Ranking/Ladder

TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
edited October 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hi

I would propose a new idea to motivate ppl to spent time in the game.

It's to implement two kind of grade in the game

_One that represent the total games played/won in your life, representative of your <b>experience</b>
_Another one that represent Your skill over the last played week for example.

So we can imagine military grade like :
Sergent, caporal, lieutenant, Commander & co.

To represent the experience, and identifiy the rookies & very good player.

And a number of star, or a specifique color (silver, gold) on the icon, to represent the skill, ratio death/kill over the last week etc.

For example
A Three star Sergent.
Or a Gold Sergent.

With a specific icon for each grade in the "TAB" menu, next to death / kill, etc.

What do you think of this ? In a general Idea.

Comments

• statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    A game like NS can be destroyed by too much K/D whoring. Sometimes I get a bad ratio when i'm skulking but I may have solod 3Rts in the early-mid game. K/D rewards discourage strategical gameplay.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    Its a general Idea.
    Your Death kill are already available to see on the TAB pannel, and is discouraging killing RT.

With grade you can ponderate action without saying the formula.

A formula where you take into account :
    _Rt /building killed
    _Kill
    _Deaths
    _Win ratio
    _some other info like buildings built
    _Weld things

Its a general Idea.

And like i said, we arelady have the "kill/death" number available, and its the only one available, so it couldn't be worse anyway.
  • PikachuPikachu Join Date: 2012-10-03 Member: 161437Members
    I'd prefer if K/D were removed (optionally) through servers, if only by omitting D, and that 2 summary stats be entirely reflective of WinRatio & PlayTime, WinRatio_AsMainCommander & Playtime_AsMainCommander. e.g. [log(PlayTime) + WinRatio]. Place more emphasis on score e.g. Tribes.

I'll also recommend having a different summary stat for each race and that results follow rage quitters. Finally, enable servers (mods) to query the rankings for decisions, votes, balancing, ect.

Pikachu has spoken.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree. Remove kills and deaths from the tab menu but leave the score system. If you want a ladder system talk to the ns2stats people. Maybe implement it that way or better yet, only on ns2stats.org
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    We are creating a ladder at ns2league.com.

This is a clan ladder though, not sure what else will be running entirely. Website is not up yet, but there is a thread about in the Squad5 forum.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Kills and deaths on the scoreboard are useful for those who can look past their egos. They shouldn't be removed.

The OP's suggestion is a neat idea of fluff, but I don't think it is necessary or very informative. It's just extra stuff. I don't think it is beneficial enough to warrant developer time on it, but I think it would be a cool idea as a mod. It could pull statistics from ns2stats.org for the title breakdowns.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    What you are suggesting is some form of end game. Games which are strictly multiplayer only do not need end game. In fact, the primary reason people like short lived games, like those predominantly seen in FPS, is because there is nothing past the single round that you play. Nobody wants this.
    edited October 2012
    In fact, If you know how things works on video games.

You'll consider two things :

1_ not everyone is a pure beta tester waiting NS since 10years , to play it the more "pure" way, elitist. Blaming ego and everything

2_ To make a game work, and get money, and get feature, you need to make ppl play it.

3_ To make ppl play it, and stay on it, you need to Add some achievements in the long term.

Like they did in World of warcraft (If you win 900 battleground you'll have some distinction) over all the others players, etc, and all the others useless achievement they added to make you spent time on the game ).
    Ego is very usefull tool to make a game successful, and make ppl continuing to play.

NS should use it.

For exemple : when i'm boring, and i dont want to play, maybe getting some achievement would make me play instead of looking a video on youtube.

Its my example, but I think i'm not the only one.

And keep in mind, we are on a Beta Test forum.
    So most of ppl here are fanboy and elitist. You're the majority here.
    But you'll be the minority after.

Not thinking about end game perspective, is what killed a lot of game. Ppl left and never came back.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991650:date=Oct 15 2012, 01:53 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Oct 15 2012, 01:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3_ To make ppl play it, and stay on it, you need to Add some achievements in the long term.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Counter strike says hi.
    COD says hi.
    Halo says hi.

You are thinking of NS2 like an RPG. When you are playing a role, character building, and thus end game, is extremely important, its true. In games which are multiplayer exclusively, especially first person shooters, end game is not what the target audience wants, because playing the game itself is the end game. You can compare it to a sport. Do people not like playing football because there's no end game? Just the same thing over and over again without any progression?
    No. Because they just enjoy playing the game.
    edited October 2012
    I have a very long experience playing all type of game.
    I'm just making sense here, to make this game better.

