An idea to help aliens duing hive attacks/rushes

ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Just a little idea I have been having. But when there is a hive being attacked by exo's and marines are shooting up the place and Gl's are exploding everywhere there is a good chance, what ever life form you are, you will die. Then to respawn as a skulk in the same hive with no time to evolve upgrades, your resistance is going to be quite futile. So what I was thinking is later in the game, have a second hive upgrade or possibly it be a 3rd hive upgrade. Ill get around to what it is in a second.

Sightly off the point here but bear with me. But when you are an egg you have more armour then the skulk and when you spawn you lose this. And that brings me to the upgrade. For 15 res or more, the khamm can use use this upgrade which effects all eggs spawned by that hive, and lasts for 30 seconds/60 seconds. What this defensive upgrade would do is, any skulk spawning in keep all that armour from the egg when spawed, but only lasts for about 10 seconds and slowly reduces to there base armour after this time is up. After using this the khamm wouldn't be able to use it for a while, pissibly a few mins.

This will help an alien defence when they are in a very bad possition. I also think this might help with balance a bit as it takes longer for an alien team to destroy a base then a marine team (assuming the teams them selves are balances). Also with the small time scale in which it is in effect and the long periods till it can be reused, it would be purerly for defencive purposes and wouldn't server any porpose for attacks. This would most probably be a Crag hive evololution.

It was a quick idea which i just though of befor posting is so there is much room for improvement on the idea but I just wanted to see what you guys think?

Comments

• DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    Could be a permanent upgrade. If it lasts for ~10 seconds it won't ever be useful except in a situation where your hive is besieged. Therefore it can be permanent instead of an activated ability. I like the idea though. Prevents spawncamping.

Also, if it's permanent you can use the shifts and it's ability to spawn eggs and still have the extra armor.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah it could work as a permanant upgrade. It would give that one person (who likes to wander into a hive on his own and camp with his axe) something to think about and with that note, it could slightly improve the chances of the marines, in pub games, using team work.
  • Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
    +1. I like the idea. Currently it's a pain to defend hives. I'm also missing the teleportation system of ns1 in that case.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    I aswell think something should be done in this direction. On the other hand, it's the same for marines with their lmgs being spawned and they always spawn at the same position, not like the aliens on different ones.

It really takes time for the balancing and this approach would take very much time. I guess due to the release on october there won't be enough time :-/
    But nevertheless, I like your idea!
    It could be post release. It is really just something like the becon for the marines, not the the way its used, but that they are both used in desprate situations
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    This reminds me of a mod in NS1 where players were given invulnerbility for a few seconds after spawn to help with spawncamping.

Alternatively Aliens can spawn with umbra on them to give them a change to escape.

I personally prefer being able to spawn in another hive, upgrade, then Hive teleport, but Devs have mentioned they'd rather not. So this ia a plausible alternative!
  • lssj_dragonlssj_dragon Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155124Members
    Marines have that tech shield, aliens should get something similar imo.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975992:date=Sep 11 2012, 05:49 PM:name=lssj_dragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lssj_dragon @ Sep 11 2012, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines have that tech shield, aliens should get something similar imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why?

When possible, we'd like to keep Asymmetry. Do you have a compelling reason for this?
    Yeah Asymmetry is what this game is about. I think this is a Asymmetric defence upgrade to the marines becon of nanoshiled
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    it has been quite some time since i´ve last seen a Umbra-Cloud.
    should be rather simple to implement to get every bursting egg spawn a small Umbra Cloud, the newborn skulk would carry the effect for some seconds.(i mean the allready implemented effect that an alien that leaves the umbra cloud still carrys some of it for a few seconds)

btw. with "every bursting egg" i also mean killed eggs.
    and by "small Umbra Cloud" i mean about 2times the size of the egg.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976368:date=Sep 12 2012, 09:07 AM:name=Venatos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Venatos @ Sep 12 2012, 09:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976368"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it has been quite some time since i´ve last seen a Umbra-Cloud.
    should be rather simple to implement to get every bursting egg spawn a small Umbra Cloud, the newborn skulk would carry the effect for some seconds.(i mean the allready implemented effect that an alien that leaves the umbra cloud still carrys some of it for a few seconds)

btw. with "every bursting egg" i also mean killed eggs.
    and by "small Umbra Cloud" i mean about 2times the size of the egg.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if Marines get to spawn with Nano-Shield. It's easier for Aliens to spawn camp Marines than it is for Marines to do it to Aliens, because Marines only spawn in at IP's and you can tell when one is spawning in so you can prepare for it. Hives always have a mass of eggs around them and you have no idea which ones are going to pop out an Alien. And Marines will run out of ammo eventually, Aliens energy regenerates very quickly even without adren.

Asymmetry doesn't work in all aspects. Giving only one side spawn protection is one of those things that shouldn't be done. All or nothin', baby.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited September 2012
    Just spawn as skulk with all upgrades u have choosed in your last life.

