Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta Build 223 is Live

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Beta Build 223 is Live here

Comments

• ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Thnx for quick patch. Lets see if I manage to put my servers up now..
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    It's hard to believe you released a patch without nerfing aliens.
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I still can't seem to access webadmin even though -webadmin -webdomain and -webport are set.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks Max.

<!--quoteo(post=1990466:date=Oct 12 2012, 08:03 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 12 2012, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hard to believe you released a patch without nerfing aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... if you don't like watching development, leave.
  • WildChickenWildChicken Join Date: 2004-08-25 Member: 30891Members, Constellation
    I'm assuming this isn't fixed in 223:

In 222, dropping phase gates after selecting a direction do NOT drop facing the direction shown in the comm interface. I can select it and face it south only to see it facing southwest or even west.

After losing 2nd hive, we still had access to all hive upgrades (on the hive, don't know if they'd apply to the aliens). Stomp still sometimes available for 2-hive commander dropped onos.

For the sake of sanity and simplicity for new players, revert the "can't build structures that are infested, but you can drop the blueprint" change. It's unintuitive, the commander has no way of knowing whether or not his PG is too close to the infestation without a costly (and very obvious) scan or putting it far away from infestation (The Neck, Cargo on Veil are both good examples of locations where being able to drop a PG very close to infestation is important. And even worse, if you drop a structure on cloaked infestation you'll have a new guy standing there not understanding why his E button is broken (most people rarely notice the sloshing sound infestation makes when walking over it, it seems). What was wrong with the 221 approach? No blueprints droppable on infestation, but once dropped buildable with NO exceptions.

Not an enjoyable build, all in all.
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990480:date=Oct 12 2012, 08:23 PM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Oct 12 2012, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the sake of sanity and simplicity for new players, revert the "can't build structures that are infested, but you can drop the blueprint" change. It's unintuitive, the commander has no way of knowing whether or not his PG is too close to the infestation without a costly (and very obvious) scan or putting it far away from infestation (The Neck, Cargo on Veil are both good examples of locations where being able to drop a PG very close to infestation is important. And even worse, if you drop a structure on cloaked infestation you'll have a new guy standing there not understanding why his E button is broken<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, even though I knew it, it took me 10sec to understand why I couldn't build the armory... So I can easily see players that do not read changelogs or new players understand why they can't build.
  • SteamyTacoSteamyTaco Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148274Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990473:date=Oct 12 2012, 09:13 PM:name=ExplosifBe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExplosifBe @ Oct 12 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990473"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still can't seem to access webadmin even though -webadmin -webdomain and -webport are set.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here, webport works now tho.

Change -webpass to -webpassword ;) Works now, thanks devicenull!
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990480:date=Oct 12 2012, 03:23 PM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Oct 12 2012, 03:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm assuming this isn't fixed in 223:

In 222, dropping phase gates after selecting a direction do NOT drop facing the direction shown in the comm interface. I can select it and face it south only to see it facing southwest or even west.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know if this is related and perhaps it was even fixed in 222, but...

The robotics factory seems to try and place in the exact opposite (180 deg) from how I set it. If I try to put the back of it near a wall, it turns red and is unplaceable, BUT if I put the arc/cone towards the wall end (effectively making the opening into the wall) it will let me place it.

Giving the option of model rotation on all structures for marines would be particularly nice. A two-click drop process. Or if hotkeyed, a two button press.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1990492:date=Oct 12 2012, 12:39 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Oct 12 2012, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if this is related and perhaps it was even fixed in 222, but...

The robotics factory seems to try and place in the exact opposite (180 deg) from how I set it. If I try to put the back of it near a wall, it turns red and is unplaceable, BUT if I put the arc/cone towards the wall end (effectively making the opening into the wall) it will let me place it.

