined the mathematically "best" way to play. Really it's just people seeing what works and copying it. NS2 hasn't had nearly the man hours or time spent on the current balance patch even to make assessments of what is or isn't viable. Once the game has more than a completely insignificant number of players putting time and effort into it, we'll likely see the metagame shift and adapt.
  • UruktosUruktos Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994841:date=Oct 22 2012, 05:32 AM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Oct 22 2012, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994841"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i knew i <b>should of</b> gone with the dirty joke :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>Should have</b>. Your wrong.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994912:date=Oct 22 2012, 11:20 AM:name=Uruktos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uruktos @ Oct 22 2012, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Should have</b>. Your wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're wrong.

Edit: Sorry I couldn't help myself.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994909:date=Oct 22 2012, 04:14 PM:name=Burzghash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Burzghash @ Oct 22 2012, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994909"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Watching the competitive scene for ns2 reminds me of early competitive scene for any rts (sc2 comes to mind). People assure themselves that this mathematically insignificant, tiny group of players are the "experts", and have determined the mathematically "best" way to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd love to see you lead a pub team against Archaea, I really would. They don't know the game inside and out, but clans are still at the top of this understanding.

Clans tend to experiment more, so if someone started using the ARCs that have become a lot cheaper to beat off a clan like ARC then people will see the value and begin to use them more.

Player count is not a public game thing, it is just a numbers thing. You can still play competitive 10v10.

The issue comes with how things stack, like grenades, etc... it is that sort of thing that needs to be addressed for higher player counts.

Ideally you would have units that don't stack, like crags, grenades, etc.
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Just because they're better than random pubs, does not mean they are the be-all end-all final word on balance. Because again, the sample size is too small and the time spent too short. But I know the desire to idol-worship is strong. No doubt they're good. They're just not in a position to make declarations of game balance based on the incredibly limited experience of an infinitesimally small group of players and the laughably tiny window of gameplay between balancing patches. Perhaps if they had hundreds of thousands of beta testers all testing and stressing the metagame simultaneously, a la Blizzard. But that's not the case.