Pre-Order Numbers?

rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello. Newly registered and just purchased the game via Steam. Sad that I cannot get the beta and have to wait, (unless you guys want to tell me something) but I was wondering is there going to be a release on the pre-order + sale numbers? How many people are expected to play this game? I play games with both large communities (Starcraft II) and small (RTCW, no master server, add 1 server left by IP only and about 30 guys play still 3-4 hours during the day maybe) and it's always a bummer when the game community shrinks or is smaller than you would like. This is especially true for competitive play.

Counter Strike Global Offensive has turned into a failure, pulling about 17k players per day. Source pulls about 35 and 1.6 50k.
It makes it hard in matchmaking when no one is on. Long story short what is projected longevity of this game?

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993016:date=Oct 17 2012, 06:25 PM:name=rmbrown09)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rmbrown09 @ Oct 17 2012, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Long story short what is projected longevity of this game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There isn't one.
  • GirTurkeyGirTurkey Join Date: 2005-03-03 Member: 43040Members
    well, there are about 40k of us who have owned the game for 2 years. so there's that. however, there are often only about 100-200 people on at most times, except for right after new patches which usually bump towards 300+

comp scene is really gaining steam, and will provide many opportunities right when release hits which should retain a good number of people.

I'm here for the long haul, hopefully a bunch of the preorderers are too.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IIRC, something like 40k have preordered the game. The active playercounts are only a fraction of that (you can check the number using <a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">NanoGrid</a> at any given time), but its enough to have some good matches pretty much any time of the day.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1993016:date=Oct 17 2012, 04:25 PM:name=rmbrown09)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rmbrown09 @ Oct 17 2012, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Counter Strike Global Offensive has turned into a failure, pulling about 17k players per day. Source pulls about 35 and 1.6 50k.
    It makes it hard in matchmaking when no one is on. Long story short what is projected longevity of this game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure what 17k translates into in terms of concurrent players which is most important. NS2 will have longer play times than CSGO for sure, since 1 round takes ~10-20 minutes. Also CSGO has a very international audience so 17k people can be spread across the globe making matchmaking harder.

NS2 does not have as global an audience, perhaps regretfully. In beta it is mostly NA and EU with some aussies, so regional servers tend to be full during prime time hours. That said, if this game gets more than 17k daily users I will be pleasantly surprised. I don't expect it.

This game does not currently have sophisticated matchmaking although it does have a "gather" feature that no one is using. People use the server list like cavemen. What are the wait times for matchmaking in CSGO?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    The developers are clearly betting on a strategy of longevity, with new features and frequent patches well after 1.0. Given that there's another 40k people on top of the first 40k with keys and then an unknown, but according to UWE consistent, number of new pre-orders coming in, I think it's safe to say that upon release day there will be several tens of thousands of players playing the game. (Obviously though that number will then drop quite a bit to then stabilize in the following weeks)

Then there's also the modding aspect, with great mods like NS2C and Combat, among others and a truckload of custom maps, I reckon community created content with keep this game alive for quite some time, even when or if vanilla fails to deliver.

If its popularity is anything like NS1's, which shouldn't be a problem, then I'm sure a large portion of the community is going to stick around for many years.

P.S. who needs matchmaking? What's wrong with oldskool server browsing. Click and play, any time of the day.
  • middlemanmiddleman Join Date: 2005-07-18 Member: 56200Members
    I love this game : )
  • SherwoodSherwood Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157696Members
    also it should be noted that aside from preorders, there are the special people who paid 40$ for the game waaaay back when it was just a twinkle in UWE's eye because we wanted to support a blooming indie company and a great game. Those people who paid 40 dollars are getting a free key to give out to a friend/who ever they want. So you can pretty much double the number of 40 dollar preorders as well, I think uwe has secured a very good playerbase for this game.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1993016:date=Oct 17 2012, 04:25 PM:name=rmbrown09)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rmbrown09 @ Oct 17 2012, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Counter Strike Global Offensive has turned into a failure, pulling about 17k players per day. Source pulls about 35 and 1.6 50k.
    It makes it hard in matchmaking when no one is on. Long story short what is projected longevity of this game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

17,000 concurrent players if faaaar from a failure. Very few games can claim that high of a player count.

I guarantee NS2 won't be die like most indie games do. It has a very dedicated community, it's better than most AAA multiplayer games out there and on launch day Unknown Worlds is giving away 45,000 copies of NS2 so there will be plenty of people to play with. With word of mouth more and more people will purchase this game because it's so unique and well done. Basically NS2 is awesome and WON'T be a failure.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1993075:date=Oct 17 2012, 09:38 PM:name=Sherwood)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sherwood @ Oct 17 2012, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1993075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those people who paid 40 dollars are getting a free key to give out to a friend/who ever they want.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everyone who pre ordered before steam got an extra copy.
  • ScubboScubbo Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161364Members
    paying for the game is different to continued play of the game.