Hive teleport and Res for Kill

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Two things missing and strongly needed</div>In 90% of every competitive game I watch three things happen:
-a lonely marine kills hive RTS, eggs and/or upgrades without the alien team being able to react fast enough
-it relies on the luck of the alien team if a hiverush can be stopped. Either the aliens spawn in the right hive/most of the team is close to it or it will die.
-alien play is really not dynamic, everyone is just waiting for res, most of the time playing as skulk. With RFK it would be way more exciting for both sides.

Everything applies on public play as well. I just watched some streams because I wanted to find out if it's a pub problem. It's not.

Both, Hive teleport and RFK, would make the game much more dynamic and exciting and would lead to epic battles more often. It is plain boring to wait for the resources, there's no direct reward for playing good.

Right?

EDIT: I'm talking about personal RFK. I mean it doesn't even have to be kills to gain res with. Make it for welding or assist kills or whatever. Or both. A FPS with buyable stuff needs the opportunity to get the stuff faster. Every FPS does that, and they do it with a reason.

Comments

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am pretty sure the Shift has replaced alien teleporting because Eggs can be relocated to new locations using it (outside of the attack hive for example, or in a corner).

Pretty sure the devs has stated time and time again that res for kill does not fit within NS2 and that they will not add it
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991284:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:01 PM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Oct 14 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty sure the devs has stated time and time again that res for kill does not fit within NS2 and that they will not add it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are their reasons? It fits perfectly within NS2.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think they could give +1 res per kill and it wouldn't affect ANYTHING but would make getting kills much more satisfying since you'd FEEL like you're getting an advantage even tho in practice it's ridiculously little.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am pretty sure the Shift has replaced alien teleporting because Eggs can be relocated to new locations using it (outside of the attack hive for example, or in a corner).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's still the problem of single marines killing stuff in the base. It shouldn't be that easy. It's the alien's base. Marines have beacon for that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991286:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:05 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Oct 14 2012, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think they could give +1 res per kill and it wouldn't affect ANYTHING but would make getting kills much more satisfying since you'd FEEL like you're getting an advantage even tho in practice it's ridiculously little.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In NS1 it was a chance between 1 and 3 i think. It made a lot.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991287:date=Oct 14 2012, 01:06 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Oct 14 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's still the problem of single marines killing stuff in the base. It shouldn't be that easy. It's the alien's base. Marines have beacon for that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a solid point.

The only reasoning I can remember them not having teleportation was because of Celerity apparently being "enough" to warrant teleportation unnecessary.

As for as buying time for the Kharaa to come back to their hive, I've witnessed and have practiced using clogs around the upgrades as a means of extra protection.

I do think your point of Marines having beacon whereas, Aliens do not have teleportation is a very good point. I've seen countless times where the Kharaa upgrades are being chopped down while people are away.

Considering the Kharaa upgrades are more vulnerable than the TSF Arms Lab, the importance of Hive teleportation really feels necessary to address.

As far as RFK, I rather not see that coming back to haunt this game as it did when Marines were turtling.

But if there was an acceptable form of it, I'd rather see it increase Personal res rather than Team Res, as to avoid turtle games.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991293:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:15 PM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Oct 14 2012, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's a solid point.

The only reasoning I can remember them not having teleportation was because of Celerity apparently being "enough" to warrant teleportation unnecessary.
    (...)
    But if there was an acceptable form of it, I'd rather see it increase Personal res rather than Team Res, as to avoid turtle games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, they made celerity something really fast, but not usable in battles for exactly that purpose. They changed it back, but never came up with another idea to adress the problem.

With RFK I only mean personal res. It is common in <i>any</i> first person shooter where you can buy stuff to get rewarded for kills. And there's a reason for that.
  • DanielDDanielD Join Date: 2010-11-16 Member: 74960Members
    Imo being able to choose which egg you spawn in would go a long way towards solving the problem of hives getting bumrushed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991301:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:36 PM:name=DanielD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanielD @ Oct 14 2012, 06:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo being able to choose which egg you spawn in would go a long way towards solving the problem of hives getting bumrushed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And when the alien team is alive and trying to get an area? When marines try that aliens can counter with a base rush. Marines can beacon then, marine push is stopped. When aliens try push something on the other side of the map, marines can easily kill their hive by setting up a PG. When aliens reach with their onos, the hive is at 20% maximum. It's always the same.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1991288:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:07 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Oct 14 2012, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1 it was a chance between 1 and 3 i think. It made a lot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And that is how it was implemented in NS2 earlier as well. Which made PRes overflow massively.
    If RFK was reimplemented, it should only be 1 PRes per kill. No random gains.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1991301:date=Oct 14 2012, 10:36 AM:name=DanielD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DanielD @ Oct 14 2012, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imo being able to choose which egg you spawn in would go a long way towards solving the problem of hives getting bumrushed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This^

Waiting till the marines are in your hive popping your eggs means your too late. Being able to position yourself by choosing spawn location helps ensure that you can prevent this in the first, making it so you never need hive teleport.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991309:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:51 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 14 2012, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And that is how it was implemented in NS2 earlier as well. Which made PRes overflow massively.
    If RFK was reimplemented, it should only be 1 PRes per kill. No random gains.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, because of two problems:
    Too high starting Res and no adjustments on the Pres-flow.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed, being able to select a spawn location from the top down view before you spawn would be fkin A.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991317:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:14 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Oct 14 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed, being able to select a spawn location from the top down view before you spawn would be fkin A.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, it would be cool, but not solving the hive rush problem. Do we want only skulks to fight high teched marines fast enough?
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Not to mention the arms lab doesnt die when you so much as spit at it.
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    I don't care about rtf at all, but hive teleportation is an absolute must from both a balance and fun perspective. Balance because marines have phasetech and are far more mobile than aliens. Are marines really supposed to have more map control by default and be faster than aliens? Secondly, in ns1 I could go 50-50 as a skulk and you can still do that as a marine in ns2. But as a skulk it simply takes too damn long to get in a fight, so much running is boring as heck.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991284:date=Oct 14 2012, 10:01 AM:name=Dictator93)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dictator93 @ Oct 14 2012, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am pretty sure the Shift has replaced alien teleporting because Eggs can be relocated to new locations using it (outside of the attack hive for example, or in a corner).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously? If thats true its just stupid. Mobility that demands that someone have to die. hmm.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Choosing eggs is beyond the problem.

