Offensive turret idea

mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
<div class="IPBDescription">a totally different way to solve the turret problem</div>UWE have made it clear they dont want defensive turrets, so ive been thinking about how to make offensive turrets work.

Ok my idea is to essentially turn turrets into an ability and create an illusion that the turret is actually damaging targets

let me explain

The turret will actually not be doing any damage at all, instead it will be acting the same way enzyme cloud works ! it will provide a damage buff to marines in its field of influence

Turrets tracking targets etc will no longer be handled by the server but instead will be handled by the clients. So on player A's client, the turret will be firing at whatever target hes firing at where as that same turret on player B's client will be firing at a different target that player B is shooting at. This is the illusion i was talking about, to players on the ground it appears as if the turret is helping them out, however the turret isnt really doing anything at all, its the player doing all the work ! the player is just receiving a damage buff. In a way a turret firing at a target is the same as the red glow of enyzme cloud, its just an indicator that the buff is being applied.

the turrets wont last forever, like any ability they will disappear after 10 or so seconds. And to prevent multiple damage buffs stacking, simply add a cooldown (3 or 4 seconds so that 2 or 3 buffs can stack maybe ?)

From a lore perspective :

TSA, in an effort to take the fight to the enemy, have adapted phase technology in order to directly phase active self powered sentry turrets into combat situations. Due to the nature of the violent phase transition, these sentry turrets remain extremely unstable and soon start to dis-integrate at the sub atomic level.

technically, this is no longer a turret anymore lol, but it gives the illusion of being one :D well, what do you guys think ? :)

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I dont.... but.. i ... what.... so basicly, make them instead of nearly entirely pointless, to just plain, entirely pointless?! Genius.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IMO, switch the ARC and the sentry. The ARC becomes a mobile anti-personal weapon while the sentry becomes the stationary shoot-through-the-walls anti-structure weapon.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1988343:date=Oct 8 2012, 12:50 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Oct 8 2012, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988343"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->IMO, switch the ARC and the sentry. The ARC becomes a mobile anti-personal weapon while the sentry becomes the stationary shoot-through-the-walls anti-structure weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And then rename those sentries... Sieges.

Was the whip intended to be an anti-structure or anti-personnel weapon?
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    They have shifted back and forth on the roll of the whip. I think original the idea was anti-structure, moving them into place by unrooting them. Then they moved it into more of a anti-personal role, especially when they added the grenade hitback. The problem is they're anti-personal but the marines have ranged weapons, so they aren't effective in that way. I see them more as a defense support role by providing a way to counter grenades.
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I don't really understand your idea, but the idea that the turrets shoot where you shoot is interesting. It could be worth a try to give them a use.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1988611:date=Oct 9 2012, 12:11 AM:name=CheesyPeteza)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CheesyPeteza @ Oct 9 2012, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1988611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't really understand your idea, but the idea that the turrets shoot where you shoot is interesting. It could be worth a try to give them a use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well i thought that may happen lol

To understand it, think of the drifters ability : enzyme cloud. This ability when activated creates this red aura and then gives aliens within range an attack speed buff.

What im saying is that when a sentry is dropped, it will give marines within range a damage buff for a short time(like 10% more damage per shot for 10 seconds). The sentry itself is not physically doing any damage, it tracking targets and doing the firing animation + firing sounds ... is all just for show, just like the red aura of enzyme cloud, its serves as an aesthetics purpose and as a visual indicator that the marines are receiving the buff.

This idea would be good performance wise seeing as the server wont have to calculate sentry tracking etc. And there wont be sentry spam.

to sum up :

Sentries will be in the ability tab next to nanoshield etc.
    Sentries wont need power or the need to be constructed
    It would cost 5 res or something like that
    it would last a limited lifetime, like 10 seconds before the sentry dissapears
    it would give a damage buff to marines in range, like 10% more damage per shot
    like nanoshield, it would have a cooldown to stop it from being spammed

well hope that makes it clearer :X
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I understand what you are saying now, it does meet the objectives of being offensive and it would work I think.

The problem is, it's not a sentry. Yeah I know you are saying give it the illusion of shooting, but I'm not buying that, it's trying to fit a cube into a round hole. If they were going to add this feature then it would be better to come up with a whole new building than try to reuse the sentries. Are they going to come up with a whole new building just to add this feature? Probably not.

The more I think about it one thing stands out. Whatever way you try to shape it, sentries are a defensive weapon and they always will be. If they don't want that then just remove them from the game.
  • AyeAyeMacAyeAyeMac Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162025Members
    I really like this idea. But I think it would be cool if they were permanent structure's. Maybe have it so there can be only one per Power node, then make them either really expensive, or require a bunch of research/upgrades. This way they would be a cool end game upgrade for Marines, placed at choke points to help control the map.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Personally, not a fan.

The role of a Sentry is to 1) hold a region and 2) provide extra damage during a defense.

Temporary sentries fail miserably that first aspect. Sure you can speed drop them if an area falls under attack, but that doesn't fit thematically. Nor does the concept of invest-to-defend-region that turrets represent.

Offensive Turrets should be left for Siege/Arc guns.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1989568:date=Oct 11 2012, 04:24 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Oct 11 2012, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1989568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, not a fan.

The role of a Sentry is to 1) hold a region and 2) provide extra damage during a defense.

Temporary sentries fail miserably that first aspect. Sure you can speed drop them if an area falls under attack, but that doesn't fit thematically. Nor does the concept of invest-to-defend-region that turrets represent.

Offensive Turrets should be left for Siege/Arc guns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which IS Their role, i dont know why uwe tried to make the defense side of robotics builds OFFENSIVE instead of DEFENSIVE, quite estupid.