Skulk Disscussion(B220)

BiteyBitey Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151622Members, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Constructive ideas only <3</div>In my personal view, I rather enjoy the revision to basic alien lifeform. The change to skulk movement, has made it easier to convey the methods of which skulk jumping work with very little room for error. My idea on skill based movement, is that if it's not easy to do or easy to convey with words it should be revised or removed.

"Leap off walls for more speed and high places for extra speed!!!" Very straight forward and one line to explain.

"Leap off walls, as fast as you can. Turning around to jump off the other wall, then leap back to gain speed. Then repeat this cycle, you gain extra speed over time built up. Then maintain this by flying around......" Roughly sorta close to what the old system was in my own goofy words. It was rather tricky to explain, a slight challenge to master and rather difficult to remain with perfect timings. It also rewarded spammyness typically rather then much timing or depth based method to smoothly gain full speed boosting.

My opinion is that the problem now lies in the rather paper thin skin of a skulk and the rather lowish speed for skulks. A slight buff to the speeds of skulk or hp could make the lifeform more viable. Perhaps the base armor level raised by 5-10 points to allow for a meaty skulk. This would also mean a slight buff to cara skulk would be in order. Being that speeds are less likely to be as explosively fast, in theory this could pan out for a successful solution fix.

Start contested but respectful debate now <3~

Offtopic: Upcoming lerk change looks good. Vaguely like an Idea I emailed to Charlez <33

Comments

• NoxZANoxZA Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159814Members
    For the Skulk to even stand a chance against experienced marines they have to have some sort of movement mechanic, or a flat out movement speed increase. A skulk moving at a speed of 7 is just too easy to shoot down, even if he is climbing all over the place. This is why wall jumping was so effective, it was a way to increase your speed and get up close and personal with the marines while also giving you the ability to dodge around quickly.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yeah the skulk definitely needs some love.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    Learn how to BunnyJump & aim but when marines gets higher armor Skulks now are useless just like in NS1.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    - Nerf marine melee
    - Increase skulk bite cone
    - Reduce skulk size a tad
    - Improve wall jumping to make it actually useful.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    As Tim said. The above need to be done, in addition to stopping the collisions being screwed up. So often do I just slide through a marine.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited September 2012
    - disable "jump" for mariens while shooting or reloading (on the other side: I can solve crossword puzzles while jumping. Reloading while jumping is maybe not so unrealistic in the future :> )
  • iClearSkiesiClearSkies Join Date: 2012-09-22 Member: 160359Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1981747:date=Sep 22 2012, 06:51 AM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Sep 22 2012, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- disable "jump" for mariens while shooting or reloading (on the other side: I can solve crossword puzzles while jumping. Reloading while jumping is maybe not so unrealistic in the future :> )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i 100% agree jumping while shooting would be awesome and a great builder. i sense a LUA mod coming up
  • geejiigeejii Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159028Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    At the momemt, skulk is very broken. You will lose every 1on1 situation, and as marine with sg, you can easily win 1on4 situations. That is just madness. With help of new damage indicator, it is easy to see if hit or not. Most of the time, bite just don't connect. But when switched to fade, everything seems normal. I don't exactly know what is wrong with skulks. Speed and hp are fine, but damage dealing seems to be broken somehow. And sometimes single skulks just runs thru couple marines, and it seems it one shots marine.

From my experience, marines seems to win now +80% games, even with random teams. That's no acceptable.
  • BeelzebubBeelzebub Join Date: 2012-08-12 Member: 155506Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1981747:date=Sep 22 2012, 09:51 AM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Sep 22 2012, 09:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- disable "jump" for mariens while shooting or reloading (on the other side: I can solve crossword puzzles while jumping. Reloading while jumping is maybe not so unrealistic in the future :> )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't disable jump while shooting -.- disable shooting while jumping
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    from twitter

"Just fixed a problem where skulk bites weren't registering when a marine is clearly in your sights and close to you."