To the musical powers that be

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">something I would really like to see (hear)</div>The most hard hitting nostalgia bomb I have ever experienced originates from a short sample from the main NS1 ambient music file. To me, it is the single most recognisable item from NS1, and immediately brings back vivid memories of playing the game. I'm talking about the part of ns_ambient1 starting at 1:16 and ending around 1:42. If there's one thing I really want to see in the release of V1.0, its a re-imagined version of this ambient music file, and specifically, this poignant excerpt.

Not trying to cramp anyone's style or demand my own personal remix, just saying that if Simon is on the lookout for some inspiration, I really suggest starting here.

<!--quoteo(post=1994418:date=Oct 21 2012, 01:07 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 21 2012, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hgi_ciYRpDM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hgi_ciYRpDM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comments

• KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--coloro:#FFC0CB--><span style="color:#FFC0CB"><!--/coloro-->A reasonable post from Imbalanxd?! :O

I agree completely. That original ambient piece by Jeremy Soule (who does the music for the Elder Scrolls series) is beautiful. The part you mentioned would sound great if they mixed it into whatever they decide shall be the menu music for 1.0.

Still gives me goosebumps every time I hear that theme. :)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I loved the simple music in NS, and the simple sound effects. The lone instruments sound really lonely, which really echoes well with the space theme.

Not that NS2 doesn't sound great, etc... but i'd really like to hear simpler sound effects to give rise to this feeling.

It is very much like the opening to the alien movies.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    I KNOW. THIS IS MY FAVORITE THING EVER. I want this to be a thing.
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    Wow...talk about nostalgia. That sample bought back memories...

As awsome as the NS2 music is (btw...you get to hear these on intermission breaks on the Tournament livecasts). The OP is correct, that sample is THE difinitive Natural selection sound-byte.....

Would really love to see this re-imagined on the NS2 soundtrack...
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I'll link simon this thread when he comes online on steam and see what he says
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994242:date=Oct 20 2012, 04:47 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 20 2012, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The most hard hitting nostalgia bomb I have ever experienced originates from a short sample from the main NS1 ambient music file. To me, it is the single most recognisable item from NS1, and immediately brings back vivid memories of playing the game. I'm talking about the part of ns_ambient1 starting at 1:16 and ending around 1:42. If there's one thing I really want to see in the release of V1.0, its a re-imagined version of this ambient music file, and specifically, this poignant excerpt.

Not trying to cramp anyone's style or demand my own personal remix, just saying that if Simon is on the lookout for some inspiration, I really suggest starting here.

Anyone who doesn't have the original NS1 can find the relevant ambience file <a href="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6250985/ns_ambient1.mp3" target="_blank">here</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you for this post. The nostalgia blast I have from 1:16 onward is intense. I sat there completely enraptured
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zJ-2ePkq4" target="_blank">The NS1 title screen music</a>
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1994290:date=Oct 20 2012, 07:58 PM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Oct 20 2012, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zJ-2ePkq4" target="_blank">The NS1 title screen music</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like it, but it isn't as special to me as what Imbalanxd shared.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Definitely will buy again. A+++++
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I've been trying for so long to remember where this sample was most prominent. I know it was in the ambient music that played, and I think it played when your team lost a round, but I'm so sure there was another time it played, far more often. I swear I remember hearing it all the time when NS was still on the WON system/launcher, but I can't remember from where.

Does anyone else know?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1994290:date=Oct 21 2012, 12:58 AM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Oct 21 2012, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9zJ-2ePkq4" target="_blank">The NS1 title screen music</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, the original one:
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hgi_ciYRpDM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hgi_ciYRpDM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    Yeah, 1:16 holds a special place in my heart.
  • ToumalToumal Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71591Members
    Oh I like the music of NS2 actually. It's more action oriented and less depressive :)

What the NS2 music lacks a bit is interesting chord progressions, at least some of the songs are quite repetitive in that regard, relying heavily on the use of effects and drums to spice things up a bit. It was interesting to listen to the soundtrack during the logitech tourney intermissions, but I didn't hear many songs that caught my ear in a particular way. But that's okay, it's still a nice soundtrack, definitely much better than the music we had in the in the alpha menu. And I don't think I heard all songs so maybe I am missing something.

I like the current menu music. I think they should keep that music playing while the first map is loading, and then fade out gradually during the precache phase.

Jeremy Soule's stuff was amazing for a mod at that time, but let's face it, much of it was a wild mix of string passages with huge amounts of reverb, a very wet mix covering up the transitions between otherwise unconnected bits of music. Individual segments were cool and show that Soule knows about music theory, but all in all not really something you'd listen to on purpose. NS2 is much more defined in that regard, and I prefer that really.