Giving the option of model rotation on all structures for marines would be particularly nice. A two-click drop process. Or if hotkeyed, a two button press.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a known rotation bug right now. Yes, it was not looked at for this patch.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990480:date=Oct 12 2012, 10:23 PM:name=WildChicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WildChicken @ Oct 12 2012, 10:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the sake of sanity and simplicity for new players, revert the "can't build structures that are infested, but you can drop the blueprint" change. It's unintuitive, the commander has no way of knowing whether or not his PG is too close to the infestation without a costly (and very obvious) scan or putting it far away from infestation (The Neck, Cargo on Veil are both good examples of locations where being able to drop a PG very close to infestation is important. And even worse, if you drop a structure on cloaked infestation you'll have a new guy standing there not understanding why his E button is broken (most people rarely notice the sloshing sound infestation makes when walking over it, it seems). What was wrong with the 221 approach? No blueprints droppable on infestation, but once dropped buildable with NO exceptions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, I found myself trying to build a few PGs and Extractors only to wonder why E was broken.
    Saw a lot of other confused marines as well.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited October 2012
    My first impression was that the performance were really nice, but playing for a while on a 100-150 ping server it appears not to be so brilliant; there's a lot of lag, shutters, delayed death sounds, alien vision flicker and other related unsmooth things. It makes the game quite unpleasant after a while. Server admins putting 24 slots doesn't help as well.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2012
    I'm getting the alien vision flickers as well, not sure what's up with that
    Also a lot more 'getting shot behind walls' by the looks of it, though maybe it was just server tickrate falling?
  • WhiteProtocolWhiteProtocol Join Date: 2005-07-27 Member: 56910Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990484:date=Oct 12 2012, 12:26 PM:name=ExplosifBe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExplosifBe @ Oct 12 2012, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed, even though I knew it, it took me 10sec to understand why I couldn't build the armory... So I can easily see players that do not read changelogs or new players understand why they can't build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is to balance the alien nerfs and give shades more power. Sounds like it was planned this way.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990466:date=Oct 12 2012, 09:03 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 12 2012, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hard to believe you released a patch without nerfing aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

I do love the game though, its a masterpiece but skulks feel so frustrating to play right now. Hope you can fix it. Would be nice if skulks don't show up on the minimap for marines when they are standing still/moving slowly to make ambushing easier for one.
  • CthulhuCthulhu Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159368Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    conveyors is misspelled on mineshaft. It's spelled convayors and should be conveyors.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    *cough* Wouldn't have happened if I was a server tester. ;P
  • eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990535:date=Oct 12 2012, 01:08 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Oct 12 2012, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*cough* Wouldn't have happened if I was a server tester. ;P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

;)

----

Thanks for the quick server fix guys, about to update - will report back on any issues in a manic and unhelpful way just like last night =P
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Onos seems to have stomp by default.
    Also please fix these ridiculous drifter and MAC rushes, just saw extertus kill a server using it. (It's not just incredibly frustrating to play against, mac spam is actually pretty effective AND terribly laggy)
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990562:date=Oct 12 2012, 02:10 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 12 2012, 02:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos seems to have stomp by default.
    Also please fix these ridiculous drifter and MAC rushes, just saw extertus kill a server using it. (It's not just incredibly frustrating to play against, mac spam is actually pretty effective AND terribly laggy)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's well known that servers simply can't cope with either drifters or macs in numbers above 30, for people to spam either in a public server is in VERY bad taste.
    edited October 2012
    Well, I can only hope it serves as a wake up call for UWE. Last Q and A Charlie said mass drifters (and MACs) are 'fine'. They clearly aren't, and it would be truly sad if we have to cope with this on release day.
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990568:date=Oct 12 2012, 02:22 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 12 2012, 02:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last Q and A Charlie said mass drifters (and MACs) are 'fine'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not comfortable commenting without seeing the Q & A; but with regard to server performance, i'd be very interested in what machine can cope with a 30 drone attack on an 18 slot server 30-40 minutes into a game and still keep tick above 25.

