Hive teleport and Res for Kill

Comments

• Uh-OhUh-Oh Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6917Members
    Celerity cannot be the answer for defensive movement.
    Here is why:
    - New players can't even find places, namely hives or RTs. Thus celerity often makes them go the wrong way faster.
    - Celerity needs to have been researched, which is not a certainty.
    - Celerity has to be chosen by the player VS other movement upgrades.

So, weither they add hive/shift/magic teleportation or not, I can say that I do not agree that celerity is a real solution for map movement.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991563:date=Oct 15 2012, 01:25 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 15 2012, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing to consider with regards to teleporting is presence. If marines want a phase gate somewhere, their needs to be no infestation, and there needs to be at least one marine their to build it. Marines must first have presence in an area before they can teleport there, which means you can stop them.

For aliens to teleport somewhere, they wouldn't need any presence. The hive can be dropped and grown without anyone even being in the room, making it, in a sense, unstoppable. I'm looking at this from the perspective that teleporting to an unbuilt hive would not be possible, but lets be honest. If that element of it was removed, there would undoubtedly be people complaining that its not the way it was implemented in NS1, and that it should be brought back and that UWE are noobs who need to play competitively etc etc. Imagine an instantly droppable hive which you can teleport to right away, and you don't even need anyone near it to begin with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The main difference here that you seem to have forgotten is that in NS1 you needed a gorge to drop that hive. Not the case in NS2. Therefore not being able to teleport to an unbuilt hive in NS2 makes sense, where in NS1 it doesnt make sense. Since you've already needed that 'presence' in NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991731:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:32 AM:name=VeNeM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VeNeM @ Oct 15 2012, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991731"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why do aliens need an arbitrary cost placed on their hive movement. it worked fine in ns1 without cost and it would work fine now. and even then how does that fix the stupid people complaining about spending too much time as skulk. youre going to spend even more time as skulk because you dont have pres for kills and youre spending res on simply moving around.. why dont we place a tax on jetpack/exo fuel and as a jp/exo moves around it eats team res.... yes thats a BRILLIANT IDEA!!!!!! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ive said it to you before, I'll say it to you again. NS2 =/= NS1. Did gorges have to build structures in NS1? Was heavy armor affected by beacon in NS1? Both just a couple examples of how movement has changed between the two games.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Could just make it a tech option if you're that concerned about costs, either way, hive teleport AND egg choosing needs to come back imo. Celerity simply doesn't cut it.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991784:date=Oct 15 2012, 11:29 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 15 2012, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ive said it to you before, I'll say it to you again. NS2 =/= NS1. Did gorges have to build structures in NS1? Was heavy armor affected by beacon in NS1? Both just a couple examples of how movement has changed between the two games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you say that like ns1 was entirely scrapped, obviously ukw treated ns1 like a salad bar, picked what they wanted and left the rest. so how come you make that argument only when it fits your argument. ns2 at its core is STILL ns1 so youre incorrect about that as well.
    The fact of the matter is that NS2 is different enough from NS1 to make "it works in NS1 so why wouldn't it work in NS2!?" a flimsy argument at best.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991816:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:06 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 15 2012, 10:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fact of the matter is that NS2 is different enough from NS1 to make "it works in NS1 so why wouldn't it work in NS2!?" a flimsy argument at best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

unfortunately pointing out that an argument is "flimsy" isn't an argument either.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991877:date=Oct 15 2012, 09:00 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 15 2012, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->unfortunately pointing out that an argument is "flimsy" isn't an argument either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually it is.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991889:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:15 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 15 2012, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It really isn't. If you have no counter-argument against it, no specific flaws you can call out to debunk it, the point's ability to stand is independent of its "flimsiness".

