Still trying to get NS2 to work

TherealsmokeyTherealsmokey Join Date: 2007-09-18 Member: 62353Members
Typically I will have to quit out of NS2 the first time I open it and restart it in order to get the main menu working. So far it works on the second time, if the entire game doesn't crash out because of a fatal error. Then I try to join a game and get between 30 seconds and 3 minutes of playtime before I get another fatal error that crashes the game, unless the game crashes while on the loading screen. I wish I could give more details about my problem, but I have no idea how to interpret the error log. This is the most recent one I got, and I actually got to play the game long enough to make it out of spawn. Hopefully someone can make sense of it. Someone suggested that it might be faulty SSD or RAM, but I have played CSGO, ARMAII, TF2, and several other games with no problems. It has to be some kind of software issue, unless a sound card is that vital to the operation of the game (I have no sound card, just the integrated sound from the motherboard).

Comments

• RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hello mokey man!
    I'm no Bill Gates (ha) but can you supply us with your computer specs if possible?
  • TherealsmokeyTherealsmokey Join Date: 2007-09-18 Member: 62353Members
    edited September 2012
    Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA990FXE

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T 3.0 GHz

RAM: 8 GB (4 x 2GB Patriot) Dont remember the specs but I think it is DDR3 1600 off the top of my head.

DirectX Version: DirectX11

GPU: Radeon HD 6850 1GB

Disk Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120GB

Sound: Whatever came with the motherboard

NOTE: I have other crash logs, but they are too big to upload. I can email them somewhere if that helps.

If other things are needed I can look them up.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cheers.
    Have you tried updated all your drivers for your hardware?
    Like graphics drivers, the motherboard drivers (chipset, sound, etc)?
    edited September 2012
    Yes everything is uptodate. Also have PhysX downloaded.

On a sidenote I was only finally able to get past the main menu screen once I enabled triple buffering on my Graphics Card Menu. Are there other things I should change? For example I think Vsync is disabled, but I don't really know what the other things do.

These are the 3d application settings for my Graphics Card:

Anti Aliasing: Use application settings

Anisotropic filtering: Use application settings

Tessellation: AMD Optimized

Catalyst AI: It says "Texture filtering quality" and the performance side is selected. A box is checked for "Enable Surface Format Optimization

Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always Off
    Cool, yeah there are many things you can try, if your other games are running fine, it might be a setting it's not liking.
    Is it possible for you to go to the graphics options in the game itself?
    If you can, set all the settings to lower then you would normally (I'm not sure how low the resolution can go, at work currently) but like 1024x or 680x
    and then give that a try run and see if it doesn't crash after 3 minutes.
    Lowered resolution and graphics quality. Game crashed as soon as I joined a team. And I still have to quit out of NS2 and restart it in order to get the main menu working. That doesn't seem to be a graphics related issue. I always get those errors that are in the error log too. The ones having to do with sounds and shader something or other. Lots of errors, but I notice those repeatedly. I have already reinstalled the game, so I don't know what to think. I will get back to this thread tomorrow, I have to go to bed now.
    Okay no worries, if it is your onboard sound, I would suggest going into your BIOS at the start of your boot and disabling your onboard sound card, and just double check in your device manager that it is gone, and then try running the game.
    Good night & good luck tomorrow :)
    Went into BIOS, dont know where to go to disable the onboard sound. I looked in every section and I couldn't find anything.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Everyone gets these sound errors. The referenced sound events simply do not exist (yet?). No need to bother with anything sound card related.

Edit: Sorry, but this is your third thread already and it's getting really bloody annoying that we have to scrape together the information you posted in the other threads. People don't even realize you have multiple threads so they will just start all over again. If you don't want others to have any information about your case, then don't expect any useful help.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120919" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=120919</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120854" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=120854</a>

Fact is that NS2 is reloading files while you're playing. It should only do that when they are modified. So, the question is: <b>What is modifying your NS2 files while you are playing?</b>
    Sorry for creating multiple threads. I can't be on the forums frequently enough to get back in time to find them. They disappear amongst the numerous threads that pop up each day, and I don't know of any way to find them other than sifting through the list of threads. And I posted different log files in the other threads I think.

But about the problems I am having: What do I do to find out what is modifying my files? I mean, it has to happen as soon as I start up the game because I generally have to restart it at least once right off the bat in order to be able to click on anything in the main menu. Once I get into a game it is pretty much random for when I crash. Sometimes it is insta crash when I join a team, and other times it will crash 30 seconds to 2 minutes into the game.

Would the graphics settings on my video card have anything to do with it?