Can somebody recommend me a Laptop for NS2?

MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
<div class="IPBDescription">40~60 fps is fairly enough for me</div>
As i wrote a topic to ask about performance improvement of current build, i saw a comment telling me that a laptop runs ns2 with 40~60 fps.
I can play now with desktop at home with 50~60 fps, but my vacation is soon to be end, and then i will never be able to play ns2 because i have in my room only an old laptop which is just for business, has not that bad RAM and CPu but has Intel Graphic Chip and therefore cannot even run CS1.6 well(having 5 fps with half-life engine sometimes... but it was bought only for my work, so don't blame me...).

So, i would like to buy another laptop probably only to play NS2 in the future, maybe next year or sometime.
Therefore, can anybody recommend me a appropriate laptop to play ns2? It's fairly enough if i can play ns2 with 30~60 fps. Of course, it would be nicer if there is a laptop which can afford to give more than 80 fps!

Comments

• Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    Here's a previous post of mine, my laptop is 3 years old and was $1500 at the time I purchased it. Gameplay feels smooth to me at the settings I'm currently playing at.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Getting 20-40 fps on a 18 player server on my laptop, specs below.
    All low settings (everything off except multicore rendering and texture streaming), 800x600 res in windowed mode.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->        Operating System
                MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
            CPU
                Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz    47 °C
                Penryn 45nm Technology
            RAM
                4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
            Motherboard
                ASUSTeK Computer Inc. N80Vn (Socket 478)    57 °C
            Graphics
                SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
                1024MB GeForce 9650M GT (ASUStek Computer Inc)    59 °C
            Hard Drives
                298GB Hitachi Hitachi HTS543232L9A300 ATA Device (SATA)    32 °C
                3.73GB SD Memory Card (SD)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <a href="http://rog.asus.com/" target="_blank">http://rog.asus.com/</a> is a good site.

I have the G74S and i run NS2 at about 50-70 FPS and my hardware is a year old. No complaints here.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    edited September 2012
    i7 2.2, gtx485m, 4gb ddr3: 1080p, everything on low/off: 40-50 FPS and dropping down to 20 in tough situations.

Edit: im kinda confused..either the performance of the pervious posters is incorrect, or something is really strange with NS2. I got a better setup ....and less performance? Cuz of 32-bit win?
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    2.2 GHz seems quite low for ns2, having additional cores doesn't help much there. i got a quadcore on 2.3 GHz and merely got 30ish fps on average according to a benchmark i ran in b216.
    that said, a lot of things go into the final performance. this obviously includes the OS and drivers too.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    most laptops run around 2-3 ghz and theres next to no room for overclocking

for ns2 CPU frequency is the most important aspect so you should try get a 3 Ghz laptop

im running 3.8 Ghz on my PC and not even i get 50-60 FPS, i average around 40 FPS

Performance will most likely improve, but i would still go for a 3ghz laptop if i were you, thats if you want 60+ FPS in the future (if ns2 can ever perform that good). Also keep in mind that people have had trouble in the past because their laptops automatically underclock when they get too hot, this can be turned off in the bios :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    3+ghz and you will be ok
  • pvthochpvthoch Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970419:date=Sep 3 2012, 07:27 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Sep 3 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://rog.asus.com/" target="_blank">http://rog.asus.com/</a> is a good site.

I have the G74S and i run NS2 at about 50-70 FPS and my hardware is a year old. No complaints here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i call bs on this i got 2860qm 3.6 with 8 cache i got 30-44 drop to 15-20 when the aliens finishing off last marine base i got the same framerate as my dual core 2.7 desktop frend the only CPu i know of that run this beta at 60+ fps are the desktop 4.0+ ones
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think there is a notebook that can do this at this time. Unless you talk 30-60 fps in the beginning of the game, but endgame combat no chance.

Most important thing, go for the highest CPU power you can get on a notebook PER core.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    A gaming laptop that can handle ns2 (tho still not near as good as a desktop) will cost you around ~1500€

For <b><u>half</u></b> of that money(if you also need a monitor, its ~180€ more) you can get a high end desktop pc that can run ns2 <u>2 times</u> as good.

So i would suggest buying a desktop and keeping your laptop.

Its not possible to play really decent on a laptop anyways (if you dont use it like a desktop with monitor keyboard and mouse, even if performance wasnt an issue...)
    Okay maybe for casual play like mmos and single player its good enough. (tho im only speaking for myself, at least i find it really uncomfortable to play on a laptop)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree, I have an old laptop and it is really struggling with all new games now. I play NS2 on lowest settings for everything and performance is poor.

You are better off having a laptop for work and a PC especially for gaming imo.
  • pvthochpvthoch Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970452:date=Sep 3 2012, 08:48 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Sep 3 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A gaming laptop that can handle ns2 (tho still not near as good as a desktop) will cost you around ~1500€

For <b><u>half</u></b> of that money(if you also need a monitor, its ~180€ more) you can get a high end desktop pc that can run ns2 <u>2 times</u> as good.

So i would suggest buying a desktop and keeping your laptop.

