Go back to waiting room F4 abuse.

MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Too many leaving game and going to waiting room before game ends.</div>Why do we have this option? It is very abusive and everyone who is on the losing team uses it before the game is over. Making the teams very un-even and just killing the mood. If you going to lose, please lose with dignity and don't go to the waiting room or F4 to the waiting room. Please consider removing this option all together.. I rather have them leave the server than just have them waiting in the waiting room till the game ends.

Comments

• Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited October 2012
    please consider the point of view of the people on the losing team. NS2 has an RTS element, this means that one team can gain so much momentum that it becomes impossible for the other team to win. Why force the losing team to play out a round they already lost? It isn't fun.

If anything some official method of conceding should be added in.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Boohoo I wanted to spawn kill the other team for 5 minutes before ending the game.

Seriously when the game is over there is nothing wrong with speeding it up and resigning. Especially when you are aliens, where 1 hive is game over currently.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991437:date=Oct 14 2012, 03:14 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 14 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please consider the point of view of the people on the losing team. NS2 has an RTS element, this means that one team can gain so much momentum that it becomes impossible for the other team to win. Why force the losing team to play out a round they already lost? It isn't fun.

If anything some official method of conceding should be added in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see it has a really bad habit. I never F4 or went to the waiting room when we are about to lose. And, trust me I lose many times more than I win, I always choose the underdog team. But, too many are using it has way to end the game quickly as a result killing any chances of rebounding since they are in the waiting room blocking any new players from coming in to actually wanting to help. It is nothing but a bad habit and it making the servers full when half the players are just hanging in the waiting room.
  • unkindunkind Join Date: 2012-02-04 Member: 143563Members
    add a callvote: concede, f1 = yes f2 = no, if above 50% losing team gives up

remove ability to return to ready room.

problem completely solved

also, callvote elect commander "name"

callvote impeach commander "name"

callvote map (think its already in)

callvote nextmap

callvote scramble teams

callvote even teams

callvote kick "name"

callvote ban "name"

callvote restartmatch

just add all this ######, it's not complicated and it would go a long way lol
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991437:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:14 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 14 2012, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If anything some official method of conceding should be added in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

I don't think that'll solve the issues with people conceding before the game is well and truly over. Often, all that's required is the team to coordinate and hit a single target together to take it out and turn the game around, yet people will still f4 in this scenario. The trick is working out where to draw the line as to when it's clear the game is well and truly over and no amount of teamwork will change the outcome. However, often this is decided for you as even if your whole team doesn't f4, some of them will, and then you're not only fighting a losing game, but with unbalanced teams. It would be nice to put it down to a majority vote, so if people want to concede, but the majority don't, they don't ruin it for the others who still think there's still hope. Likewise, if the majority think it's well and truly over, the small minority of players still determined to keep playing doesn't draw out the game unneccesarily and hold up the others just wanting to start a new game.
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1991437:date=Oct 14 2012, 05:14 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 14 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If anything some official method of conceding should be added in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is, it is done using the method that is being criticized.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The server will now end the game if the teams are too unbalanced. This can be configured by the server admin. It can be toggled and the unbalance percent can be changed (defaults to 40% unbalanced).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    How are you going to force people to continue playing? You don't.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991434:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:02 PM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 14 2012, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why do we have this option? It is very abusive and everyone who is on the losing team uses it before the game is over. Making the teams very un-even and just killing the mood. If you going to lose, please lose with dignity and don't go to the waiting room or F4 to the waiting room. Please consider removing this option all together.. I rather have them leave the server than just have them waiting in the waiting room till the game ends.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dunno what your definition of dignity is but for me it is not playing through a bitter 20 minutes of losing game. Just swallow your pride and say 'good game' when you know the game is a loss and start another one. Just like the pros that make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year playing video games do. You think they dont 'lose with dignity'? (unless they're idra of course)
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991459:date=Oct 14 2012, 03:58 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Oct 14 2012, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How are you going to force people to continue playing? You don't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is why they should just leave the server and not stay in the waiting room blocking new players from entering. If they want to quit before the game leave the server, so others can join. Right now that is not possible since many go on strike and just wait it out in the waiting room. I say remove that option and have them leave the server, so others can join.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991470:date=Oct 14 2012, 08:10 PM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 14 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is why they should just leave the server and not stay in the waiting room blocking new players from entering. If they want to quit before the game leave the server, so others can join. Right now that is not possible since many go on strike and just wait it out in the waiting room. I say remove that option and have them leave the server, so others can join.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't think you're being the slightest bit unreasonable? You KNOW FOR A FACT that you're going to lose the game and still your opinion is that people should leave the server rather than just start a new game. And this makes sense to you?

