What about Dynamic Infestation?

VeknissVekniss Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140323Members
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4</a>

I know perfectly well this was years back but I need some clarification here. Are the developers still trying to refine the Infestation aesthetic or did it not make it into the game? Right now I am a bit concerned because they are no longer adding any new features and would love to see something like what was displayed in the video present within the game.
Anybody want to help me out here?

EDIT: On a side note, is it possible to infest vents? That would be so nice to see it spread literally everywhere!

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    You cant infest vents
    Iv seen forum mods claim current infestation is 'dynamic'.
    Additionally this patch loads of vents seem to have dissipeared from maps.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    To answer your question, Dynamic Infestation is not making it into 1.0. Whether or not it will be added afterwards is up to UWE, but I believe they've said it's one of the areas they want to look in to.
  • VeknissVekniss Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140323Members
    I guess one can only hope then, thanks for the answers gentlemen.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    That video is a proof of concept prototype, having it very thick like the video would make cysts invisible.
    Plus I'd rather have it as is than kill my FPS for some silly, irrelevant graphical fluff.

Infestation will always be cyst based because marines need to be able to kill it with the hatchet, because requiring a flamethrower to clean it out is insanely tedious and boring.
    Having it grow "dynamically" (randomly) around would also be a nightmare for the Khamm, especially when he want to expand in a certain area but the infestation doesn't feel like it.

Just imagine if creep tumors in Starcraft 2 spawned creep in random directions.
    There were actually issues with this in the SC2 beta and it was changed to a perfect round, symmetrical spread.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    Marines only need to kill infestation with axes because UWE has made it grow so quickly. I'm hoping for an after-release mod that features slow-growing infestation that damages buildings/nodes and can only be killed by flamethrowers.

And Dynamic doesn't mean random. I don't know how you got that, considering the words are practically opposite.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited September 2012
    As long as Gorges can accelerate DI growth with Heal Spray, I will be a happy camper :)

The "Cystem" is probably staying as is... with polishing of course (random zits appearing out of thin air?). Oh and tentacles, can't forget those.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The cyst-based gameplay is here to stay. Improving the effect to be nicer like that instead of just a flat texture is on their to-do list after 1.0.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    They could keep cysts, but make the infestation spread from one cyst to another instead of overlapping patches.

When it spreads it could look like it does in the early video.

That wouldn't affect game play for either team much.

The vines would be the first thing to grow out, quickly, and swirl together to form a cyst. Then the infestation could grow along the path laid out by the vines.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    ^

I'm ok with this, just as long as it doesn't eat up FPS like mad.
    Maybe we'll have something like this in 1.1 or whatever the first huge patch will be called.
  • VeknissVekniss Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985232:date=Sep 30 2012, 04:20 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 30 2012, 04:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That video is a proof of concept prototype, having it very thick like the video would make cysts invisible.
    Plus I'd rather have it as is than kill my FPS for some silly, irrelevant graphical fluff.

Infestation will always be cyst based because marines need to be able to kill it with the hatchet, because requiring a flamethrower to clean it out is insanely tedious and boring.
    Having it grow "dynamically" (randomly) around would also be a nightmare for the Khamm, especially when he want to expand in a certain area but the infestation doesn't feel like it.

Just imagine if creep tumors in Starcraft 2 spawned creep in random directions.
    There were actually issues with this in the SC2 beta and it was changed to a perfect round, symmetrical spread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think I should have been more specific. I am %100 fine with the cyst mechanic, it is just the appearance of the infestation I would like to see in addition to its effect on the environment. For example, I want it to warp the area around it with growth bulging out and scrambling electronics (though that may be a bit much, they mentioned it earlier). I would also like to see the new appearance of the infestation as seen in the video.

If I could think of anything else I would want, I'd like to infest vents.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    A bit of clarification:

"Dynamic infestation", i.e. infestation that spreads dynamically around the level as opposed to the static infestation that was in NS1, is already in the game. The cyst mechanic by which it spreads is here to stay.