Its not possible to play really decent on a laptop anyways (if you dont use it like a desktop with monitor keyboard and mouse, even if performance wasnt an issue...)
    Okay maybe for casual play like mmos and single player its good enough. (tho im only speaking for myself, at least i find it really uncomfortable to play on a laptop)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if you got the money and i play extremely fine confortable and well on my overpriced alienware laptop by the way
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I just bought a Lenovo Y580 and it runs ns2 like a champ. although its running an i7 and a 660GT 2GB :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sager's are also pretty good gaming laptops for the price: <a href="http://www.sagernotebook.com/" target="_blank">http://www.sagernotebook.com/</a>. Though, I'd go with a reseller rather than ordering directly through them.
  • gamma113gamma113 Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970419:date=Sep 4 2012, 02:27 AM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Sep 4 2012, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://rog.asus.com/" target="_blank">http://rog.asus.com/</a> is a good site.

I have the G74S and i run NS2 at about 50-70 FPS and my hardware is a year old. No complaints here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got the same laptop, but struggling with 18 to 24 players server at mid to late game. My fps is around 50 to 15. Otherwise start is around 40-60fps. What setting do you use? driver version? overclock?
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its not possible to play really decent on a laptop anyways (if you dont use it like a desktop with monitor keyboard and mouse, even if performance wasnt an issue...)
    Okay maybe for casual play like mmos and single player its good enough. (tho im only speaking for myself, at least i find it really uncomfortable to play on a laptop)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i went through several desktop PCs and finally decided to replace my last one with a laptop (for studies + gaming). performance is obviously lower for the same money, yea. but the rest is just a matter of getting used to it imo. from what i've heard it seems to be rather important to get a non-reflective screen though.
    big bonus for me: i got power on my balcony which changed my skin from will-get-3rd-degree-sunburn-during-moonlight to something more healthy.
  • perkyperky Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157042Members
    I use a 2009 Macbook pro in bootcamp with windows 7 64 bit.
    4Gb ram, Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz and Nvidia 9600M Gt.

I get around 20-30 FPS:
    medium textures,
    1024x768 fullscreen,
    atmospherics,
    shadows,
    multicore,
    texture streaming.

However I do get spikes of really low fps during big battles when everyone is in the same room, about 2FPS.
    However the ready room is just fine, it's just with all the gas clouds and grenade bombs and mines and blinking fades
    and bullets in one room that really makes it unplayable.

I don't know how much a 2009 macbook pro would cost today, but bear in mind I use it primarily for work, gaming is secondary.
  • rad4Christrad4Christ Join Date: 2002-01-31 Member: 139Members
    I have a C2Duo 2009 Macbook with 8GB of ram, and it really struggles on NS2.

I just got a 15" MBP i7, and it's running on full everything at 1280x800. I haven't had a single hiccup yet.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    These days "Macs" are worthless for both gaming and "work" since they're just standardized, consolized PCs with a simplified OS and x4 price jack up, especially if you want 8 gigs of ram. They're also more prone to overheating due underpowered fans(to make them quiet) and cramped design.

You can find much better i7 laptops with better videocards and 8 gigs of ram that will run NS2 great as well as any work/rendering/encoding you need done at around a quarter of the price.
    when i bought my laptop back then, a similar apple product would have costed roughly twice as much.
    so yea, don't just buy it because it's a well-known brand: compare different ones for their specs or test-reviews / awards.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Laptops are for coding, Desktops are for gaming.

Trying to mix those two roles is going to have diminishing returns once you move beyond rendering bejeweled or pong.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again. Gaming laptops are just the tallest midget.
    If you want a gaming rig, buy a desktop. If you want a laptop, don't expect performance without spending tremendously more, still get subpar performance and zero ability to upgrade down the line.

And Apple gear? Enjoy paying two to four times the price, just to get the icon and three-year-outdated hardware. There's a reason a majority of iphone cases have a hole on the back specifically to show off the logo. That's all it is. Conspicuous consumption.
  • rad4Christrad4Christ Join Date: 2002-01-31 Member: 139Members
    Don't want to start an anti-Apple rant (too late), or an argument. Suffice to say I prefer their notebook hardware to any other for simplicity and usability, and OSX is much more useful to me than windows or *nix.

All that aside, the above tallest midget comment nails it. You can build a terrific PC for very little, and still have plenty of money to have an inexpensive laptop for travel.
  • perkyperky Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157042Members
    Can't remember who said it but one of the developers in a Q&A said his goal was to get NS2 running smoothly on his macbook pro.

Price seemed a non issue to me when I bought it because I got student discount plus the VAT back. I originally got it for final cut pro, an OS X only software, but since then I've fallen in love with the OS, contrary to what I've heard a lot of people say, it is a great environment for software development, the UI of OS X is simple and you can easily access the UNIX foundation.

Anyway without going too off-topic, I disagree with anyone saying laptops shouldn't be considered for gaming. If you're a business making games you can't forget about the demographics using a laptop. I think NS2 b218 still has a way to go with performance as there are many other games I can play without hiccups (l4d2, just cause 2, orcs must die 2, etc..).
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973685:date=Sep 7 2012, 03:53 PM:name=perky)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (perky @ Sep 7 2012, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyway without going too off-topic, I disagree with anyone saying laptops shouldn't be considered for gaming. If you're a business making games you can't forget about the demographics using a laptop. I think NS2 b218 still has a way to go with performance as there are many other games I can play without hiccups (l4d2, just cause 2, orcs must die 2, etc..).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Neither you, nor I, nor OP are in a business making games. We don't need to worry about laptop gaming.