Build 222, Skulk Bite Knockback

radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
edited October 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">No, not a complaining thread about it</div>Just wanting to know if I'm the only one noticing a higher knockback on the skulk bite? On Summit this morning and I bit a marine on Crevice as one normally would. However, my knockback sent him OVER the railing to his death.

Humourous, to say the least watching him fall. However, in the remaining time as a skulk this far I've noticed if I bite a marine in the air, there's in a much higher chance that he will be knocked out of my range, and faster than I travel.

I know this has been a feature in the game for some time, and I like it. Adds a bit of skill to the dance, but I've noticed it seems to me amplified this build.

Is it intentional to add this boost, or am I the only one seeing it?

Comments

• KasperleKasperle Join Date: 2004-09-29 Member: 31990Members
    edited October 2012
    Its supposed to be that way. Its very reliable right now. As far as i ve experienced it, it works everytime now (when i was marine).
    I havent tested it though, just some pub experience. Allthough i saw marines getting bit by me while in midair but no knockback.
    Maybe because i was strafing around him on the ground.

*edit* tested it
    The momentum u get from the knockback depends on which direction u jump. If u just jump, u get a minor knockback. If u jump backwards when a skulk hits u in front of u, u get a major knockback. Same for strafing backwards left or right.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    This is stupid stuff, I dislike this.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    So biting a marine now increases the distance between the skulk and the marine? So on top of the marines bouncing around they now fly back if you DO land a hit? Giving them more time and more chance to hit? Well I think I'll just give up playing alien now.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Yup, aliens get punished for actually landing a bite.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Bad skulk, don't bite humans!
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    NS1 had it and it was fine, especially with the current wide bite.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You mean less wide bite, since the bite width was actually decreased again. I don't see the point in having this, it just helps marines... Another one of those 'cosmetic' features that harms gameplay more than it adds. Not like marines really need the help.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I haven't played it yet, but will still offer my opinion as if it matters.

I'm glad bite knockback was strengthened, even though it debuffed aliens. It means less ring-around-the-ankles Skulkplay, which indirectly means less pogo-spam Marines. I don't like that Skulks are now weaker, but they could always have their health buffed to compensate.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    that change was not intentional, its an unfortunate side effect of some other movement changes. will be corrected in the next patch
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990395:date=Oct 12 2012, 06:07 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 12 2012, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990395"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that change was not intentional, its an unfortunate side effect of some other movement changes. will be corrected in the next patch<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you that is good to hear!
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks Sewlek for an answer!

I like it in, but it seemed a little high.

Also, in conjunction, are we going to see a penalty for Marine jumping on flat ground? I.E. as delay before jump again? I know it was in NS1.

Only curious because jump spamming is a bit laughable when watching it, but it's a valid defense.
    <!--quoteo(post=1990414:date=Oct 12 2012, 08:46 PM:name=radforChrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radforChrist @ Oct 12 2012, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks Sewlek for an answer!

I like it in, but it seemed a little high.

Also, in conjunction, are we going to see a penalty for Marine jumping on flat ground? I.E. as delay before jump again? I know it was in NS1.

Only curious because jump spamming is a bit laughable when watching it, but it's a valid defense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's already a penalty for jumping on flat ground, you barely have any real jump height after 2-3 jumps.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Whooray for encouraging even more jump spam! Long live the King!
  • yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    Yeah this is noticeable this patch. Now there's even more reason for marines to jump around like idiots. Its like a free version of ns1 redemption for rines now.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990392:date=Oct 13 2012, 02:58 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Oct 13 2012, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I haven't played it yet, but will still offer my opinion as if it matters.

I'm glad bite knockback was strengthened, even though it debuffed aliens.<b> It means less ring-around-the-ankles Skulkplay, which indirectly means less pogo-spam Marines.</b> I don't like that Skulks are now weaker, but they could always have their health buffed to compensate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The cause of the skulk getting at the marines feet is the need to bite him....this just simply rewards a marine for getting bitten.
    You want less ring around a marine? Bring in focus...fewer bites...les running around trying to bite a jumping marine.

Its total garbage...I been bucked all over the shop and gotten kills that the poor skulk deserved to get. they had me dead for rights...yet I suddenly shoot 8 feet in the air and back about 3-4 metres...still facing the same direction (which makes shooting the skulk that was formerly at my feet easy (even for someone with poor aim)), surely this is not what its intended to do?
    Sorry but aliens have a hard enough time closing the gap....having this sort of knock back makes SG's even more powerful.