Commence the flames in 3.. 2.. 1.. ;)
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    I hate you Imbalanxd, you just brought back so much lost memories at once... wow, it's so great to hear that again!
    I really love it, there is so much in those titles, much more scifi, much more tension and ambiance.

I don't understand how you can describe that as "depressive", it gives so much energy!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    OMG yes please! We need to lobby to get this in :D
    Would be amazing as a 10-year on release celebration mix.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Interesting. The music was nice, but listening to it now I realize how it was pretty much exactly the music from the movie Aliens.

--Cory
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I miss the alpha / early beta menu music, will it be in the NS2 soundtrack? I think there where 4 iterations (counting the current one) I liked all of them, I hope they are not lost, and I can get them in the soundtrack going to be released on launch this Halloween!
  • ReVerthexReVerthex Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34719Members
    edited October 2012
    While we are on the topic of music, what happened to the awesome guys at NSradio.net?
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w5z9d7Jg4pg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w5z9d7Jg4pg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    The song ends with the same segment Imbaland mentioned.
    I think I have most of the cool songs the [FFT] clan made and the parodies, like the ghetto roadshow, the gorge father and Lich the commander, etc.

:D
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1994585:date=Oct 21 2012, 09:08 PM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Oct 21 2012, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I miss the alpha / early beta menu music, will it be in the NS2 soundtrack? I think there where 4 iterations (counting the current one) I liked all of them, I hope they are not lost, and I can get them in the soundtrack going to be released on launch this Halloween!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, all of those are on the NS2 soundtrack.

--Cory
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Brings back a lot of memory's listening to that.

Really like the current main menu music in NS2, sounds like something off one of the latest resident evil films, just think it takes a little too long to kick in though, by the time it actually starts you've already found a game!
  • mik2kmik2k Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16164Members
    This music brings back memories, it's evocative.

<!--quoteo(post=1994600:date=Oct 21 2012, 04:46 PM:name=ReVerthex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ReVerthex @ Oct 21 2012, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While we are on the topic of music, what happened to the awesome guys at NSradio.net?
    The song ends with the same segment Imbaland mentioned.
    I think I have most of the cool songs the [FFT] clan made and the parodies, like the ghetto roadshow, the gorge father and Lich the commander, etc.

:D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember Gorges Just Wanna' Have Fun by [FFT]Fangs, absolutely hilarious. No thread about the NS soundtrack is allowed to miss this.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYRsjz74kFI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PYRsjz74kFI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1994582:date=Oct 21 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 21 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting. The music was nice, but listening to it now I realize how it was pretty much exactly the music from the movie Aliens.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is true. Just watched Alien and Aliens the other day. The amount of NS going through my mind was intense
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    While I really love it, it's... It's a bit slow to pick up, innit. It's something you'd like to listen while sneaking around in dark corridors. There's little of that in NS2. :S
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    gorgs just wanna have fun!
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994242:date=Oct 21 2012, 06:47 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 21 2012, 06:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The most hard hitting nostalgia bomb I have ever experienced originates from a short sample from the main NS1 ambient music file. To me, it is the single most recognisable item from NS1, and immediately brings back vivid memories of playing the game. I'm talking about the part of ns_ambient1 starting at 1:16 and ending around 1:42. If there's one thing I really want to see in the release of V1.0, its a re-imagined version of this ambient music file, and specifically, this poignant excerpt.

Not trying to cramp anyone's style or demand my own personal remix, just saying that if Simon is on the lookout for some inspiration, I really suggest starting here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That excerpt (which is also a nostalgic favorite of mine) or at least the first 4-5 seconds was also the 'team loss' music that played when you lost, I believe. Maybe that was just the Kharaa? Can't quite remember...it'd be epic to have that as the losing music in NS2 though :D
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1994633:date=Oct 22 2012, 12:09 AM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Oct 22 2012, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I really love it, it's... It's a bit slow to pick up, innit. It's something you'd like to listen while sneaking around in dark corridors. There's little of that in NS2. :S<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It fit a bit with the very beginning of a game, when you were most likely to hear it since it was first in the "playlist"; lot of running through empty corridors trying to get the drop on the enemy before they can expand too far, or cautiously checking corners for skulks.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1994582:date=Oct 21 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 21 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1994582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Interesting. The music was nice, but listening to it now I realize how it was pretty much exactly the music from the movie Aliens.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

dont know if youre saying thats good or bad. i do suggest looking at the opening cinematic you guys released before the game. if thats not aliens idk what is.