Team Join

RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">We NEED a certain situation before game start</div>I was watching a stream on a public server on Friday, and this same situation occurred that happens frequently on publics.

At 7 minutes into the game, not one marine had gone commander. 5 minutes later and marines lost.

For casual players, that is the ruin of any match.

We really need to see built in options for servers.

1. Game only starts once both teams have a commander, then restarting with comms already in the chair.
2. Players are all randomed once commanders have been chosen.

It won't stop people from f4ing, but it will make sure games begin from 0 on a level playing field, and people are more likely to keep playing once a decision has been made for them.

Comments

• TiomatTiomat Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155713Members
    I agree in principle that it would be nice to make sure both sides had someone willing to go commander before the game starts, but it is kind of difficult to do this. Also it doesnt stop the commander player leaving after 10 minutes which causes the same problem.

My solution to this when this happens is get all the marines to move as a deathball straight for the hive. Ends up as a 50/50 chance of winning, which is better than the alternative of standing next to RTs waiting for someone to get in the chair.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's a nice suggestion actually. I like it. Game begins when both coms are in the chairs.

It could allow for tiny 5-10 second "planning stages" if needed too.
  • ToadvineToadvine Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162405Members
    Well in my opinion, if no one wants to be the commander, the game should not force you to play as one. There's a reason that no one wants to play as commander, and that should be addressed (as it has been on many other threads). Fixing the "fun" of playing a commander is what the Devs should focus on, not forcing players to play a role that is not enjoyable.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    no one is eing in forced in that system but as long as there isnt one sitting in the game doesnt start
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    NS2 is a combination of fps and rts, its the vary core of the game. If you just want to shot stuff, you should play on the combat servers.
  • azurescorchazurescorch Join Date: 2012-09-29 Member: 161030Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1994441:date=Oct 21 2012, 01:50 PM:name=Toadvine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toadvine @ Oct 21 2012, 01:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well in my opinion, if no one wants to be the commander, the game should not force you to play as one. There's a reason that no one wants to play as commander, and that should be addressed (as it has been on many other threads). Fixing the "fun" of playing a commander is what the Devs should focus on, not forcing players to play a role that is not enjoyable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd presume people don't want to command because they don't want the responsibility. At least that's why I don't command. If no one else does it I jump in, but I loath doing it. I don't think any amount of fixing the "fun" will change this, I'd still find it unenjoyable.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994441:date=Oct 21 2012, 07:50 AM:name=Toadvine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toadvine @ Oct 21 2012, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994441"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well in my opinion, if no one wants to be the commander, the game should not force you to play as one. There's a reason that no one wants to play as commander, and that should be addressed (as it has been on many other threads). Fixing the "fun" of playing a commander is what the Devs should focus on, not forcing players to play a role that is not enjoyable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This makes no sense. Some players just like shooting things more than RTS (me) and there is no problem with that. Every game has some requirement to be played correctly. If you want to drone rush the enemy in Starcraft 2 every game, nothing forces you to build stuff... but you just have to accept that there ARE wrong ways to play. Nothing forces you to buy guns in Counter-strike, but going knife-only won't get you far most of the time.

Just accept that for every 6-12 people playing, one person has to be a comm. Those are great odds, IMO.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    my concern with this idea is that somebody just jumps into hive / cc to get the game started, without actually intending to command.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    True, but it will encourage players, you can't force them after all.
  • ToadvineToadvine Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162405Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994559:date=Oct 21 2012, 03:42 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Oct 21 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This makes no sense. Some players just like shooting things more than RTS (me) and there is no problem with that. Every game has some requirement to be played correctly. If you want to drone rush the enemy in Starcraft 2 every game, nothing forces you to build stuff... but you just have to accept that there ARE wrong ways to play. Nothing forces you to buy guns in Counter-strike, but going knife-only won't get you far most of the time.

Just accept that for every 6-12 people playing, one person has to be a comm. Those are great odds, IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Uhh that's kind of half what I was saying. So you only like to shoot stuff...why would you be in favor of a system that might force you to become a commander? ...

Instead, all I was saying is if commander was more fun to play others would have no problem jumping in.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    This seems unnecessary to me. If no one commands then the game will be over in five minutes anyways and someone will get in the command chair next time around.
    edited October 2012
    So basically what you are all saying is that the game will be ruined anyway, and it will force someone to get into the chair the next round?

Ipso facto, this idea just saved you 5 minutes of your time.

No where does it say forcing teams, all it says is once both commanders have gotten into the chair the game restarts with the commanders in the chair. It is their choice.

I think it would make for a good encouragement system, because you have basically 'signed' up to be a commander when you jump in the chair at the start of the game.

