Focus for Kharaa (=Shotgun for Marines)

Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Slowing attackrate but increasing damageoutput</div>Hi there,

It might be a suggestion resulted duo to the build 220 but anyhow I'd like to ask for consideration.
Many alien players complain about the high difficulty for skulks to kill a marine at all since the last build and honestly - I do so too.

It's so frustrating when approaching a marine from the ceiling and being able to just land a maximum of 1 bite or maybe 2 before he can react, turn around and kill you with a single shot of the shotgun. Even carapace doesnt change that once the first weapon upgrades are made.

(Why did u even implement a weapon that kills with a single shot?)

In lategame situations once the weapon and armor upgrades are researched skulks are useless at all. You have to hit 5 to 6 times with melee to kill a marine while you possess the disadvantage of only having a melee attack (vs range on marine-side).

How shall a skulk be able to kill a marine who has much more armor and more time to hit (as the skulk approaches)? Only chance is, that you are jumping around like crazy while still trying to get some hits in close range. Experienced marine players anyhow just wait for the moment you reach them and shoot a single time to kill you.
I've seen marine players with a K:D of 37:3. Do you really think this is balanced at all? And this player indeed has been attacked several times by more then just 2 skulks at the same time.

And before s.b. argues with: "Get higher lifeforms before they get weapon upgrades". Well yes - you are right. But once you die to a group of marines you'll most probably be skulk for the rest of the game. On the other side - if a marine dies - he or a teammate can just pickup the dropped weapon and nothing is really lost at all.

Well - enough complaining on this side. I'd like to introduce the upgrade, which was once available in NS1 too - the <b>focus</b> upgrade.
Skulks and all the other lifeforms should have the chance in lategame situations to at least do more damage when they are able to land a hit at all. (To make it completely fair it must be a one hit kill ability versus marines without any armor upgrades once we compare it to shotguns)
But thats not the deal. The upgrade doesnt have to kill s.b. with a single hit - there shouldnt be any ability or weapon in the game to do that at all. However, giving skulks the opportunity to kill marines with less attacks might worth a thought - especially in lategame situations.

It's nearly impossible to hit a JP marine 5 times while he is in the air since the adrenaline upgrade change. You can use leap 3 times before you run out of energy. Until you've regenerated enough to approach for a second time the marine in most cases killed you already or has been healed by the comm.

I'd be happy to see some replies on that.

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    edited September 2012
    Either a shotty adjustment (accuracy and clip size rather than raw upclose damage) or a legitimate alien answer would be nice. Id prefer the first since we arent going to get focus any time soon without some serious rethinks, its just the more likely option. Basically its that the 20 res, reusable weapon which can be up at 1 minuet into the game is just the best overall. But what other option do marines have? If HMG was added as another possible weapon choice for later game stuff then the shotty could be less insane but again, feature lock for 1.0 we arent going to see anything major change. Come to think of it I still havent heard a reason why there is no HMG...
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    Yeah I think skulk attack damage should scale with Hive numbers don't think any other ailen should get this as they are more balanced for late game but truth is that a fresh spwan marine late game can have a massive advantage with both lvl3 upgrades were as a skulk has the same damage as he started the game with ok yes he gets his cara celerity and maybe a shade upgrade but sneaking up on a lvl 3 marine does no gd as it take 5 hits to kill even if you get the first couple of bites in with his lvl 3 lmg he shreds you to bits before you can get the last couple in. I think the problem is that they make the ailen go to higher lifeforms and yeah i get it but remember that the highlife forms cost alot of pres so for a lot of ppl they play alot of the game as skulk why should this get less fun as the game goes on ? doesn't happen to marines ! they start killing things faster with there lmg :P

I think this would work best Camo upgrade if the skulks bite a marien from full camo it should deal double damage this would not be enough to kill him with lvl 3 armour but would only leave 1 bite left this on lvl 2 or below marines is like how we feel when we get 1 shoted with a shotgun and is easily defended against by using scans and obs
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lerk spikes should be the answer to this, at T2 and with proper 'shotgun damage' it would at least allow for the lerk to deal with pesky armored jetpackers.
    That being said, there's definitely an issue with skulks not scaling properly into the late game, and I seriously believe they should tie A and W 3 to double CCs at the very least, that way marines can't just turtle on 1 CC and still be incredibly effective lategame. (much unlike aliens)
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    Yeah 1 cc and they still have all their upgrades and the only thing they can't use is JP's or EXO's that seems a bit off to me :P even more so when u think that we loss any abilty to fight back if we loss our 2nd hive ie we loss leap ,BB,Spores and Blink in 1 swop anyway I know the games are coming out at 50 50 or near it so I find it hard to say that things aren't balanced but I would like to see maybe the GL's getting locked out if they loss 2nd cc to stop these long draw out games you get when ailens can't break the last base coz they are just spamming GL's every where
  • ataraxiaataraxia Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161254Members
    how about something like adrenal glands from starcraft for zerglings. Instead of upping damage for direct mirroring of the shotgun(high power dmg for high power dmg), they increase the rate of attack of bite by 50-100%. Sigh, if only we weren't so close to shipping.
  • CitronasCitronas Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155742Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985976:date=Oct 1 2012, 09:16 PM:name=ataraxia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ataraxia @ Oct 1 2012, 09:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about something like adrenal glands from starcraft for zerglings. Instead of upping damage for direct mirroring of the shotgun(high power dmg for high power dmg), they increase the rate of attack of bite by 50-100%. Sigh, if only we weren't so close to shipping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check out drifters. They only increase by 25%, but thats a start
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Well ns2c has it in, as far as I know it hasnt ever been played with (at all recently scertinatly), so itll be interesting to see how it affects things in ns2c
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Warms my inner gorge belly to see a topic on Focus.

Instead of hypothesizing, I'd rather experiment with Focus first-hand to see the effects.

If it doesn't work out, I would also welcome skulk damage/armor scaling with hive.

<!--quoteo(post=1986263:date=Oct 2 2012, 03:48 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Oct 2 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well ns2c has it in, as far as I know it hasnt ever been played with (at all recently scertinatly), so itll be interesting to see how it affects things in ns2c<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully when release comes, more players will be open to mods.
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This is when I miss xenocide.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    As a mostly alien player myself I would relish in having focus being added to this. Gives a reason to put up a shade hive first as thats where I think it would go, and remove hypermutation..
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Would love to see this over hypermutation as well. It was a really solid ability.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986632:date=Oct 3 2012, 02:05 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Oct 3 2012, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986632"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would love to see this over hypermutation as well. It was a really solid ability.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I rather not have focus compete over celerity/loladren.

Focus is a shade tech. Replace camouflage with it.

But don't expect this to happen. I've suggested this for months with zero responses.

Apparently there would be too much crying if focus made it's way back in by the CoD kiddie playerbase.
  • FlamesFlames Join Date: 2005-02-04 Member: 39754Members
    Move fein death over to the crag hive. Bring back focus on the shade hive.

Problem solved.

Happy days!

Ofc this will never happen :(