You're not gaining anything by sitting in a losing game. You're just wasting your own time, getting stomped by the other team. You don't come back often from strategy games. This isn't counter strike where maybe that last person on your team could get lucky head shots on everyone on the enemy team.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I don't see what the big deal is, if the game is clearly over, go next. Why drag it out for another 10 - 20 minutes with marines sitting in their spawn gl-spamming the exits? The new F4 system is already pretty much a 'concede vote' in this regard, since it only ends the game if enough players on one team F4 or quit.

Due to the underlying RTS mechanics, there's a point in every game at which you can clearly tell it's game over. Playing on beyond that point is not only incredibly frustrating for the losing side, it's also plain boring. Sure it's no fun when you are winning and just get EXOS only then to have the game end because aliens give up, but as with any strategy-element game, the losing side gets to make that call.

Games are only fun up to a point where you still have a fighting chance, beyond that, in an FPS environment particularly, you shouldn't force people to sit through the 'slippery slope' mechanism (with one side having a clear tech advantage allowing them to dominate the other) kicking them in the nuts.

The bigger problem really is that unlike marines, aliens have almost NO chance of making a comeback if they lose their second tech point (hive). As a result, some games feel like they end prematurely, but that is only really because the alien players fully realise they stand no chance fighting marines lategame at 1 hive. UWE needs to address this to some extent imo.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the game is over it is over. F4 it.

F4 can be abused though. Last night I was playing in a pub and this one guy f4'd saying it was over when it was not. He spent 15 minutes telling us how the game was soooooo over. He got 2 other people to join him also. To his dismay, we won.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991470:date=Oct 14 2012, 08:10 PM:name=Mango)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mango @ Oct 14 2012, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is why they should just leave the server and not stay in the waiting room blocking new players from entering. If they want to quit before the game leave the server, so others can join. Right now that is not possible since many go on strike and just wait it out in the waiting room. I say remove that option and have them leave the server, so others can join.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except when new players join in and see the game is over, they will most likely wait until the game is over to play anyways (at least i do)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Thats because you can tell that you are going to lose a long time before you actually lose in 8/10 cases. And in the other 2/10 people are just trigger happy.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    It's common etiquette to bow out when you know the game is done. Judging when you reach that point is another matter entirely though, and people's opinions vary.

It does annoy me when people F4 far too early. As an extreme example, had a couple of guys rage F4 literally not even three minutes into the round. Left us 2 people down for a long time.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    edited October 2012
    what is a conceding function gonna do? if you want to join the RR and they remove f4 'retry' is just as good as any.

I think its fine as it is, its silly to make people play a frustrating losing battle just because the other team is having fun pwning. They won, its over.

The thing that annoys me is that in some game you can tell a team is gonna win by 10mins. ie marines have 70% RT's for 10 mins and you are forced to defend your hive(the result in not dropping fast 2nd hive)
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    Why are these threads still popping up? Can't there be a forum FAQ "F4, it's here, it's staying."

I can understand discussion about features, but this has been discussed since 2002. Get over it. Should be insta-lock criteria by now.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    If people leave and others see a 12/16 server they'll go OOOooo yess and then join to see an 8 v 4 with one team five minutes from losing. How is that better than people idling in the lobby?