We're talking about those who are already alive to give them the means to efficiently counter a Hive assault/infiltrator.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    The funny thing is since maps are smaller in NS2, celerity was introduced at the current speeds for this role. But even on smaller maps like Summit and Tram this is not as effective as beacon and PG's. And Veil has basically proven that a faster and more effective way is indeed quite needed. I would love to see a "feature*" for the George to place nodes inside infestation to link certain areas to each other (instant travel). Basically make it look like a random doodad to have it blend into the environment on infestation. And of course it should be possible to damage/destroy/disable

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>*game is feature locked</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Random 1-3 RFK was a terrible mechanic, good riddance.
    Hive teleporting is probably not needed with the current celerity and maps.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    edited October 2012
    I would understand aliens not being able to teleport between hives if marines weren't so ridiculously fast in comparison to aliens. You're asking the impossible to alien players when you ask them to traverse the map on foot to defend a structure that will die IN SECONDS. Hive teleport needs to make a comback and Shifts need to act like movement chambers did in NS1.

Also, all RFK did in NS1 was let Marines turtle on a hive and tech up. Good riddance. Want res? Get RTs.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991333:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:42 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 14 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>*game is feature locked</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Let's call it balance adjustments then.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Random 1-3 RFK was a terrible mechanic, good riddance.
    Hive teleporting is probably not needed with the current celerity and maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -I'm not talking about implementing random RFK.
    -Probably? Multiple people in this thread <i>reasoned</i> the opposite.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1991329:date=Oct 14 2012, 11:35 AM:name=Zomb3h)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zomb3h @ Oct 14 2012, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991329"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Choosing eggs is beyond the problem.

We're talking about those who are already alive to give them the means to efficiently counter a Hive assault/infiltrator.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess I like that marines can catch aliens out of position. The issue I have is proper spawn location choosing is the way many other FPS and FPS/RTS games/mod counter this issue.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991335:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:47 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 14 2012, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, all RFK did in NS1 was let Marines turtle on a hive and tech up. Good riddance. Want res? Get RTs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There were no Pres in NS1.

I think nobody proved me, and the others who think the same, wrong yet.
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    What does that even mean? With the current maps? Celerity is fricking doesn't help the current issue at all, if you're an alien on one side of the map and the hive on the other side gets hit you might as well just attack whatever is closest because you will never get over to the other side in time. Alternatively, marines have both beacon and phase gates that allow them to travel to all combat points instantaneously.

Aliens drop a second hive and the marines put a pg up outside, suddenly the marines travel to alien hive at 3 times the speed of aliens. How do you defend that? Even if you kill the marines they spawn back into your location and when you die you have to run back. Or are you saying aliens only viable tech route is shift and they just need to delay their hive drop by 30 res every game?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1991336:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:48 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Oct 14 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let's call it balance adjustments then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fair enuf, new George stuff is balancing. I'll try and convince the devs. Or we could of course go the boring route and have it Hive Mind researchable on shifts and use that structure instead. I was just thinking out loud with making the George a bit more interesting, what with the Hive Mind stealing all his stuff :P
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991333:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:42 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 14 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The funny thing is since maps are smaller in NS2, celerity was introduced at the current speeds for this role. But even on smaller maps like Summit and Tram this is not as effective as beacon and PG's. And Veil has basically proven that a faster and more effective way is indeed quite needed. I would love to see a "feature*" for the George to place nodes inside infestation to link certain areas to each other (instant travel). Basically make it look like a random doodad to have it blend into the environment on infestation. And of course it should be possible to damage/destroy/disable

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i>*game is feature locked</i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great idea ! maybe make alien comm to research it as ability for gorge.
    <!--quoteo(post=1991343:date=Oct 14 2012, 07:55 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Oct 14 2012, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fair enuf, new George stuff is balancing. I'll try and convince the devs. Or we could of course go the boring route and have it Hive Mind researchable on shifts and use that structure instead. I was just thinking out loud with making the George a bit more interesting, what with the Hive Mind stealing all his stuff :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, could be cool for the Gorge. Then again, I don't even considered it being researchable, but given to the aliens all the time.
    Maybe Hive teleport could be standard and the gorge could drop additional teleport-stations?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Egg choosing is a no-brainer, I don't get why it is not in the game.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1991316:date=Oct 14 2012, 08:13 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Oct 14 2012, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991316"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, because of two problems:
    Too high starting Res and no adjustments on the Pres-flow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree with you.
    It was mainly because of the randomness of 1-3 res.
    If it would have been 1 res every time. The problem would be gone.
    Also, the current starting PRes is really bad for aliens.
    Basicly the only thing 20 starting pres does is delay the lerks massively.
    It doesn't delay anything for marines, which is a large reason why lerks are massively underpowered.
    They simply come out too late with the low starting pres and no RFK.