ENSL Beta Night Cup Videos and finals announcement

2»

Comments

• paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1974898:date=Sep 10 2012, 04:20 AM:name=blind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blind @ Sep 10 2012, 04:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What Wasabi said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mad props, sir. I like the cut of your jib.
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    I actually had to google those phrases :-)
    Very much appreciated, thanks.

Also bump info that I edited the opening post (added final games as YT links).
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Using the term rape isn't OK, you ###### idiots
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2012
    Can't see any reason to use it. It's both (at the very least) borderline offensive and completely unnecessary. I'm in no way a native speaker and even I can be far more verbally creative and meaningful than that.

Understandably slips do happen, but I don't think there's any particular reason to try to build a habit out of it. There's very little to gain in poking at such a sensitive subject.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    Referencing a word that has a secondary meaning of sexual misconduct is offensive, but enjoying watching/playing a game where humans are viciously murdered by monsters is all in good fun. Sounds about right.

Kind of like how showing more than half a second of a woman's nipple in cinema is enough to get the rating bumped up to R even if there is nothing else in the movie, but a show with an onscreen murder-suicide got rated PG-13. Seems legit.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1975174:date=Sep 10 2012, 08:08 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 10 2012, 08:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Referencing a word that has a secondary meaning of sexual misconduct is offensive, but enjoying watching/playing a game where humans are viciously murdered by monsters is all in good fun. Sounds about right.

Kind of like how showing more than half a second of a woman's nipple in cinema is enough to get the rating bumped up to R even if there is nothing else in the movie, but a show with an onscreen murder-suicide got rated PG-13. Seems legit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The normalisation of rape in a society has direct consequences on the lives of women (and prisoners if you're American). Don't be meaningfully oblique.

edit:
    <!--quoteo(post=1975186:date=Sep 10 2012, 08:20 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 10 2012, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who is discussing the normalisation of rape...? Rape (in sexual terms) is a violent crime. If you have no problem with depictions of violence (Which, yanno, includes <i>killing</i> people and such), then it's kind of disingenuous to act like rape is so horrible, but murder and other acts of violence are 'fun'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Videogames don't propagate social violence. Casual use of rape in every day conversation does perpetuate sexual violence.

Anyway, this is way offtopic. I apologise and I'm shutting up.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1975184:date=Sep 10 2012, 01:16 PM:name=MuYeah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MuYeah @ Sep 10 2012, 01:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The normalisation of rape in a society has direct consequences on the lives of women (and prisoners if you're American). Don't be meaningfully oblique.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who is discussing the normalisation of rape...? Rape (in sexual terms) is a violent crime. If you have no problem with depictions of violence (Which, yanno, includes <i>killing</i> people and such), then it's kind of disingenuous to act like rape is so horrible, but murder and other acts of violence are 'fun'.

Edit: At best disingenuous, at worst hypocritical.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    Come on guys, this is taking it too far.... Obviously the caster was not using any sexual definition of the word rape. The issue at hand is whether it is proper or not to use the word with the other definition in mind.

<a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape?s=t" target="_blank">http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape?s=t</a>

<a href="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape" target="_blank">http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape</a>

or any other dictionary

I do not see a reason to censor a word due to some other definition of it. That is why I originally responded, I do not understand why this was even brought up.

Glad this isnt a farming simulator game, might get in trouble for saying <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed" target="_blank">rapeseed</a>....
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Still, it would be wise to not use rape on livestreams.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    edited September 2012
    is this entire thread a joke?

"rape" in itself is not an offensive word, just like "kill" is not an offensive word.

"the team is getting killed"
    "the team is getting raped"

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->No.
    Consider yourself warned.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    edited September 2012
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    wow, this is quite the thread derailing
    edited September 2012
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, lets just go back to the original topic... In short, I think all casters will be avoiding the word "Rape"

Great job with the videos blind!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975309:date=Sep 11 2012, 12:04 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Sep 11 2012, 12:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In short, I think all casters will be avoiding the word "Rape"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But...then the terrorists have won.