I reckon the people who are anti-f4 are those with ns2 as their only hobby. I've got better ###### to do than get killed as an egg for 10 minutes.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991544:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:42 PM:name=DanielD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanielD @ Oct 14 2012, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If people leave and others see a 12/16 server they'll go OOOooo yess and then join to see an 8 v 4 with one team five minutes from losing. How is that better than people idling in the lobby?

I reckon the people who are anti-f4 are those with ns2 as their only hobby. I've got better ###### to do than get killed as an egg for 10 minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As it works now if the teams are that imbalanced the game will just end. After that you can all be happy starting another game where you actually have a chance of winning.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I quite often go to spectator once all possibility of winning is gone (15min+)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    If you want to remove F4, then remove Marines ability to recycle IPs because F4 is basically the same thing for the Alien side.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    remove f4 and ill just type "retry" in console. Does the same thing and i dont mind the wasted time.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    What people is missing out is that I don't think the OP is talking about the same thing as you all do (PS: after rereading, he does :p)

Yes F4 can be legit if you are obviously losing. But F4 can also ruin a lot of games.
    I played 3 hours today and was on an horrible server (others were full), a lot of whiners, trash, and 'F4ers'.
    We nearly never finished a single game, it was so frustrating... and I am not talking about losing, we were never losing. Never.
    Each time something wasn't pleasing to some people, they just F4 in mass and... done. Can't even continue to play while <b>we had every chances to win</b>.

I think the percentage should be really, <b>REALLY</b> decreased to prevent that kind of comportment.
    The problem is that not everybody is here to have a good experience, and some are just here to ruin games, or are just blind, or always have a defeatist attitude and always think "oh it's lost, screw that and screw all the people on the server".
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1991508:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:41 PM:name=EgoGamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EgoGamer @ Oct 14 2012, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's common etiquette to bow out when you know the game is done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I dont get this... as this may be the case in comp games, but does not apply in public games.

Myself, as well as some others i know actually want to finish a game.. like actually enjoy the ending moments of blowing up your base? I consider that to be fun and the apex of a round.. something i've helped earn - Not some automatic win and then a splash screen?

I just wish others who also want to have fun, and who also probably enjoy the last few seconds of a round wouldn't steal that experience away from other players (new players too..) all because they couldn't wait a little bit longer?

Everyone plays to have fun.. so the few moments you aren't cant you guys just suck it up and allow the other team to have theirs that they have earned?
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991788:date=Oct 15 2012, 08:31 AM:name=Regnareb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Regnareb @ Oct 15 2012, 08:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What people is missing out is that I don't think the OP is talking about the same thing as you all do (PS: after rereading, he does :p)

Yes F4 can be legit if you are obviously losing. But F4 can also ruin a lot of games.
    I played 3 hours today and was on an horrible server (others were full), a lot of whiners, trash, and 'F4ers'.
    We nearly never finished a single game, it was so frustrating... and I am not talking about losing, we were never losing. Never.
    Each time something wasn't pleasing to some people, they just F4 in mass and... done. Can't even continue to play while <b>we had every chances to win</b>.

I think the percentage should be really, <b>REALLY</b> decreased to prevent that kind of comportment.
    The problem is that not everybody is here to have a good experience, and some are just here to ruin games, or are just blind, or always have a defeatist attitude and always think "oh it's lost, screw that and screw all the people on the server".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are also a TON of people who don't understand when a game is lost, or why its lost. If for the first 10 minutse of the game the marines have 6+ rts and your your second hive goes down, guess what, there is no chance you are coming back from that. If you have been on 3rts as aliens the entire game and when you finally manage to get a few fades and maybe an onos egg and then your team loses all their higher life forms....same story.

Likewise if the aliens have managed to secure 4-5rts for much of the game, its 10minuets in and you just got weapons 1 and your strugling to hold 2 tech points, marines are fd.

Sure MAYBE you could score some sort of major upset by knocking out a power node, but then did you really win becuase you deserved it, or becuase the other team/comm just messed up.