High quality infestation that uses proper procedurally generated geometry (like in the video) is still planned, but won't make it into 1.0. Max has started on getting it working, and it already looks awesome, but couldn't get it done in time for lockdown, so has gone back to working on performance until 1.0 ships.
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I think dynamic infestation will be long down the line after the 1.0
    As it's has not been marketed to new comers and they don't even know about it.

Also it's a cosmetic feature, there are so many other issues jet to fix.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985507:date=Oct 1 2012, 02:11 AM:name=Insane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insane @ Oct 1 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A bit of clarification:

"Dynamic infestation", i.e. infestation that spreads dynamically around the level as opposed to the static infestation that was in NS1, is already in the game. The cyst mechanic by which it spreads is here to stay.

High quality infestation that uses proper procedurally generated geometry (like in the video) is still planned, but won't make it into 1.0. Max has started on getting it working, and it already looks awesome, but couldn't get it done in time for lockdown, so has gone back to working on performance until 1.0 ships.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so the infestation generated by the cysts is going to look like the infestation in the video?
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Here's what they say officially:<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Charlie: "Max has been working on something in his spare time...I think it's pretty cool"
    May: "Yeah, I'm not very satisfied with what's in the game right now, I think Cory isn't either - so we'd like to get something in that looks cooler. We'll see" (that means after 1.0 - working on balance/performance is priority).

There seems to be something, so no worries.
  • OrzOrz Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71069Members
    I'm glad there was a topic on this - I was tempted to bring it up again, even just to hear the current word from the devs.

For the record, the current infestation model isn't really, truly "dynamic" - it grows to a specific radial amount, but that's basically it - the real 'dynamics' that we'd all love to see - such as creeping into/filling power nodes and blocking them, etc, are hopefully still coming.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about all that has been cut from 1.0 (Onos door smash, dynamic infestation, railgun etc etc) - I've waited several years, and I can wait a bit longer. I just appreciate having word from the devs/knowing that these things are still planned (and I think I speak for everyone when I say that)
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1985552:date=Oct 1 2012, 05:21 AM:name=Orz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Orz @ Oct 1 2012, 05:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm glad there was a topic on this - I was tempted to bring it up again, even just to hear the current word from the devs.

For the record, the current infestation model isn't really, truly "dynamic" - it grows to a specific radial amount, but that's basically it - the real 'dynamics' that we'd all love to see - such as creeping into/filling power nodes and blocking them, etc, are hopefully still coming.

Personally, I'm not too bothered about all that has been cut from 1.0 (Onos door smash, dynamic infestation, railgun etc etc) - I've waited several years, and I can wait a bit longer. I just appreciate having word from the devs/knowing that these things are still planned (and I think I speak for everyone when I say that)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I made a topic talking about how the devs should wait and add this stuff in then release but everyone said that stuff wouldn't effect gameplay THAT BADLY so it could wait till after v1.0. and yes devs please actually say something in that reguard
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1985565:date=Oct 1 2012, 01:01 PM:name=Cyberwarrior00785)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyberwarrior00785 @ Oct 1 2012, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I made a topic talking about how the devs should wait and add this stuff in then release but everyone said that stuff wouldn't effect gameplay THAT BADLY so it could wait till after v1.0. and yes devs please actually say something in that reguard<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, they did say something in the QnA on Twitch that Max is working on something DI related, which might make it in before v1.0. Also we didn't say it wouldn't affect gameplay all that much, we said they should wait for after post 1.0 so they can switch to a slower release schedule (1-2 weekly to 4 weekly) so the new features can be tested more, also for higher quality standard per patch.

But as I keep saying... Performance and balancing FAR OUTWEIGH new features. Features can always be added, performance is what drives people away when they buy a game that is no longer in Beta. They expect it to have good performance and balance, but even balancing can be tweaked after it goes gold.

1. Performance
    2. Balancing
    3. New features