Unable to Set Up NS2 Server

DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
Thanks to Soul_Rider and oldassgamer for trying to help. Seems the Belkin Router is the culprit,

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Belkin F7D2301v1 router will not allow you to forward enough ports, to run Half Life Steam Server. You should try using the DMZ portion of this router if it is available. Alternatively you can try switching the router to bridged mode. You will need to contact your ISP to switch to bridged mode, so they can make the required changed on their end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

DMZ is out, I am screwed. But at least we have an explanation.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Router's are fairly cheap. I don't think it would be difficult to get one that would work with Steam if you really wanted to host a NS2 server.
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    I'd need to solicit advice on what (reasonably priced) wireless routers will allow HL Steam servers to run.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pretty much any router that's <a href="https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?id=4&t=qanda#9121-WIFJ-7222" target="_blank">not on this list</a> should work.
    That list seems to be pretty sketchy, given no Belkins are listed, for one reason.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    Hey Depot, Come to my teamspeak 3 server. And I'll show you a list of routers that support tomato. With that software you'll have full control of your network. Tomato also has very good QOS.
  • leeleatherwoodleeleatherwood Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155623Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1974424:date=Sep 9 2012, 05:12 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 9 2012, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey Depot, Come to my teamspeak 3 server. And I'll show you a list of routers that support tomato. With that software you'll have full control of your network. Tomato also has very good QOS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is your 2nd best bet if you want to run a server from home. You will need the QoS.

Your first best bet is a pfSense or Smoothwall box.
    Thanks all for the suggestions / help. Right now my cycling is consuming all my spare time / monies, and I hope to address this soon.