Serious nerf needed...heck I would say removal...why do marines need another aid to make them die less (they already have JP's, exo's armour upgrades....jumping (up even onto a step or ramp has no slowdown) around like rabbits "surfing skulks"...
    A vanilla marine feels more agile than a skulk without celerity...doesn't seem right.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990793:date=Oct 13 2012, 11:58 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Oct 13 2012, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cause of the skulk getting at the marines feet is the need to bite him....this just simply rewards a marine for getting bitten.
    You want less ring around a marine? Bring in focus...fewer bites...les running around trying to bite a jumping marine.

Its total garbage...I been bucked all over the shop and gotten kills that the poor skulk deserved to get. they had me dead for rights...yet I suddenly shoot 8 feet in the air and back about 3-4 metres...still facing the same direction (which makes shooting the skulk that was formerly at my feet easy (even for someone with poor aim)), surely this is not what its intended to do?
    Sorry but aliens have a hard enough time closing the gap....having this sort of knock back makes SG's even more powerful.

Serious nerf needed...heck I would say removal...why do marines need another aid to make them die less (they already have JP's, exo's armour upgrades....jumping (up even onto a step or ramp has no slowdown) around like rabbits "surfing skulks"...
    A vanilla marine feels more agile than a skulk without celerity...doesn't seem right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fully agree

they dont need to tone down this mechanic, they need to get rid of it. Pressing jump whilst holding a direction key and getting shot off when a skulk attacks you is not skill based movement.

im curious as to where the people who are against hand holding mechanics ? They were all over the skulk bite thread ... but nowhere to be seen in here ? double standards perhaps ? :)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990793:date=Oct 13 2012, 06:58 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Oct 13 2012, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990793"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cause of the skulk getting at the marines feet is the need to bite him....this just simply rewards a marine for getting bitten.

A vanilla marine feels more agile than a skulk without celerity...doesn't seem right.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or better yet fix the bloody collision so you dont fly through the enemy every time you try to get close enough to bite? But I suppose that is too much to hope for considering we are a month from release and no one has so much as acknowledged the absurd crappiness of the collision system.

As for the absurd knockback in 222/223, one of the devs mentioned it was an unintentional bug.
    In fact it was in this thread, fancy that.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990796:date=Oct 13 2012, 09:18 PM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Oct 13 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im curious as to where the people who are against hand holding mechanics ? They were all over the skulk bite thread ... but nowhere to be seen in here ? double standards perhaps ? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They play marines.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1990989:date=Oct 13 2012, 06:48 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Oct 13 2012, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or better yet fix the bloody collision so you dont fly through the enemy every time you try to get close enough to bite? But I suppose that is too much to hope for considering we are a month from release and no one has so much as acknowledged the absurd crappiness of the collision system.

As for the absurd knockback in 222/223, one of the devs mentioned it was an unintentional bug.
    In fact it was in this thread, fancy that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the collision problem is already solved and a fix will be included in 224 (marines will no longer step over skulks). im tempted to remove the knockback on marines entirely. in the end, the knockback would need to be so subtle that it would make no difference to have it or not. anyone else has opinions on this (knockback on marines stay or go)?
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1991244:date=Oct 14 2012, 06:01 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Oct 14 2012, 06:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1991244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the collision problem is already solved and a fix will be included in 224 (marines will no longer step over skulks). im tempted to remove the knockback on marines entirely. in the end, the knockback would need to be so subtle that it would make no difference to have it or not. anyone else has opinions on this (knockback on marines stay or go)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should go or be very small.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    A subtle knockback might make the difference between that second bite hitting or not, so you have my vote for making it subtle, but not entirely removed. The current knockback is way too strong though, as you've said.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think it does more harm to aliens than good, really.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    I just know that when I get bitten by a small dog like creature in real life, the force of that bite sends me flying 15 feet away in the air...

No bite knock-back please.
    A minor knockback should be fine, it may actually help your re-center your target for the second bite when you're going really fast.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    + 1 for minor knockback.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Why a knockback? The marine should rather be pulled towards the Skulk. Or the Skulk towards the marine.
    Imagine a dog going hunting. Does biting victims push those away? No, the dog bites the victim and comes closer in the process.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 for no knockback at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    Another +1 for no knockback at all.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    +1 no or very minimal knockback
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter