ENSL Beta Night Cup Videos and finals announcement

blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
First of all, thanks for everyone tuning in, especially the viewers watching ryne and me casting :)
At peak we had over 160-200 viewers, so added to the ~1.2k of Hugh's stream it seems a lot of people enjoy watching NS2 matches already!

Here just a sum-up of the matches we did cast (I cut it from the livestream):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6B7CKb6ffs" target="_blank">Pre-Round Duplex vs. Exertus Game1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmhFwpanMZM" target="_blank">Pre-Round Duplex vs. Exertus Game2</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5sDm13pN5I" target="_blank">Semifinals #2 Nexzil vs. FINNSTACK Game1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCcJjACP0k" target="_blank">Semifinals #2 Nexzil vs. FINNSTACK Game2</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaoMPS9OOyc" target="_blank">Finals (no spoiler here) Game1</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7jw0ttrE0" target="_blank">Finals (no spoiler here) Game2</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gg6T-Rpk8A" target="_blank">Finals (no spoiler here) Game3</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnSI6u1LSU" target="_blank">Finals (no spoiler here) Game4</a>

The full videos of the stream with lots of background talk (and drama winkwink) can be found here: <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2</a>
I guess Hugh's/UWE's stream is already known to you ;)
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
<b>If you didn't heard yet, due to server issues will the last rounds of the finals be played tomorrow,
Sunday September 9th at 9:00 PST | 12:00 EST | 17:00 UTC | 18:00 CET
<a href="http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2" target="_blank">You can watch the match live here</a>.</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

ENSL announcement can be read <a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles/705" target="_blank">here</a>.

Again, thanks for watching, thanks to ryne (http://www.twitch.tv/rwryne) for his awesome commentary and big thanks to the players giving us those nice matches!

Keep on rolling! :)

*edit: Added sunday finals in youtube links. Also I forgot: thanks to nadyli from ENSL for organizing this event! I want more :-)

Comments

• NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    surely you deserve a cookie by now. Go have one!
  • blindblind Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71437Members, Squad Five Gold
    can i have a beer with that cookie?
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome casting guys!
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Keep up the great work blind
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great matches, and well played by the teams, I really enjoyed watching it
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seriously need to be thinking of us GMT folk blind. Now I have to put the effort into working out what that is in the UK :P
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1974351:date=Sep 9 2012, 04:18 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Sep 9 2012, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974351"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seriously need to be thinking of us GMT folk blind. Now I have to put the effort into working out what that is in the UK :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UTC = GMT.
  • Storm_SeekerStorm_Seeker Join Date: 2011-01-13 Member: 77359Members
    edited September 2012
    ...UTC doesn't mean GMT for us in the UK if we are on BST, which we are until Sunday, 28 October. Then we go back to GMT...

Just because we are British, we have our own way of messing things up...

British Summer Time = UTC + 1 hour, so it will be 6pm (18:00) for us in the UK.
    I am pretty sure, nadyli (ENSL admin who put up the times) didn't bother with daylight saving times ;)

Since it's 18:00 for me (Germany, CE(S)T), it's probably 17:00 for the UK :)
    My comment was directed more at paella, not at any of the ENSL guys.

Does the rest of Europe put their clocks forward too?

I'm just looking around the net and it appears:
    UTC = GMT (No idea why the Americans wanted to change it...)
    BST = UTC +1
    CET = UTC +1
    CEST = UTC +2

Is that right?

In which case;
    0900 PST = 17:00 BST = 16:00 UTC = 18:00 CEST

So it is not 17:00 UTC if my brain + the internet is correct?
    <a href="http://www.spice-3d.org/time.jsp?date=2012-9-9&tz1=PST&tz2=UTC" target="_blank">http://www.spice-3d.org/time.jsp?date=2012...PST&tz2=UTC</a>

F*cking timezones and summer saving... :@

Sorry for derailing the thread somewhat.
    I am really looking forward to the final matches after the little upset in the first round yesterday!
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    ENSL Night Cup ... that brings back memories ;D
    Storm, I think you are correct, but not 100% sure either. Match is in 1 hour from now (post time), that might be more precise :)
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    cheers blind, i was almost late! wake up america!!!
    Ryne will also co-cast again, he just woke up himself :D
    edited September 2012
    Gah, after all that I was out for tea anyway.

Just watched the replays on blindns2's twitch channel. Thank you very much for doing the casting Blind and Ryne. Thanks to nadyli for organising the tournament too.

WOW, that 3rd round had to be the best game ever, good effort both teams on that one.

@ 51:00 - that is frankly a master class in skulk teamwork. The timing of the strike was :O jaw-dropping. It made my eyes water.

GGs all round. Congratulations to Nexzil. Good tactics guys.

Looking forward to more games in the future. Especially between Nexzil and Archaea!

Thanks again for the awesome entertainment guys.
    I do want to make one suggestion for the various streamers/casters.

First, I think you guys have been doing a pretty good job. Casting games beyond going "a thing happened! Now another thing!" is tough, but you're clearly working on doing analysis, discussing whether you like or dislike a decision, all that kind of stuff. So that's great!

However, at least a couple folks have casually used the word "rape" to describe events in-game, and I think it would be best to try to eliminate that tendency.

1. It sours and sometimes ruins the listening experience for a lot of people
    2. It could well make people less likely to want to try to the game
    3. It's just plain ol' unprofessional
    4. It doesn't add anything of value to the cast

To explain my fourth point: the use of that particular word is, to you, just a way to add color to your commentary. But it's not the <i>only</i> way, or even a particularly good one. It's easy to eliminate and replace with other verbiage, losing nothing thereby. Doing so would only improve what you're doing.

The ns2 beta community has so far been actually pretty good - I don't see a lot of the casually awful behavior that I see in many other games, so it would be awesome if we could close up this blind spot. =)
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    If a particular language choice by a caster offends you; your best bet is to just email, PM, etc them directly and voice your concerns because that sort of thing will just devolve into the same back and forth argument the SC2 community had to deal with.

I'm pretty confident that sort of discussion won't sway anyone that doesn't want to be swayed anyways.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Paella I appreciate your feedback as I am sure all the other casters do, however sometimes it is an issue to not say something. I do agree the word rape and what it means can be offensive for some but sometimes you dont even realize what you say till its said. With that said I know that I will try to evaluate my choice of words in future casts.
    eh? - I tried to do that to start with, but the forums don't support PMing multiple people, and I didn't want anyone to feel that I was singling them out. I agree that forum arguments wouldn't be productive, but my plan was to just ignore any of standard arguments for keeping the word.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sometimes you dont even realize what you say till its said.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, we're all human, it's no bigs. As long as you're making a conscious effort to not use the word, I think you're set.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1974796:date=Sep 9 2012, 07:36 PM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Sep 9 2012, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Paella I appreciate your feedback as I am sure all the other casters do, however sometimes it is an issue to not say something. I do agree the word rape and what it means can be offensive for some but sometimes you dont even realize what you say till its said. With that said I know that I will try to evaluate my choice of words in future casts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In addition, (a) rape has definitions beyond the sexual one (i.e. see the book Rape of Nanking or a dictionary) and (b) very common usage in gaming using these definitions (i.e. base rape)

Obviously, since it is controversial, it should perhaps be avoided but this suggestion should be sent via PM....bringing it up like this is just going to draw attention to it <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect</a>

edit: to be a bit more clear, I agree the word should not be used (and its not apart of my vernacular so I dont believe I was the one to say it) but to a degree I am defending its user (though not its use)
    Ryne, regarding PMs, read my response to eh?.

There's no need to defend anyone, I was making a polite suggestion/request, I'm pretty sure everyone's capable of handling that.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1974807:date=Sep 9 2012, 08:06 PM:name=paella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paella @ Sep 9 2012, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ryne, regarding PMs, read my response to eh?.

There's no need to defend anyone, I was making a polite suggestion/request, I'm pretty sure everyone's capable of handling that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So instead of "singling someone out" you post it for all on the forums?
    <!--quoteo(post=1974814:date=Sep 9 2012, 11:19 PM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Sep 9 2012, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So instead of "singling someone out" you post it for all on the forums?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah?

Doesn't seem like that big a deal, tbh. Not sure what terrible outcome you're worried about.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I don't think using the word "rape" to describe someone getting owned is offensive. If you find it offensive then don't want the caster, simple as that.
    Ok, so people making bad arguments is a bad outcome, right.

But as to why the initial suggestion wasn't a PM: because I couldn't send it to multiple people at once, and I think that people seeing WasabiOne's and your response, Ryne, is valuable. So I think posting the suggestion here has already proven itself better than sending several <i>seperate</i> PMs because now your guys' responses have been posted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1974796:date=Sep 10 2012, 04:36 AM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Sep 10 2012, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Paella I appreciate your feedback as I am sure all the other casters do, however sometimes it is an issue to not say something. I do agree the word rape and what it means can be offensive for some but sometimes you dont even realize what you say till its said. With that said I know that I will try to evaluate my choice of words in future casts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What Wasabi said.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    edited September 2012
    try using destroyed, demolished, beaten, outplayed, outgunned, easy prey, slaughtered etc.

i also found the use of the word rape inappropriate. It's used very often in other esport casts as well, and leaves an immature impression to me. I think in esports the word is interpreted a little out of context by many, since it's used so widely, and many non native english speakers hear it in this context only(mostly). For me, once i translated it in my mind, i knew it shouldn't be used.

edit: great cast and great games! Was really good to see the first really competitive games imo. Well played everyone. And great casting as well.
    edited September 2012
    For clarification: It was me using the word "raped" and it wasn't intentional. Actually I was looking for the word "slaugthered" or "destroyed" what I normally use, but given english is not my native language I sometimes struggle finding the right word for what I have in mind. In mid-sentence I often end up having to use the word coming to my mind first describing closest what I think and in this case I obviously failed. So again, no offense <strike>intended</strike> taken, I appreciate every feedback I can get.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    Well, at least you guys made me laugh. People speaking how inappropriate is to use word "rape" when words like "own", "destroy" or "kill" are commonly used. Words themselves are not normative, but it's people who give meaning to words and make them normative. If the word rape in gaming context doesn’t refer actual sexual violence, I don't see why it should be banned. At least I would also find words "I owned you" really inappropriate if I didn't understood the context. That fellow with hot temper said something about language-games, oh yeah that dude with attitude was Wittgenstein.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the cast. Good job. My 2 cent:

- 1st game was decided after the first two minutes. Marines got complete map control (+6 RTs!) and aliens didn't pressured RTs. Sadly we see again how soon you can determine the outcome of a game. (Even more as spectator.)
    - 2nd game take a bit longer. But after the hive in crossroads was discovered by duplex and even than not attacked (or atrium), one could see how this ends. Good pressuring on the alien RTs in early game, but aliens depend more on hives than RTs as this match shows.

- 3rd game was actually pretty balanced at first. Marines made many mistakes. Also the alien com. He could have dropped a shift in nano to create a forward spawn. He had so much res for the whole match. But I think after the second hive got killed and the fades couldn't turn the tides without blink, the outcome was pretty clear.
    - 4th game was interesting too. But you could tell from the lack of upgrades at the marine side, that this won't turn out well.

- 5th game was short but surprising. Aliens with no RTs but than the marines have no obs in base AND the com didn't manage to put another CC in Atrium in time.
    - 6th game was decided after 6 minutes. Seeing as the marines played very defensive and did nearly no damage to the alien economy (Beside killing that celerity spur.) With 2 hives and 3 untouched RTs it was only a waiting for the fades.