Client and Server differ!

AgentXAgentX Join Date: 2003-05-17 Member: 16420Members
edited September 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">upon server choice this message appears</div>I have been playing NS2 for a while now and performance has never been an issue. I noticed Steam was updating my game over the past two days. I had recently been laid up for medical reasons and tried to load game today and upon selection of server to play on I got the message "Client and Server differ". HELP I attempted to connect to multiple servers before realizing the game just isn't going to play.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Recheck your Steam Cache files to see if that helps :)
  • ZerohourrctZerohourrct Join Date: 2007-01-18 Member: 59671Members
    Also having the same issue, with steam, validated all files successfully.
  • fragmaster24fragmaster24 Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73132Members
    I got this message as well when I tried to join a server yesterday. I had assumed it was because a patch had just hit, and the server wasn't running the new code yet. I tried a different server and was able to join fine.
  • AgentXAgentX Join Date: 2003-05-17 Member: 16420Members
    I tried many servers to no avail. How do you recheck your steam cashe files?
    In the steam games library browser, right click on Natural Selection 2 and choose Properties. From there go to the Local Files tab, and choose Verify Integrity of Game Cache. This will check your local game files against Steam's servers to see if the checksum matches. Should anything differ, it will download the nonconforming files again.
    That worked, I had 57 corruped files that it fixed. Now I also had a gift of NS2 to give away so I gave it to my son. Does he need Half Life game to play NS 2 on Steam?
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1985886:date=Oct 2 2012, 01:17 AM:name=AgentX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AgentX @ Oct 2 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That worked, I had 57 corruped files that it fixed. Now I also had a gift of NS2 to give away so I gave it to my son. Does he need Half Life game to play NS 2 on Steam?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    He can't play it yet though. The gift copies are only for the official release of the game in October.
    edited October 2012
    OK I got the game to start working but on many servers the game starts to load out and stops at "Downloading Mod". When I waited half a day and it didn't begin a game I felt something was wrong. I went to CTRL, ALT, DEL and closed the game and tried a dozen times with same results. Game freezes. Is there a easier way to get the MODS for a server. I know on NS1 you could go to many sites and download mods and maps and they would self extract to the current game. Any advice? Any thoughts?
  • leonfromleonfrom Join Date: 2012-09-01 Member: 157207Members
    I get the same message and checked my cache files theyre fine... Help? Just installed btw...
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try deleting the folder Workshop in %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\

(Press Win+R and paste this in %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\)
  • draugdeldraugdel Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58243Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986426:date=Oct 3 2012, 03:41 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Oct 3 2012, 03:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try deleting the folder Workshop in %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\

(Press Win+R and paste this in %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, that worked for me. :)
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    edited October 2012
    I can literally not join any of the servers with people on them, triede every single one, keeps getting this message, have deleted the files one person suggested, have verified cache, and have reinstalled the game 3 times now.

Wonderful. :/

Is everyone played the last version of what is wrong?.
    <!--quoteo(post=1987125:date=Oct 4 2012, 07:18 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Oct 4 2012, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1987125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can literally not join any of the servers with people on them, triede every single one, keeps getting this message, have deleted the files one person suggested, have verified cache, and have reinstalled the game 3 times now.

Wonderful. :/

Is everyone played the last version of what is wrong?.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) Can we get your system specs?
    2) Is steam installed on the drive where windows is located? (Generally C:/)
    <blockquote>2b) if so, do you also have NS2 installed on this drive? </blockquote>
    3) when you uninstalled/reinstalled, was this done via steam, or through control panel?
    4) have you played previous builds of the game?
    <blockquote>4b)if so, only seen this issue on this build of the game, or have you seen it before?</blockquote>
    5) If you have any mods enabled, try disabling all of them (from the mods main menu item)
    6) can you start your own personal explore mode server? (done via going to "Tutorial -> explore mode" (if I recall correctly, could be done elsewhere)
    7) finally, load up the game (to the main menu), then immediate exit. This will create a fresh log of just your startup values, and your exit parameters. Then copy the contents of:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->%APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2\log.txt<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

into your post.

Hopefully these can narrow down the problem for me or someone else ;)
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Seems to be working now oddly enough, not sure if i was just totally unlucky to select all the old servers. or if a reboot or whatever solved it. But seems to be working at the moment, will report back should there be problems again.

Thanks.