Projectile weapons

zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
<div class="IPBDescription">About damage vs amount of projectiles</div>More and more i get the feeling i'm firing cotton balls. These assault rifles are weak. I don't play aliens side much so i can't comment on their projectile weapons.

Anyway:
As marine gameplay goes like this: Ratatatatatat <reload> Ratatatatatat <reload> Ratatata... Alien/organism dead finally.
I get the feeling all projectile weapons are weak-ish. To make shootouts last longer perhaps??

Although i understand that logic it, imo, makes for somewhat tedius gameplay. When i go into battle i already know that there is just a slight chance i'm making a kill, unless my target isn't moving much and i hit him plenty. Most times though, i stand there spraying with my fellow marines and i can't help myself feeling a bit of a drag.. Spray entire clip, reload, spray entire clip, reload.. All of us.

I would be curious to see how gameplay would be if all projectiles simply did more damage. For marines and aliens. How would gameplay be if you feared your adversary more than you do now. You'd have to play more careful. I'm not talking one shot one kill but maybe adding half of the damage they do now. Maybe just a few variables adjusted, maybe a lot of them, i don't know. But i feel it's worth a shot.

Would it be difficult to make a mod where these values are tweaked, and more importantly, would there be people among you who would be interested in such an experiment / mod?

PS: Let's just say flames, lerk clouds etc all would be adjusted to compensate.

Comments

• 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Speaking as a skulk. PARASITE IS SO ######!!!! It needs serious buffs. I cant kill a damn thing with it!

On a more serious note, the guns do seem considerably less lethal than they were in ns1. As for spraying, the trick is firing in bursts at times when the enemy is easy to predict and hit few though those are.
  • Mr R0YB0T 0Mr R0YB0T 0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72972Members
    edited September 2012
    I completely disagree.
    Play on a server where you have under 50 ping and the difference is huge. With an exception to the Flamethrower, the marine weapons are plenty strong.

Edit: I am saying that the networking issues needs work, not the damage done by the marine weapons, besides the Flamethrower of course.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyway:
    As marine gameplay goes like this: Ratatatatatat <reload> Ratatatatatat <reload> Ratatata... Alien/organism dead finally.
    I get the feeling all projectile weapons are weak-ish. To make shootouts last longer perhaps??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are doing it incredibly wrong if it takes you 3 cycles to kill a skulk.

Instead of blowing your entire load at a skulk who's jumping around, try short bursts when you know it's going to hit them.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, what if I tell you that 10 rifle bullets kill a skulk and about 25-35 (depending on upgrades on both sides) kill a fade? Still too weak?
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    Play the aliens side, some of these guys don't miss...and they kill you pretty damn quick as a skulk.

Personally I would like to have the commander research accuracy. The assault rifle is "semi" weak in damage, because it shoots laser accurate bullets with no recoil.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978285:date=Sep 15 2012, 09:02 PM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Sep 15 2012, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, what if I tell you that 10 rifle bullets kill a skulk and about 25-35 (depending on upgrades on both sides) kill a fade? Still too weak?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lol that is a suprise.

Well reading all your replies it seems that the rifles aren't that weak. I'll wait a few patches and try again.

Cheers
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978236:date=Sep 15 2012, 01:11 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Sep 15 2012, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking as a skulk. PARASITE IS SO ######!!!! It needs serious buffs. I cant kill a damn thing with it!

On a more serious note, the guns do seem considerably less lethal than they were in ns1. As for spraying, the trick is firing in bursts at times when the enemy is easy to predict and hit few though those are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Parasite is genius. With no armor upgrades it takes two bites and one parasite to kill a marine. Now go and get some parasite kills, or easier bite kills.
  • OprahOprah Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155615Members
    It takes 9 shots to kill a vanilla skulk with a level 0 Assault Rifle. I don't see how they could buff that anymore.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978513:date=Sep 16 2012, 08:27 AM:name=Oprah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oprah @ Sep 16 2012, 08:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978513"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It takes 9 shots to kill a vanilla skulk with a level 0 Assault Rifle. I don't see how they could buff that anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fix hitreg so that it actually does take 9 shots as opposed to having to dump the entire clip into a Skulk to kill it.