I play to win, and to win by skill, I'm not playing to watch some pretty explosions as alot of the pro play it out people seem to be. IMO Theres nothing worse then a 20minute camping session by the marines. with JP GLs etc.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited October 2012
    You are one who is blind precisely :p
    Just joking.

I see what you mean, but it's nearly never totally lost, we can see that in tournaments, and in NS1. You can nearly always turn the situation around, and even if you can't how can you know without even trying?
    You would be surprised how many times that happened, perhaps lesser in NS2, but it still happens. People just have to try. And it's there that the game is the most funny.
    Because having always the same kind of games is ok at first, but it becomes very boring... it's always better when you have to fight it hard.

Reversing the situation is not necessarily that the other team messed up, and even if it's the case, all teams mess up at any time, it's part of the game, and it removes nothing to the skill.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991798:date=Oct 15 2012, 10:44 AM:name=statikg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (statikg @ Oct 15 2012, 10:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are also a TON of people who don't understand when a game is lost, or why its lost. If for the first 10 minutse of the game the marines have 6+ rts and your your second hive goes down, guess what, there is no chance you are coming back from that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree slightly. Couple days ago we did this. Marines took out second hive, had jetpacks and most of map. Aliens still won, because marines were idiots and decided to sit back and wait until exosuits (thinking they wanted a stomp victory?). In that time we built 2 more hives, then demolished their exo train.

F4 would have been a good option if we failed to redrop though. We redropped immediately, and if that had failed then its clearly lost.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991789:date=Oct 15 2012, 12:32 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Oct 15 2012, 12:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont get this... as this may be the case in comp games, but does not apply in public games.

Myself, as well as some others i know actually want to finish a game.. like actually enjoy the ending moments of blowing up your base? I consider that to be fun and the apex of a round.. something i've helped earn - Not some automatic win and then a splash screen?

I just wish others who also want to have fun, and who also probably enjoy the last few seconds of a round wouldn't steal that experience away from other players (new players too..) all because they couldn't wait a little bit longer?

Everyone plays to have fun.. so the few moments you aren't cant you guys just suck it up and allow the other team to have theirs that they have earned?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Few moments? End of game stalemates (I.E. huge wastes of time) usually last 10-15 minutes.

No. You suck it up. You dont see people in starcraft 2 killing the other player's base every time after they GG out, even if you would.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Random "fact": In 50% of cases I can tell with 90% accuracy within the first minutes of the game which team will lose/win on a pub server :P

Anyway, as discussed here and in countless threads before, a "restart match" vote or so should be added which could help the situation.

Besides that, yes, there are some people quit too early making the situation worse, but I think a more underlying problems is that this game has a massive slippery slope effect making it rather unfun at times. Very little chance of a comeback in general (in competive games well-executed stratigies can counter this to some degree).

The simple example would be:
    More res -> more tech -> easier to hold territory -> more res ...

So how to tell when you are going to loose a pub game? (not exclusive, but rather accurate IMHO)
    1) If you are few minutes without a com and the other team has one, you'll loose, unless your team is full of pros and the other team full of newblets.
    2) If you see a team getting the majority of the map in the first minutes without ease, that team will win with a rather high chance.
    3) If your team gets annilated at the frist contacts, it's very doubtful it will improve in the late game. Unbalanced player skill levels in that case
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1991437:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:14 PM:name=Katana-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Katana- @ Oct 14 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991437"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please consider the point of view of the people on the losing team. NS2 has an RTS element, this means that one team can gain so much momentum that it becomes impossible for the other team to win. Why force the losing team to play out a round they already lost? It isn't fun.

If anything some official method of conceding should be added in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In most team based games, most players think they're in an unwinnable situation (dota type games are a great example) when they're only behind. Take NS2, where most games are just one or two organized rushes away from victory, and you'll have the same F4 crowd throwing up concede votes and being negative nancys on mics.