Other name for Alien comm

Pollux568Pollux568 Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25122Members
<div class="IPBDescription">like Overmind or Queen instead of Khamm</div>Hi everyone,

I have seen that very few people are using the word "khamm" in game to talk about the alien comm. It is indeed neither immersive nor explicit.
But I personally find that "Alien comm" doesn't fit so well, as the name "commander" is linked to military, to human (especially after NS1)&. And last but not least, when someone speaks about the "comm", there might be a confusion about which comm is involved ("comm sucks" : our comm, or their ?). Or we have to be explicit, which means losing time.

I suggest so a specific name for the alien comm which would be immersive and explicit at a time.
I thought to "Overmind": makes instantly think to a supreme entity, a dominating brain
Or "Queen": sounds like the must-be-protected alien, more important than all other creatures, the mother of all eggs

So, what do you think ? Or have you any other suggestions for the name of the alien comm ?

Comments

• Angry Hillbilly 2Angry Hillbilly 2 Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149741Members
    edited September 2012
    Well u see the reason its Khammander is because Charlie has a bit of Orkishness in him :P and so everything shall get ork names :P Im just waiting on that looted exo and big shootas for the aliens :P ...I still perfer Warboss tbh :P
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    It's very likely the players will always call it a commander, or khamm.

It's a play on words. In NS1 the aliens were called the Kharaa. They might still be, don't know. So the Kharaa commander is a khamm.

Pretty rad, right?

<i>I came up with it.</i>

Thank me later.
  • Ezr91aeLEzr91aeL Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158968Members
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    You can't choose a name, it is going to be whatever people call it. Generally "commander". Or Khammander
  • Silvereye89Silvereye89 Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157329Members
    To be honest I didn't care much about it yet and it doesn't matter much to me in the future i guess. On both teams i call the person with rts view comm and everybody knows who is meant. As in your example the word comm isn't used in teamchat but in allchat in connection to "sucks" its mostly a frustrated player who is referencing to his team's comm :)

All in all i wouldn't say that a new name for alien comm is necessary.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    bug-face..?
    No, I know.. Trollop!
  • Pollux568Pollux568 Join Date: 2004-01-07 Member: 25122Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975449:date=Sep 10 2012, 10:10 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Sep 10 2012, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975449"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't choose a name, it is going to be whatever people call it. Generally "commander". Or Khammander<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In fact, it depends how is it named in the game... If the score panel show "overmind" instead of "comm" for the alien comm, players will gradually call it "overmind" (or an abbreviation)