Sketchup support

[R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
<div class="IPBDescription">as a level design tool</div>If someone at UWE would spend a little time and make this possible, map production would speed up immensely. I use it all the time at work and it has been adopted by more and more studios as "the" level design tool. I've already explored exporting from sketchup to vmf format then importing to spark with very poor results (scale and faces are all messed up). I honestly find the spark level editor very clunky when trying to create/edit polys. Just a suggestion but I think the time invested in making this happen would reap a ton of benefits.

Comments

• Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    +1 - I love sketchup and can run it on a mac...
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    I have all but given up in attempting to import any editable geometry from sketchup to spark level editor and am exploring another possibility. Could someone with knowledge of the engine explain how the occlusion works. Would it be even feasible to model out basic geometry sections (simple floor/wall pieces) and assemble the map geometry as models. This would basically serve as a greybox pass with simple geometry and textures. This obviously is not my preference but I'm considering it unless someone else has a better idea.
    So nobody knows how the occlusion culling works?
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    There have been much discussion and alot of heads nodding, agreeing in the internal chat.
    But for now, allmost all work goes towards optimizasion and bug fixing, atleast untill release.
    From my understanding the Devs will strike down hard on the tools after 1.0
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited September 2012
    Workaround:

Google Sketchup -> Export (VMF-Plugin for Valve HL2-Map Format called VMF) -> Open VMF-File in Spark Editor

<a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SketchUp_Source%20(=HL2-Engine)_Tools" target="_blank">Sketchup Source Tools</a>
    > <a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SketchUp_to_Hammer_Export_plugin" target="_blank">Sketchup to Hammer (HL2-Engine-Editor) Export Plugin</a>

You should be able to export your google sketchup drawings to VMF and open the VMF with the Spark Editor.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982891:date=Sep 25 2012, 03:20 PM:name=Joseppe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joseppe @ Sep 25 2012, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Workaround:

Google Sketchup -> Export (VMF-Plugin for Valve HL2-Map Format called VMF) -> Open VMF-File in Spark Editor

<a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SketchUp_Source%20(=HL2-Engine)_Tools" target="_blank">Sketchup Source Tools</a>
    > <a href="https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SketchUp_to_Hammer_Export_plugin" target="_blank">Sketchup to Hammer (HL2-Engine-Editor) Export Plugin</a>

You should be able to export your google sketchup drawings to VMF and open the VMF with the Spark Editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks, however I have already explored this and found that everything gets messed up somewhere along this process. I have since gotten my question answered in the live QA session today. Moving forward I think I am just going to create a modular system of hallways in 3dsMax and use models in place of spark created polygons until such time that the Spark level editing tools are better supported.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    /agree geometry creation/editing tools in Spark are pretty unusable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2003-11-28 Member: 23688
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would it be even feasible to model out basic geometry sections (simple floor/wall pieces) and assemble the map geometry as models.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to know something similar, I've not touched spark yet. In UDK brushes are only used if you want to, it's normal to make pretty much everything within max/maya or whatever, bring it over to the editor and instance your meshes around. Can you work that way with spark in theory without performance suffering?

I ask because I'm whipping up some hallway assets were little or no brushwork would be visually needed
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1985149:date=Sep 30 2012, 11:13 AM:name=Reeke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Reeke @ Sep 30 2012, 11:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to know something similar, I've not touched spark yet. In UDK brushes are only used if you want to, it's normal to make pretty much everything within max/maya or whatever, bring it over to the editor and instance your meshes around. Can you work that way with spark in theory without performance suffering?

I ask because I'm whipping up some hallway assets were little or no brushwork would be visually needed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, spark takes advantage of prop instancing.