Not saying whether this argument does or does not have flaws, just discussing general point-rebuttal format.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1991576:date=Oct 15 2012, 07:30 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 15 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For classes like the gorge, whose average KPM is far lower than the other classes, this would leave them in a worse off position. Do we really want to punish people for going Gorge? People who are already having to spend resources "for the team" as it were?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is a bogus and fallacious argument if you see the gorge as a role in its own right, with its own effort-reward system and which can be fun to play for different reasons. If that's not the case, then we have a problem that we need to address long before we even think about how the rfk affects it. Your premise, without you knowing it, is actually that the gorge is boring and sucks - you wouldn't be worried about it being "punished" otherwise because you'd be thinking about the other rewards associated with it, working to offset that particular drawback.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Hive teleportation seems like the obvious choice for everyone who played NS1. The "need a presence there first" argument seems flawed. There is a hive. How much more presence could aliens actually have. And even then the teleportation is still limited to tech points. So you can't just teleport "anywhere". Lock it for growing hives if you must.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991935:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:20 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Oct 15 2012, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991935"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hive teleportation seems like the obvious choice for everyone who played NS1. The "need a presence there first" argument seems flawed. There is a hive. How much more presence could aliens actually have. And even then the teleportation is still limited to tech points. So you can't just teleport "anywhere". Lock it for growing hives if you must.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In multiplayer games I typically regard presence as at least having an actual player there.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991941:date=Oct 15 2012, 03:37 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 15 2012, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In multiplayer games I typically regard presence as at least having an actual player there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If I put up a PG in Double and Pipeline, having units in my base or in Pipeline gives me a presence in Double despite not having anybody occupying the room. This is because I can send units to defend, build, or attack other locations from that room as though they were there at a moment's notice.
    Stupid arguing. In this context 'if its okay for apples its okay for oranges' is just as flimsy as 'your argument is flimsy'. There.

And christ I'm an advocate for an emergency hive teleport. I'm just one of the few people being realistic and not making huge demands. Instead I'm offering suggestions to balance it out so that maybe it'll actually get in the game.
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    edited October 2012
    "Presence" is best described as a teams ability to exert influence in a room as tech pointed out. If you have a pg/armory/mines in a room you have a lot of presence.

Anyway, I'm ok with only being able to teleport to a finished hive. I would be ok with aliens needing to hold e on a hive for a few seconds based on the type of lifeform they are to channel teleportation like a nydus worm, 5 seconds for a skulk, 20 for an onos or something. That said, the mechanic is glaringly needed. Right now marines with a pg have the defenders advantage while attacking the aliens home. If they kill the eggs you have a situation where marines essentially spawn into the alien hive and aliens can't. This along with rushes that aliens can't respond to in time on chambers etc is the biggest balance time in both public and competitive games.

On another note, as someone transitioning from ns1 to ns2, lack of hive teleportion is the thing that makes ns2 feel incredibly clunky and unfun to play as aliens. Running 30 seconds to find a fight every time you die is really slow/boring.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991945:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:45 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 15 2012, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I put up a PG in Double and Pipeline, having units in my base or in Pipeline gives me a presence in Double despite not having anybody occupying the room. This is because I can send units to defend, build, or attack other locations from that room as though they were there at a moment's notice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not saying you need permanent presence, but you need to have had presence before gaining the ability to teleport to a location. Well, I'm not saying you NEED to have it, it would just be preferable in my opinion. To be honest I dislike the whole idea of simply being able to drop a hive anywhere on the map. Seems silly really. But that is a topic for another discussion.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991949:date=Oct 15 2012, 09:48 PM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 15 2012, 09:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stupid arguing. In this context 'if its okay for apples its okay for oranges' is just as flimsy as 'your argument is flimsy'. There.

And christ I'm an advocate for an emergency hive teleport. I'm just one of the few people being realistic and not making huge demands. Instead I'm offering suggestions to balance it out so that maybe it'll actually get in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The restriction-suggestions made by now would lead to being changed again after implemented. Just like lerk bilebomb. Some things just work, no need for more experiments. I know what you mean, but you are implying that the devs cannot see what's going on. Why wouldn't they implement hive teleport? I mean there are lots of statements made in this thread, but no one ever said my observations are wrong. There has to be done something, ad it just has to be right. Not nerfed.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991956:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:01 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 15 2012, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not saying you need permanent presence, but you need to have had presence before gaining the ability to teleport to a location. Well, I'm not saying you NEED to have it, it would just be preferable in my opinion. To be honest I dislike the whole idea of simply being able to drop a hive anywhere on the map. Seems silly really. But that is a topic for another discussion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still it would be enough to teleport when an unbuilt hive is attacked or another alien presses 'use' on it. That's how it is in NS1. I played NS1 yesterday and someone said 'USE THE HIVE' and the others said 'no one's in there, dammit'. I liked it and it solves your problem.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1991941:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:37 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 15 2012, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In multiplayer games I typically regard presence as at least having an actual player there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last I checked SC2 was a multiplayer game. Do you want to reconsider?
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991969:date=Oct 15 2012, 09:13 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Oct 15 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991969"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last I checked SC2 was a multiplayer game. Do you want to reconsider?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And anyways, NS1 hive teleport required an alien there to +use a growing hive before you could tele through. That also added fun and tactics in its own way.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991929:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:14 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Oct 15 2012, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a bogus and fallacious argument if you see the gorge as a role in its own right, with its own effort-reward system and which can be fun to play for different reasons. If that's not the case, then we have a problem that we need to address long before we even think about how the rfk affects it. Your premise, without you knowing it, is actually that the gorge is boring and sucks - you wouldn't be worried about it being "punished" otherwise because you'd be thinking about the other rewards associated with it, working to offset that particular drawback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The degree to which words have been put in my mouth leave me feeling horribly violated.

