Last used weapon ... again

StreifenHirnchenStreifenHirnchen Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67609Members
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
another year has passed and still no last used weapon key ... u srs guys?

only 2 lines of code that would make lots of player happy.

Comments

• TherealsmokeyTherealsmokey Join Date: 2007-09-18 Member: 62353Members
    Ran into this problem today. I am tired of spamming that I need meds when I just want to whip out my pistol. I bet the commanders are tired of this too.
  • BitcrusherBitcrusher Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156628Members
    There was a post already... but I guess we really want to make an impression to the Devs :D.. Menu mod lets you bind this key.
  • StreifenHirnchenStreifenHirnchen Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67609Members
    yeah but i dont want to mod my game for an "basic feature" ...
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    If you want to use your pistol try pressing "2"
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978043:date=Sep 15 2012, 04:21 AM:name=Bitcrusher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bitcrusher @ Sep 15 2012, 04:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There was a post already... but I guess we really want to make an impression to the Devs :D.. Menu mod lets you bind this key.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This mod keeps crashing my NS2 after a few minutes, so... and it's not only the "last used weapon". I personally would like to bind mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down with next/prev weapon just like I want, NS2 doesn't offer this as well.

If the mod wouldn't crash NS2 all the time it would be ok for me, but nevertheless this is a feature which should be in the basic NS2 options. I see so many players having this mod installed (and I wonder why it doesn't crash for them as well...), so why not implement it into NS2?! There are obviously many options the menumod offers which aren't in the NS2 game, so the devs should really think about adding these features to NS2!
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is a request from every competitive player as well. Its a must-have key bind...
  • AdreniAdreni Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159063Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978385:date=Sep 16 2012, 08:00 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Sep 16 2012, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want to use your pistol try pressing "2"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ahhh Mr. Heartburn strikes again.

Come on, man... do you really expect people to change their long-conditioned habits established by the vast majority of their shooter games library to just snap their fingers and switch to pressing "2"?

Sounds great in theory, but again this is a conditioned habit, and even without conditioning there are some things that are just VERY difficult to adjust to. I had the X and C keys (don't remember their functions) switched on my Nostromo in Dungeon Defenders after only a couple minutes of gameplay. I didn't quit hitting the wrong button until after I straightened them out into their default positions about a week or two later.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1978385:date=Sep 16 2012, 08:00 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Sep 16 2012, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want to use your pistol try pressing "2"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is the PC gaming market we're talking about. WE WANT OUR OPTIONS :P
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978604:date=Sep 16 2012, 01:01 PM:name=Adreni)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Adreni @ Sep 16 2012, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978604"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ahhh Mr. Heartburn strikes again.

Come on, man... do you really expect people to change their long-conditioned habits established by the vast majority of their shooter games library to just snap their fingers and switch to pressing "2"?

Sounds great in theory, but again this is a conditioned habit, and even without conditioning there are some things that are just VERY difficult to adjust to. I had the X and C keys (don't remember their functions) switched on my Nostromo in Dungeon Defenders after only a couple minutes of gameplay. I didn't quit hitting the wrong button until after I straightened them out into their default positions about a week or two later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not bind 'switch to pistol' on Q then? It doesn't really solve the problem, but it's...something.

I have Q as my push to talk button though. Good replacement for the medkit thing, since you can just tell the Comm that you need one instead of relying on that button for medkit calls and nothing else.
  • AdreniAdreni Join Date: 2012-09-12 Member: 159063Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978860:date=Sep 17 2012, 06:28 AM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 17 2012, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not bind 'switch to pistol' on Q then? It doesn't really solve the problem, but it's...something.

I have Q as my push to talk button though. Good replacement for the medkit thing, since you can just tell the Comm that you need one instead of relying on that button for medkit calls and nothing else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Now you've got me trying to figure out what to do with my control scheme! D;

What's E do? Maybe I can use that for voice... I wanna get used to using Q to switch because I'm playing through Black Mesa and beta testing Firefall (which uses numkeys for abilities, NOT for weapons. You get two weapons, so you only need Q.) and in the case of the latter I keep launching LRMs and loading ice bullets while trying to switch weapons. =.=;

No... I don't believe it CAN be remapped. I'm pretty sure Firefall only has a "Switch Weapon" key with no potential for specifics.

EDIT: Waaaait! =D I can just use my trackball's utility keys for stuff!
  • The_ThingThe_Thing Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13993Members
    Seconded, I found myself spamming Q while playing.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    By the way, you can use this awesome mod in the meantime to bind a last used weapon key... as well as many other browser improvements:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113246" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=113246</a>
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    i spam Q too and commanders are always like NO YOU DONT!!

That mod is good, but it gets tedious updating it all the time and when it stuffs up your game you have to disable it.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1979184:date=Sep 17 2012, 02:53 PM:name=Shaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shaker @ Sep 17 2012, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1979184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, you can use this awesome mod in the meantime to bind a last used weapon key... as well as many other browser improvements:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113246" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=113246</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u>I repeat myself again for you:</u> :-P

<!--quoteo(post=1978407:date=Sep 16 2012, 05:20 AM:name=Illidan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Illidan @ Sep 16 2012, 05:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This mod keeps crashing my NS2 after a few minutes, so... and it's not only the "last used weapon". I personally would like to bind mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down with next/prev weapon just like I want, NS2 doesn't offer this as well.

If the mod wouldn't crash NS2 all the time it would be ok for me, but nevertheless this is a feature which should be in the basic NS2 options. I see so many players having this mod installed (and I wonder why it doesn't crash for them as well...), so why not implement it into NS2?! There are obviously many options the menumod offers which aren't in the NS2 game, so the devs should really think about adding these features to NS2!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->