[Idea] Limit marine jump after bitten

ThromboThrombo Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160308Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
I will preface this by saying that, as was the case in NS1, I prefer commanding in this game on either side to playing as either alien or marine, and I'm not a particularly fantastic skulk.

That said, I am actually pleased with the new skulk bite modeling (cone and range) and think overall it has been a positive change. There is one thing that I find to be <b>extremely</b> annoying, however, and that's when marines jump while engaged. Because by necessity I'm on top of the marine while engaged as a skulk, when he jumps, I find myself often trying to 'find' him again, for lack of a better word. Marines have a similar problem with small skulks jumping all over, but have the benefit of range.

Essentially, the crux of the matter is that I don't think that a marine jumping while engaged with an alien causes more tactile fun for the marine player - it does, however, have a high probability of causing not-fun for the alien player. It's really frustrating when, as a skulk, you get the jump on a marine, and through acrobatics he's able to essentially confound your targeting him. I know it was this way in NS1 as well, but I think the problem, especially in the earlier game, was mitigated somewhat by the presence of focus.

The idea I'm suggesting is simple - for a short time (say 1-2 seconds) after being bitten by a skulk, a marine's jump is limited in some way...perhaps 70% of normal height, or something. The feedback to the marine should be obvious, so they know what's happened (grunts, groans, blood spurting, whatever).

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. ;)

Comments

• Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    No thanks, trying to evade melee attacks by strafing or jumping is half the fun. The jump is less useful than it was in NS1 anyway and to my knowledge it already has some inbuilt slow-on-landing mechanic.

Focus was also very rarely available in NS1's early game, because SC was usually not the first upgrade chamber.

The thing that bothers me the most in melee combat is the awful player collision (see the other thread).
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    There's nothing wrong with marine movement, they just need to fix the skulk, that way at least both classes remain fun and encounters aren't entirely lopsided in one class' favour like is currently the case. Rather than dumbing down the game further, by nerfing marine movement, they need to bring the skulk on level again. There's already been far too much of the dumbing down in NS2 as it is.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I would agree, but only when playing skulk.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    edited September 2012
    There's nothing really wrong with marine movement. It actually feels maybe a bit slow to me. The problem is that as skulk, biting a jumping marine is a huge guessing game with the net code. This may also be a net code problem: the collision is really slippery, and half the time it feels like even though you walk right up to a marine and smoosh into him, he can run through you instead. (edit: Oh actually there is a whole thread on that issue, so I'm not alone in that feeling)

This isn't on topic, but there seems to be a bug with skulk movement in 220 (may have been in 219) where the wall jumping will teleport them extremely quickly to another wall.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->Moved to Ideas & Suggestions
    --Mouse<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ThromboThrombo Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160308Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981801:date=Sep 22 2012, 10:47 AM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Sep 22 2012, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't on topic, but there seems to be a bug with skulk movement in 220 (may have been in 219) where the wall jumping will teleport them extremely quickly to another wall.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, perhaps alleviating/fixing this will resolve whatever issue I'm seeing. Thanks for pointing that out. As far as movement, I wasn't really suggesting that marines movement be hampered. I merely think that as it stands right now it's disproportionately difficult to track an enemy - trivial for marines, really, even whilst jumping/dodging, and comparatively difficult for skulks, due to screen obstruction while biting, speed, and necessity of short range.

Anywho, thanks everybody for the comments. I can see I am alone in my thinking. :D
  • StergearyStergeary Join Date: 2010-07-05 Member: 72252Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I find that it's also an issue that biting a Marine that is jumping actually pushes him away from you.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981937:date=Sep 23 2012, 05:15 AM:name=Thrombo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrombo @ Sep 23 2012, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, perhaps alleviating/fixing this will resolve whatever issue I'm seeing. Thanks for pointing that out. As far as movement, I wasn't really suggesting that marines movement be hampered. I merely think that as it stands right now it's disproportionately difficult to track an enemy - trivial for marines, really, even whilst jumping/dodging, and comparatively difficult for skulks, due to screen obstruction while biting, speed, and necessity of short range.

Anywho, thanks everybody for the comments. I can see I am alone in my thinking. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are not alone. I and others have posted about this many times but I personally stopped due to some nasty replies I received in one thread. I see many comments in game about it too. I don't mind bhop and jumping in some games such as Quake and Unreal but for me it doesn't fit in NS2. Its still the only thing about NS2 I don't like.

Marines should be ranged as has been discussed many times before. They have weapons, nano shield, med packs, an axe, rifle melee, a pistol as back up and usually a few marines near them so to also let them jump around like they do to me is too much. Once jet packs come into play which I have seen as early as 6 minutes recently they have more than enough extra movement for a very cheap price. I have suggested not being able to fire weapons while jumping like DoD but I like your idea as well.

Fast melee and movement based combat for Aliens and slow ranged combat for Marines please.

Sal
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    No jumping while shoot/reload.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Limit skulk jump when shot.

No skulk jumping while biting.

Fair is fair.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981791:date=Sep 22 2012, 01:20 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Sep 22 2012, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981791"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No thanks, trying to evade melee attacks by strafing or jumping is half the fun. The jump is less useful than it was in NS1 anyway and to my knowledge it already has some inbuilt slow-on-landing mechanic.

Focus was also very rarely available in NS1's early game, because SC was usually not the first upgrade chamber.

The thing that bothers me the most in melee combat is the awful player collision (see the other thread).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way the game is SUPPOSED to be balanced is that 1v1 skulk v basic marine the skulk should have an easy time winning. However when more marines start to work together thats when even more than one alien starts to have a problem. Marine gameplay is supposed to be squad based, with the marines covering eachother. One marine being able to keep 3-4 skulks from killing him for any length of time just by jumping around like an idiot damages this balance.

Ramboing as marines should not be encouraged in any way, so I agree with OP's suggestion. If marines play the way they are supposed to this change will not affect them.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1982033:date=Sep 23 2012, 09:55 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Sep 23 2012, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Limit skulk jump when shot.

No skulk jumping while biting.

Fair is fair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really considering skulks and have little to nothing in common with marines. But Im sure a bright fellow like you could figure that out, or not.

<!--quoteo(post=1981982:date=Sep 23 2012, 06:06 AM:name=Salraine_Chi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Salraine_Chi @ Sep 23 2012, 06:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are not alone. I and others have posted about this many times but I personally stopped due to some nasty replies I received in one thread. I see many comments in game about it too. I don't mind bhop and jumping in some games such as Quake and Unreal but for me it doesn't fit in NS2. Its still the only thing about NS2 I don't like.

Marines should be ranged as has been discussed many times before. They have weapons, nano shield, med packs, an axe, rifle melee, a pistol as back up and usually a few marines near them so to also let them jump around like they do to me is too much. Once jet packs come into play which I have seen as early as 6 minutes recently they have more than enough extra movement for a very cheap price. I have suggested not being able to fire weapons while jumping like DoD but I like your idea as well.

Fast melee and movement based combat for Aliens and slow ranged combat for Marines please.

Sal<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But then I wouldnt be able to show how much better I am then everyone else at the movement system! That is totally unacceptable!
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Played a few games today and realized the main issue was just clipping through marines. It might have had to do with lag but while I was running into a marine attempting to bite him I'd maybe get one bite off before i'd just clip straight on through the marine. The lag may have made it look like he clipped through me though when in fact he just jumped over.

Still<b> the simple act of jumping around like an idiot should not be so effective at dodging attacks from an agile animalistic attacker.</b>