But hey, any system would be welcome that gave both teams a level start to play from. Can't think of any game now that doesn't have a warm up timer.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Fast fix is to have a warm up round <i>(duration set by the server)</i>

During this time whoever is in the chair/eggsack will be the comm at the start of the game

Warmup round continues until someone is in both seats for another, but shorter, duration set by the server <i>(10 seconds default maybe)</i>
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    One way or another, games are still starting way too fast. It's extremely common for games to get off to dud starts in public games because half the players are still in the RR.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994589:date=Oct 21 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 21 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994589"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my concern with this idea is that somebody just jumps into hive / cc to get the game started, without actually intending to command.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, didn't think about that :/ .

By the way, in ye olde Battlefield 2142 days there was a system where people applied to be commander in the first 15-30 seconds of the game, and I can't remember how but people voted/"elected" a commander. Maybe too much work and too complicated to get done before 1.0 but something to think about :-) .

Maybe have a "warm-up stage" of 15 seconds with commander elections (5 seconds to nominate yourself, 10 seconds for the rest of the team to vote?).
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    I agree with this. Even if someone bails or starts sucking horribly after 10 mins, thats 10 mins of practice and they might not be so awful next time.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I suggested this in the suggestion forum and it turned out I wasn't the first to suggest it either. I see no downside to this, it should be added.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think its a good idea. Something like a minimum of 2-3 players per team with one of them beeing commander
    edited October 2012
    I don't think people know what is good for themselves really, a good game usually comes from well balanced teams and an intense and close match, be it public or clan. You'll often get games starting with 2v3, with half the players still in the readyroom jumping around in the marine join area.

A few minutes after the game has started and finally someone goes alien and teams start to fill.

As great ass the readyroom is, it seems extremely broken in its relationship with the game.

I'm not against the readyroom, I think it is great. But people will actually enjoy the game more if games start in clan match like conditions from point 0. I think it will add to game immersion and bring up the competition on publics.

It would also help to prevent the attitude of wasting slots by afking in the readyroom, because people will be aware of the fact that they are going to be afk the whole match once they are randomed. If they are concerned with stats, this is also discouraging.

People can still F4, but perhaps this will also change the 'social' attitudes in game for people who do this and actively discourage this behaviour.
  • CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
    +1 to the idea of somehow requiring a commander... or allow a teleport into the comm chair/hive if there is no commander within the first 5 minutes of the game (so it cannot be abused)
  • n.s.l.dn.s.l.d Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163093Members
    I am in favor of requiring a commander to start a round. Warm up until both teams are ready with a commander, then restart with them in their seats.

I also like the idea of some sort of nomination system. Everyone who uses the chair nominates themselves. Then either a random person gets it or a quick vote takes place. I am not really seeing this being done by UWE... maybe a mod will take this on.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1994589:date=Oct 22 2012, 12:15 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 22 2012, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994589"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->my concern with this idea is that somebody just jumps into hive / cc to get the game started, without actually intending to command.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...aaand this is why you need a voteban (1hr ban). Anyone hopping comm just to start the game gets banned. Problem solved. You can't design the game with the premise that all players are animals.
  • n.s.l.dn.s.l.d Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163093Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994985:date=Oct 22 2012, 01:44 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Oct 22 2012, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...aaand this is why you need a voteban (1hr ban). Anyone hopping comm just to start the game gets banned. Problem solved. You can't design the game with the premise that all players are animals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agree 100%.

I think the argument could also be made of anyone who just hops on comm. A troll could hop into comm at any time. You can vote eject, but it will probably be too late if the other commander is competent. The damage is done.

That being said, technically even vote eject can be abused if you have enough goons in a server.
    I think some solution to avoid the 30 seconds of empty chair that inevitably happens from time to time would be quite welcome.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I don't think you need vote ban yet. Just add simple system "when 2 comms, game starts". See how it goes for a bit before adding extra features to deal with a problem that we don't even know would be a problem yet. Keep it simple for now. Make it so Flayra.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Games are definitely starting too fast and I seriously hope UWE manages to address this before release. HBZ servers run a plugin that delays the round start by I believe 45 seconds, and that really does wonders! Right now there's just too many games that are started with half of the team still in the RR.

An easy fix could be requiring a larger % of the playerbase to be in the teams before the game actually starts.
  • lolwowlolwow Join Date: 2012-10-06 Member: 161681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994644:date=Oct 21 2012, 04:49 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Oct 21 2012, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One way or another, games are still starting way too fast. It's extremely common for games to get off to dud starts in public games because half the players are still in the RR.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    basically this. some people have slower PCs/internet and are kinda lagging behind till they get to RR and are then just slowly trickling into each team
    it would be simply easier to give like a 40-60 seconds start up time at the start of a round for each team to bull###### with each other/talk tactics/decide who's the commander/whatever before the round restarts for real, sorta like in team fortress 2