-----

My servers seem to be fine after this patch - was able to bind ports to each web interface instance just like 221. For admins still having trouble, be sure -webdir isn't a command line option anymore, as was mentioned it's now obsolete. That caused me issues and very shortly after, a facepalm.
  • maD maXmaD maX Join Date: 2010-01-28 Member: 70347Members
    Also getting the flicker with alien esspesially with hive sight... like a blinding white horazontal line not sure if its tearing or what?

Yeah I know this is all about the balance, but im not sure skulk bite is the place to go for nerfing, everyone from NS1 vets to COD to any male over the age of 4 has experience with shooting (granted this is a little tougher then the good old days of N64 goldeneye) but being able to land a bite shouldnt be the hardest part, it should be hard to land 2-5 bites... Im now seeing 2-4 skulks jumping all over a rine where none of them are landing a bite, In my opinion if you have 4 skulks climing all overyou you should have died long ago.

Yes i know it shouldnt be an instant win for the skulk just because he got close, but once he is close he should have a BIG BIG advantage, I dont care how competitive you are if you have 2+ skulks on top of you you should die....
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I can confirm a distinct drop in server performance since the last few builds.

Might be the result letting even more clientside stuff beeing handled by the server, in attempt to improve client performance.
    <!--quoteo(post=1990611:date=Oct 12 2012, 03:37 PM:name=Security)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Security @ Oct 12 2012, 03:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can confirm a distinct drop in server performance since the last few builds.

Might be the result letting even more clientside stuff beeing handled by the server, in attempt to improve client performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't really have any perf data on mine since 221 - but i'll gather and compare on my next server-fill and edit this post with the results.
    Destroyed power nodes seem to go up really quickly, don't know if this is a bug or intention. By the looks of it instead of the destroyed state they have the blueprint state again, so maybe the commander was 'redropping' them.
  • Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1990616:date=Oct 13 2012, 01:44 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 13 2012, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Destroyed power nodes seem to go up really quickly, don't know if this is a bug or intention. By the looks of it instead of the destroyed state they have the blueprint state again, so maybe the commander was 'redropping' them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I experienced exactly the same thing while I was playing build 223 some minutes ago.
    Destroyed power nodes can be repaired as quick as if they would have been dropped for the first time.
    For aliens its completely useless to bite powernodes now for 30 seconds while a single marine rebuilds it in just 4 or 5.
    This highly effects attacking marine bases as aliens, cuz powerlosts aren't any major problem for them anymore.

I even saw some marines running for the lost powernodes in their base to quickly rebuild it instead of shooting the 3 aliens which are attacking him in the meantime. And they were successful.
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1990466:date=Oct 12 2012, 02:03 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Oct 12 2012, 02:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1990466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hard to believe you released a patch without nerfing aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh come on Runteh, that was funny!
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Just played this ( 222/223 ) build from both sides:

The good:

- Server browser is excellent, great job on that.
    - Much better performance in late when there is a ton of structures.

The bad:

- Found skulk bites often not registering unless on a low ping server.
    - MAC's try to build structures where infestation has not yet cleared.
    - Marines still auto call for ammo, remove it, let people request when they really need it.
    - Destroyed power nodes are really quick to rebuild.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Re building power nodes goes at the same speed the old nano-boost ability provided.
  • CrusherCrusher Join Date: 2012-08-21 Member: 156083Members
    edited October 2012
    I still only have about 30-40 fps, but damn, it is so much more fluent it seems. It rarely drops now. Stays around those 30+ fps over 90% of the time. Excellent job. You have upped the performance so much guys!! It's a totally different game. LOVE IT SO MUCH!!
    I was an exo, and there were total of 4 exos killing a hive, infestation everywhere, skulks as well. Didn't lag once!! And was very very playable. At least 20 fps. The performance went up dramatically for me. and no more checkerboards!!

THANK YOU UWE!!
    Job WELL DONE

Just as I wrote this and went back to the game, played for like 30 sec and the screen went black suddenly. I could hear myself moving or shooting. but black screen.
    When I left the server the screen popped back on