Build 222, Skulk Bite Knockback

2»

Comments

• nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991244:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:01 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 14 2012, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the collision problem is already solved and a fix will be included in 224 (marines will no longer step over skulks). im tempted to remove the knock back on marines entirely. in the end, the knockback would need to be so subtle that it would make no difference to have it or not. anyone else has opinions on this (knockback on marines stay or go)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, don't remove the knockback, just fix the bug that was introduced last patch. It adds depth to the game and is vital components how good marines will have a chance in a close combat. Removing it would only hurt the game in the long run and there is a reason why it is in ns1 and was implemented in ns2.

Anyways public polls like this should never be held on something most of the community can't pull off because they can't appreciate it fully.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990395:date=Oct 12 2012, 07:07 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 12 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that change was not intentional, its an unfortunate side effect of some other movement changes. will be corrected in the next patch<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aaaaah, but we had our torches lit and our pitchforks out and everything!
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991379:date=Oct 14 2012, 04:24 PM:name=nadyli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nadyli @ Oct 14 2012, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyways public polls like this should never be held on something most of the community can't pull off because they can't appreciate it fully.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats a bit presumptuous
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Remove knockback, balancing this game is complex enough.

We have air movement, wall jumping, player speed, etc, why add another issue into the mix?

I'd be happy with a very subtle knockback though.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Removing the bug that throws you other side of the room is fixed next patch I think.

I have mixed feeling about knockbacks in general, this one may not be so bad in the end removing it completely would be detrimental.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never even realized there was knockback, my bite hit-reg is f***** up since 222, or maybe 223, dunno.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Do the following to make it a skill based movement that marines can use
    - Greatly reduce the knockback amount
    - Bitting a marine at the apex of his jump = maximum knockback
    - Knockback amount greatly falls off the further away from apex when bitten

This will make the timing very tight, ensuring the marine tries to time the apex of his jump when the first skulk bite lands.
  • middlemanmiddleman Join Date: 2005-07-18 Member: 56200Members
    Alright, I had to come on here and bring my experience forward.

I would like to address the skulk knock back, for it is hurting the gameplay mechanics.

Firstly, when im rushing a marine spawn, i attack the marine, but after biting him, he flies back, giving him reload time and an opportunity to kill me, then after landing another bite he flies back agian.

This doesn't make sense. If anything, the marine should be injuired and lose control/slow down So i can finish him/strafe him.

Also, if i bite someone, they get knocked back, then they run and jump creating more distance.

If aliens moved faster maybe this could work, but i am not able to run around a marine when he moves just as fast as me.

Another thing that bothers me is the fact that its hard to land bites on marines. Since when did you have to aim for melee. you just look and click. Im dying for no reason when a marine should be dead. Then hes jumping all over the place and moves just as fast as me. Not really enjoying the game as i did before.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    The knockback should definitely be toned down a lot, so the alien (especially Skulk) attacker can quickly catch up to the Marine victim, WITHOUT having to run straight at them. Additionally, the knockback should not add vertical force to the Marine's movement, which would truly send the Marine flying out of Skulks' bite range.

Skulks would need to have more health to compensate, if the knockback is to become a mechanism to save newbie marines from ambushes.

I would much prefer if the knock back effect is removed from alien attacks, and given to the Rifle melee attack instead, in the form of a self knock-back, similar to a rocket jump. This might become a skill based movement that can be used for Marines to defend themselves.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    I haven't noticed the knockback nearly as much I've noticed just how quirky the collision and general movement is when trying to bite a marine. Play another first person multiplayer game with melee combat like pirates, vikings and knights II or even TF2 and compare it to NS2. You'll see the difference.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Im for no knockback, its really stupid. Might aswell reduce JP cost since no one will need one anymore ;p