Thats an annoying part of the game to reupgrading after every fu**ing dead. U are waiting 10-20 secs to spawn and then = Waste more time on waiting for choosing the upgrades and stare on this egg. Funny
  • lssj_dragonlssj_dragon Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155124Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1976119:date=Sep 11 2012, 11:01 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Sep 11 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why?

When possible, we'd like to keep Asymmetry. Do you have a compelling reason for this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm just speaking out loud, if you got a reason why aliens don't need it, or why marines do need it, I'd like to hear about it.

I also like Greedy's idea, being able to choose upgrades before you are hatched sounds good, (spawning with celerity is what I'm thinking about).
    I like the idea of choosing upgrades befor you spawn. Could work possibly
  • SplicerSplicer Join Date: 2012-04-23 Member: 150952Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1976739:date=Sep 12 2012, 06:24 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Sep 12 2012, 06:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1976739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea of choosing upgrades befor you spawn. Could work possibly<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Getting to select your upgrades while watching the spawn countdown would make the spawntimer a bit less annoying too.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    We need an upgrade for each tree that can be applied to eggs. Crag Hive Eggs cause Skulks to spawn with umbra or armor for a few seconds. Shade Hive eggs are invisible and spawn invisible Skulks for a short period of time. Shift Hive eggs start the Skulks off at speed 10 if they hold W when they spawn; spam jump off the ground or walls to keep the speed as long as you can!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    change crags to heal armor first -> problem solved
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977389:date=Sep 13 2012, 11:50 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 13 2012, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->change crags to heal armor first -> problem solved<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really. That's maybe an extra LMG bullet before you die?
    <!--quoteo(post=1977400:date=Sep 14 2012, 01:20 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 14 2012, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not really. That's maybe an extra LMG bullet before you die?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

10 cara = 46.67 eHP vs light damage, 23.33 eHP vs normal, 11.67 eHP vs heavy damage.
    10 health = 10 eHP vs all.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1977389:date=Sep 13 2012, 08:50 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 13 2012, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977389"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->change crags to heal armor first -> problem solved<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So u must tech to craghive and build several crags to benefit of this + problem is not realy solved.
    Just spawn with upgrades is the easiest and most uncomplicated way I see. It also improved the gameplay a bit. No one can say to me "oh yeah i LOVE to wait several times"
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was playing with enabling aliens to select their upgrades while dead in a development version of PG. I never got it working fully, as a NS2 update saw me leave that particular code branch behind, and PG now has a completely new design path.

The simple solution is while you are in the wave waiting to spawn, you have an upgrades only buy menu. This enables you to buy your upgrades before you spawn. There is also the possibility of allowing a full buy menu while dead, so that you could respawn in as a higher life-form. This would be more controversial, but would really help with defending hives. It may be OP too, but a buy menu while dead is not hard to implement. Only a few lines of code.
    <!--quoteo(post=1977584:date=Sep 14 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Mr.Greedy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Greedy @ Sep 14 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So u must tech to craghive and build several crags to benefit of this + problem is not realy solved.
    Just spawn with upgrades is the easiest and most uncomplicated way I see. It also improved the gameplay a bit. No one can say to me "oh yeah i LOVE to wait several times"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

with a shift hive khamm can teleport whips and crags into the hive
    with a shade hive khamm can trigger ink cloud or make illusions
    but crags are totally useless at 10 hp/tick.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b> 'Embryonic Shell'</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    my only problem is that my people keep dying, and whether marines die or not, the same ammount (Unless recycle and hide and seek or runaway traitors to humankind) It's always the same ammount of players, marines need to spawn slower.D:
    <!--quoteo(post=1977944:date=Sep 14 2012, 05:22 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 14 2012, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but crags are totally useless at 10 hp/tick.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats another case but its true. Particular higher Lifeforms like fade or onos(!) need min. 5 crags to benefit efficient from the passive effect. Thats sucks. Higher lifeforms need higher tickrates and crags should also heal armor first.
    <!--quoteo(post=1977587:date=Sep 14 2012, 02:04 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Sep 14 2012, 02:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977587"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was playing with enabling aliens to select their upgrades while dead in a development version of PG. I never got it working fully, as a NS2 update saw me leave that particular code branch behind, and PG now has a completely new design path.

The simple solution is while you are in the wave waiting to spawn, you have an upgrades only buy menu. This enables you to buy your upgrades before you spawn. There is also the possibility of allowing a full buy menu while dead, so that you could respawn in as a higher life-form. This would be more controversial, but would really help with defending hives. It may be OP too, but a buy menu while dead is not hard to implement. Only a few lines of code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well it wouldn't be OP if it helps defend. Since a marine team with exo's can obliterate a hive room quickly compared to an alien push. Also to be able to spawn as a higher life form would be OP if they still had to wait the evolve time. This just means an alien doesnt have to spawn then evolve, it just evolves when the spawn timer is finished. It makes it just a tad bit mor convenient