I never play CS, COD or Halo cuz of lack of achievement.

Every "BIG" studio has understood it, those two past year.
    And CS is a lot more accessible than NS.
    You log, you kill, you log out.

You can continue to argue the fact YOU dont need it, But It would be worth it to implement it in the game.

Anyway I checked, and there is a lot of ppl here, just staying on this forum to Counter-argue every idea proposed, and feel clever.
    I call this trolling.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991656:date=Oct 15 2012, 02:07 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Oct 15 2012, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never play CS, COD or Halo cuz of lack of achievement.

Every "BIG" studio has understood it, those two past year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully, one day, Valve, Activision and Microsoft will understand it, and become BIG studios.
    Microsoft has understood it with one of his last computer game, age of mythology. (Rating) and everothers before them.
    Activision (blizzard) has understood it With Wow, Starcraft, Diablo, (Achievements).

Valve.. I dont consider it to be a really big studio. They have Only CounterStrike.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991670:date=Oct 15 2012, 01:52 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Oct 15 2012, 01:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Valve.. I dont consider it to be a really big studio. They have Only CounterStrike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Counter-Strike wasn't developed by Valve :P

Although HL Series, TF2, CS:S, CS:GO, Portal Series, Left4Dead Series and DoD:S are.

Also Microsoft and Activision are Publishers, not Development Studios.. They hire little development studios to make their games for them, or buy little development studios to destroy..

Valve are a big Studio, and I would have to argue that with their Steam works, Valve really drove Achievements into the main stream. Your last few posts suggest you haven't played a lot of games, especially since almost all games released on steam, included all those I've mentioned above released by Valve, use the Steamworks API, and thus have achievements systems built into them.

This game will hopefully have achievements, but a persistent ladder/ranking, well that has already been developed by NS2Stats.org.

Surely if you read the forums a bit more, you'd realise all this has been discussed and most of it is in place already. In fact ns2stats has been whitelisted in the NS2 code, so any servers running NS2stats are still considered pure servers. So what you are asking for is already in place...

I consider you to be a troll, and here I am feeding you, then I am going to program some more mods...
    You dont get it.
    Ns2Stats interest "pure" players.

If you dont get any distinctive sign Inside the basic Game , It won't work.

Players LOVE to have some distinction over the others. Of skill, of investment, everything that can make them different.

That's why this studio decided to propose a Special Skin for preorder.
    That's why on League of legend, ppl spent money for SKIN.
    thats why ppl keep playing for hours to World of warcraft etc.

PPL want their effort to be paid by special distinction, available to the eyes of everyones without having them to "search" on a special website.

That's an EGO thing. but well, we are who we are..
    a lot of PPL want to play for EGO, (Counter strike, you want to be on the top of killers for example).
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    I may agree that k/d isn't the greatest sampling of skill or more importantly team contribution. But I am a fan of knowing my enemy, ex if they have a player who is 35-5 I should be a little careful with my fade because he probably won't miss with his shot gun where as if he is 5 - 25 then I can probably shadow step one more time and get him.

In the end the 5-25 may be the MVP ninjaing a pg and killing 8 rts but I want to know when I'm playing against someone who can aim.

On a second note as a commander I reward those who value life, I can't count the number of times Iv heard someone ask for an exo or onos and seen a com give them one(at a cost of all our tres) only to hit tab and see that player at the bottom of the stats with 1 kill and 15 death. I'm sorry but NO. Then watch said person walk out of base with an exo by himself and head strait for the hive only to get taken down by 2 skulks.... If you don't value your life why would you value our tech.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only ladder should be games won/lost, in a clan scrim environment.

Anything else is a recipe for frustration (for those who care), especially with the broken scoring system, and the lack of meaning of the "K/D" numbers in the game. A really good gorge player can have a completely crap K/D, small score, and then s/he gets the lowest rank and gets labeled a rookie? Nope.jpg
    Thats why I wanted some recognition in the "tab" pannel, for ppl who get à lot of "WIN".
    That would encourage ppl making the team win, instead of being selfish and just caring about their death/kill ratio.
    An indicator of skill but that include team play (ratio of games won) and not only aiming..

And I wanted some recognition (but different one) for ppl who spend a lot of time playing.
    some reward for giving their time playing, and an indicator of experience. (not skill)

It should encourage and reward ppl, playing a lot, and playing well, in two different maneer.