In all seriousness, though, you are completely incorrect, startlingly so. You seem to think that I am saying that reduced income as Gorge is unfair because it means you have to be gorge for a longer period of time, which no person in their right mind would want. However, this is not the case. Resource acquisition is a part of the game, and doing it benefits your team. A person who joins aliens 10 minutes into a game is less valuable than someone who has been there since the start and has 50 res, even though both are skulks.

By lowering the res flow of a lifeform, you effectively lower the contribution that person makes to the team because, believe it or not, in an RTS hybrid, resources are important.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You're arguing ceteris paribus though and you just can't do that because each lifeform operates differently. The reduced res flow is just one consequence of going gorge but it need not be the overriding one (there are positive ones too, obviously). Arguing that i'm putting words in your mouth is a little ironic when you then completely misunderstand the point i'm making - when did I even mention anything close to the length of time spent gorging?

Claiming that "reduced resflow for gorge is bad because he doesn't have enough offsetting advantages" is far more sound than arguing that "reduced resflow is bad for gorge, fullstop". That's why I contend that you're using a premise without knowing it.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1992141:date=Oct 16 2012, 07:37 AM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Oct 16 2012, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arguing that i'm putting words in your mouth is a little ironic when you then completely misunderstand the point i'm making - when did I even mention anything close to the length of time spent gorging?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True

I suppose we disagree about res flow needing to remain constant. I personally do not think UWE want to try and include res flow in lifeform balance. It would make things incredibly complicated.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991509:date=Oct 15 2012, 11:42 AM:name=ChickenOfWar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChickenOfWar @ Oct 15 2012, 11:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Look the fact of the matter is at least this way theres a chance some type of hive teleport will happen. Any other way (such as an onos being to teleport between hives) is probably not going to happen. At least with my idea there are some parallels to the way its balanced for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would make hypermutation slightly more worth getting too, hive under attack? ###### downgrade to something.
    <!--quoteo(post=1992145:date=Oct 16 2012, 07:58 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Oct 16 2012, 07:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would make hypermutation slightly more worth getting too, hive under attack? ###### downgrade to something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the outcome, just not the mechanic that causes it.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    I dont mind the hive teleport, ns1 had it, it worked? I think people are thinking for some reason that it will be instant teleport to destination. You still have to get to the first hive before TPing to the 2nd one.

And in NS1 you could only TP to the two furthest hives? So you cant really choose where you want your destination to be unlike a PG(comms choice), and you cant instantly start defending said attacked hive, and to just drum it home, you still have to travel to the first hive to get to the 2nd give. Unlike beacon which instantly TP's all team members.
    Why do people keep saying that you teleport from the hive? You teleport from the movement chamber.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Aliens need hive teleport because its way too easy on veil and on close-spawns to essentially eco 1 hive lock without actually securing the 4th techpoint. It's part of the reason we see so much pre-dominance of pg first.

Celerity was supposed to be the design fill-in by making aliens super fast when not taking damage. It obviously isn't going in that direction anymore, so why hive teleport isn't in the game is anyone's guess.

*edit*
    as for rfk, i don't think it really matters as much as getting rid of rfd first.
    <!--quoteo(post=1992162:date=Oct 16 2012, 10:03 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Oct 16 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens need hive teleport because its way too easy on veil and on close-spawns to essentially eco 1 hive lock without actually securing the 4th techpoint. It's part of the reason we see so much pre-dominance of pg first.

Celerity was supposed to be the design fill-in by making aliens super fast when not taking damage. It obviously isn't going in that direction anymore, so why hive teleport isn't in the game is anyone's guess.

*edit*
    as for rfk, i don't think it really matters as much as getting rid of rfd first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you mean that on specific maps the lack of alien teleport is a balance issue? Or did you mean on all maps? I can't tell.

Anyway, in general, what needs to be avoided is the notion of balancing to address an issue encountered in a specific map. Doing so will obviously distort the balance of other maps. Such things are better left to the map creators to ensure balance in each individual level.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1992160:date=Oct 16 2012, 07:53 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Oct 16 2012, 07:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1992160"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do people keep saying that you teleport from the hive? You teleport from the movement chamber.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For 75% of NS1's lifetime this was not the case. It was cloned over to the hive in v3.0 at some point.